Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Site recommendations Pyrenees

K

koups

HI All,

We are off to France and have left half our trip a little fluid. I am keen to get around to the Cirque de Gavarnie or around that area. I wonder if I might ask if anyone has any top tips for sites around that area.

As a supplementary question, do people tend to book sites or do you just drive around and see if space?

Thanks!

There is a campsite in Gavarnie, we have never used it so can't comment on what it is like.
However, if you take the road off to the right just before the village which leads up to the ski area there are loads of wild camping spots with fantastic views. Go the end of the tarmac and its a short easy walk to the Spanish border, one foot in France, one in Spain. If you want a view of the Cirque from above and are OK with mountain walking then get up to the refuge just below the Breche de Roland. Be aware the weather can change quickly especially late afternoon so be prepared. We ended up in a blizzard one day in August and had to shelter inthe refuge.
If its outside French holidays you should be OK without booking.
Have alook at the Cirque de Troumouse as well, reached by turning left in Gedre before Gavarnie.
If you see a silver Cali around there in the next few weeks it could be us.

That's great advice thank you. I was going to ask about some wild camping spots. Really great to be in the mountains and not limited by campsites. I think we may drive up and see what we find. Might have to get a site for a few nights though just to hose down the kids!

Thanks for the advice on the weather turning. Will bring appropriate clothes and gear.

Back