Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show Us Your Awning Setup

You positioned the van wrongly. It's too far from the awning therefore the whole thing is being pulled over and therefore wonky. The van is also not parked forward enough.

We have one of those awnings and have only ever tried to connect it once. Too much faffing around. Don't bother to try anymore.

LOL

Yes that too! :D

it may not be all that important as I think on it, but any more guesses? (apart from the dodgy alignment issues)
galli-iii-low.jpg

You have a version for a sliding door on the right.

galli-iii-low.jpg

You have a version for a sliding door on the right.

Bang on!!!!!! :talktothehand

Cart before the horse moment.....I was deadset on getting a conversion so rather hastily bought the awning for Transporter conv and not a California. Bit of a 'Doh!!' decision. Such was my excitement at getting a campervan.

I thought about swapping it as Id really rather have the Cali facing forward as this works best. IMO.

You live and you learn!

Cart before the horse moment.....I was deadset on getting a conversion so rather hastily bought the awning for Transporter conv and not a California. Bit of a 'Doh!!' decision. Such was my excitement at getting a campervan.

I thought about swapping it as Id really rather have the Cali facing forward as this works best. IMO.

You live and you learn!

I think yours is a better setup. You have your open porch nearer the boot where you keep your chairs, bbq, spare sweater, etc. Have the rear window and the porch facing the best views - half the time the front windscreen will be obstructed by a curtain anyway.

I think yours is a better setup. You have your open porch nearer the boot where you keep your chairs, bbq, spare sweater, etc. Have the rear window and the porch facing the best views - half the time the front windscreen will be obstructed by a curtain anyway.

I read your comment out to the good lady and she was nodding in full agreement :D.

I think I am/was hungup (probs my OCD) on everything facing the same way.

You live and you learn!
If you don't connect, it doesn't matter which way round it is.

We use the safari room , I think that's what it's called, which attaches to the awning. We tried other tents but this is one my wife can use. We went to the club shop and they had one on display which she pullled down and replaced. Luckily they had one in bright yellow which color codes with the gecko decals on the tailgate.
Great extra space as we tend to set up and use bikes wherever we are. It's very easy to use.

You live and you learn!
Certain campsites insist on your awning being on the right of the pitch, which means driving into the pitch forwards. With your incorrectly purchased awning you are still looking out when set up in front of the awning, I think that works better! and as said above access to boot stuff.

Certain campsites insist on your awning being on the right of the pitch, which means driving into the pitch forwards. With your incorrectly purchased awning you are still looking out when set up in front of the awning, I think that works better! and as said above access to boot stuff.
We usually drive nose in anyway. 1/ the dog’s sleep/chillax zone is on the passenger seat (Kitchen side) facing forward and he likes it quiet. 2/ I like the back facing out and open, it’s where I store my outdoor cooking stuff, am thinking of doing a tailgate, pullout, shelf/table/worktop @Auberg-ine stylee 3/ I like our awning positioned so it’s not side on to someone else’s if pitches are close, I’d rather have our “closed” van side next to them.

So we've just returned from our very first trip with our T6 Beach. Learned loads even tho it was only 2 nights away but we knew this would be the case and have already started planning for this weekend.

Our biggest requirement is for an awning, 2 adults plus a 1 year old means we need some space to keep car seats and buggies etc. won't be sleeping in it but will be using it for a drink or 2 in the evening once our little girl is sleeping. So with this in mind, Show us your awing setup, lets see what everyones using and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Matty
Vango Magra....easy to put up and take down

56A694E1-BC51-4DAA-A743-7D8EA9CE0DB3.jpeg

7648AC4E-9310-4D53-9CA6-8223C4AE6A7B.jpeg

Who’s awning solution packs down to the smallest pack / bag etc?

Sold our Rainblockers and went the Decathlon route:
d517245fff6da9dc8fca42fa83c6b493.jpg

9f138181da64f179b24a9c3e5259bc28.jpg

We'll see what suits us more...but packable... not small just okay

I am very proud of our set up, for a family of 4. There isn’t much I can downsize by apart from using the expensive side door table instead of using our small cheap camping table. We are campers that just like a good nights sleep so we have a 2 x 2 seat beach. The awning is the smallest we can get away with even if it is for just 2 nights we are a big fan of the kampa dometic cross air and it fits perfectly on top of the storage bench. Our porta potty and the children’s bikes get stored in the little corridor bit that attaches to the van. We did once try without the awning but we found it too cramped even when leaving our tea making facilities outside and eating all meals out. We haven’t gone for the wind out awning route, maybe one day we will take the plunge.

FDCA4B12-9EB5-4DE1-BA03-41D2DD12E36F.jpeg

F67D6883-05F1-430A-885F-863BE929AFDD.png

5ACE709B-3214-4F3C-B325-471AC8595DC2.png

Perhaps not the best photography but, if you’re not intending to sleep in it, this setup is super versatile for rain / sun shelter, privacy and storage. It also only takes 5 mins to attach to the existing California sunshade and packed down takes up no space at all. Don’t remember the exact name of the product but it’s in the club shop!

So we've just returned from our very first trip with our T6 Beach. Learned loads even tho it was only 2 nights away but we knew this would be the case and have already started planning for this weekend.

Our biggest requirement is for an awning, 2 adults plus a 1 year old means we need some space to keep car seats and buggies etc. won't be sleeping in it but will be using it for a drink or 2 in the evening once our little girl is sleeping. So with this in mind, Show us your awing setup, lets see what everyones using and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Matty

457F5418-F3DE-4690-A24D-DA1942591455.jpeg

3B1C6829-23B0-4605-A357-7335CBDDF9CE.jpeg

I am very proud of our set up, for a family of 4. There isn’t much I can downsize by apart from using the expensive side door table instead of using our small cheap camping table. We are campers that just like a good nights sleep so we have a 2 x 2 seat beach. The awning is the smallest we can get away with even if it is for just 2 nights we are a big fan of the kampa dometic cross air and it fits perfectly on top of the storage bench. Our porta potty and the children’s bikes get stored in the little corridor bit that attaches to the van. We did once try without the awning but we found it too cramped even when leaving our tea making facilities outside and eating all meals out. We haven’t gone for the wind out awning route, maybe one day we will take the plunge.

View attachment 68093

View attachment 68094

View attachment 68095
I think that is a great setup and the way we plan to go, just waiting for Vango Magra to be available.... and our Cali to be delivered. Is that a higher portaPotti? Need the higher one to sit at a reasonable height

Good afternoon,

The last trip we did was in July to England. It was a round trip moving along from one campsite to the next. Most of the nights we setup the awning because of the daily rain. This way we increased the living space.

We got from the forum shop the "Comfortz VW awning" last year. We chose this version because of:
  • Price
  • Pack size and weight
  • Time to setup
There are better or more solid awnings available no doubt, but including putting up the awning the pair of us can setup camp less than 15 minutes. Meaning the setup of the awning actually won't add a lot of extra time. Packing everything away and get ready to go takes a bit longer, I would say 20 minutes.

1603279122853.png
1603279205815.png

1603279289582.png

Happy California,
Eberhard

I think that is a great setup and the way we plan to go, just waiting for Vango Magra to be available.... and our Cali to be delivered. Is that a higher portaPotti? Need the higher one to sit at a reasonable height
[/QUOTE
This is actually an old Elsan visa 268 which they no longer make anymore. We borrowed it from the in laws and we now have the much smaller qube 335 which hopefully will work for us. I found that I had to make 2 trips to the chemical disposal because it stored so much as I unable to carry the 2 halves together. That doesn’t take away what a good piece of equipment it is.