Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski Holiday. Self drive v flying

C

Chris

Would like fellow Cali owners opinion on whether it's cheaper to drive rather than fly?
I have been a snowboarder for ten years and this year is the first time I have not booked. For the last 5 years we have gone by coach via Dover to french alps (Morzine). I got feed up with flying and the coach was easier. Trouble is most companies that used a coach have decided, due to cost, its not economical any more and flying is the preferred option!

I am interested in if any one has used their Cali's to travel to the alps? Did it work out cheaper? Any tips you could share so i can sell the idea to the girlfriend, and perhaps if work allows, book next Christmas there! That would be special!
Just feel I have the perfect vehicle to cruise to the Alps, but is it worth the hassle?
Thanks. Chris

Hi chris

We are a family of 4 and for the last 10 years we have done a mixture of flying or driving. We now drive every year for the family week as it is half term and cost of flight are getting silly. Obviously the more people in the car the better.

We only got our cali Oct so have never traveled down in that but were very tempered to use next year as we normally head off friday night and stay in hotel in reims, on return home we tend to do in one day (long day). With the cali that would save the hotel cost and make it even more tempting.

I do a lot of traveling with work and hate airports, I personally prefer driving as you are in control of your schedule. I have been stuck at many an airport for hours on end and it would have worked out quicker to drive!!

Whichever you choose hope you have good ski trip, i have long weekend in Les Houches early Jan can't wait :)

Mark

I go every march with my mates, in one of my VW Shuttles. Obviously for us it works out cheaper than flying, as we split all the costs 8 ways. However what is the biggest bonus, is the fact we drive overnight on the Friday, go boarding as soon as we arrive on the Saturday, then leave the following Saturday evening straight after finishing boarding. So for 7 days accommodation, we get 8 days boarding, whereas if you were flying you'd only get 6. The tolls work out at approx £80 each way, and the fuel is approx £250, which is Bognor to Alpe D'Huez and back. We always go channel tunnel, where we use tesco club card vouchers. It's basically a win, win, win situation!