Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should we spend so much money on a VW California Ocean for a young family?

We started with a T2 bay devon conversion in mid-1970's which was used with our young children as both a camper and fun family car - for 14 years (great for shopping!). After our 5 kids finally grew up and left home we bought a Brazilian T2c bay Danbury conversion that we used for 5 years of camping and general load-carrying before finally getting our current (hopefully rust-proofed) Beach. We continue to camp (we would like to get away each month of the year?) and also use it for day-outings and also load-carrying. Whilst we have probably spent a lifetimes worth of hotel-rooms-amount-of-money on all of this, but we would not have done it differently. The freedom of being self-contained and mobile is great. We love seeing more and more of the UK and are constantly finding new sights to see. Just occasionally we would like to camp when it isn't raining - that did happen twice I think.
Go for it - enjoy

When I was 4 years old, I knew all the car brands and models that passed our house. Prototype 'boys love cars'.
I loved the moment that I gained an extra dimension in mobility when I got my first motorbike and traveled around Europe. But I have had no interest in owning a car whatsoever, despite my early age hobby. I drove company cars and owned a few second-hand cars but it was always just a mean of transport.

That all changed when I bought our third-hand well-used California. I would sell anything to keep that car in the family. And I like to add that we should have bought a California camper 15 years sooner.

So, for me it is worth every penny I spend on it. And if I win the jackpot, I won't hesitate a moment to hurry to a dealer to order a new one (mine has a track record of 365K km).

Last edited:
Retired young and now have grandchildren. Like my wife and I love out door activities mountain biking, surfing wild swimming....
So I did the maths between the TOTAL cost of ownership (cradle to grave) of new Cali Ocean Plus Holidays based around owning a campervan (Cali as daily driver too) and alternativev Total cost of buying a nice 2 year old prestige SUV plus lots of nice holidays that does not involve campervanning. Result the bottom line cost was about the same. So bought the Cali as my heart wanted one. No regrets at all. I was surprised how much use and fun we have when using it for day trips out, never mind holidays. The cali provides a geat base for those who enjoy active life style. Currently van is in for repair and have a prestige SUV on hire until it returns. This has just reinforced my decision to go for the Cali. Space in the van will be tight with children if your age so may need to factor in a driveway awning. Don't rush an driveawy awning try and borrow one first to get a feel which type and size would work best for you. There is a learning curve before you find the setup that will fit your needs. Often less is more.

The truth is, if you want one vehicle which works as an everyday car, going on day trips, weekend camping then the cali is it. But it's not as convenient as a car for around town and not as good a camper as a motorhome or bigger campervan. With 4 people it's cramped for camping, especially if you start loading it with stuff. For a 1-2 week camping holiday, you might struggle. You can do it... you just spend a lot of your time moving things around, setting things up, erecting awning etc.

We tried the beach for 2 years and now going to sell it and have a car and larger camper (our own luton conversion) instead. But our kids are younger and have more "stuff" along with them and we're not very good at travelling light

Good luck! They're very nice... but out of my price range!

We have a five year old and have just today bought our very first cali. I am a worrier so will no doubt lose lots of sleep about whether this is the right decision or not but we have wanted one for so long and life is for living. If it is everything I dreamed it would be, life will be sweet. If not, we'll sell on and have no regrets. Now I just need to keep reading that and stop myself having a nervous breakdown over the amount of money we have just transferred!

We have a five year old and have just today bought our very first cali. I am a worrier so will no doubt lose lots of sleep about whether this is the right decision or not but we have wanted one for so long and life is for living. If it is everything I dreamed it would be, life will be sweet. If not, we'll sell on and have no regrets. Now I just need to keep reading that and stop myself having a nervous breakdown over the amount of money we have just transferred!
Experience in a Cali counts for a lot.

We spent a full year touring Europe in our Beach with two boys aged 2 and 3 at the start of our adventure. We packed far too much stuff. Now three years into ownership and a two week camping holiday in France is a doddle.

We have left home after school and arrived at a motorway aire in central France by midnight (English time) and all been tucked up in bed literally within ten minutes of stopping. For short overnight stops the boys go on the multiflex. Luggage remains undisturbed below.

IMG_2093.JPG

I had the same conversation with myself about the amount of money I was about to spend, and I haven’t got kids!
I gave up a fully paid for T4 Campervan and now spend a lot per month but, I can’t think of anything else that would add as much value to my life as the Cali does so... no regrets
3338ab2d784927fde5dbc807350ad866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same conversation with myself about the amount of money I was about to spend, and I haven’t got kids!
I gave up a fully paid for T4 Campervan and now spend a lot per month but, I can’t think of anything else that would add as much value to my life as the Cali does so... no regrets

Where's this taken Please? Love the pic.

Experience in a Cali counts for a lot.

We spent a full year touring Europe in our Beach with two boys aged 2 and 3 at the start of our adventure. We packed far too much stuff. Now three years into ownership and a two week camping holiday in France is a doddle.

We have left home after school and arrived at a motorway aire in central France by midnight (English time) and all been tucked up in bed literally within ten minutes of stopping. For short overnight stops the boys go on the multiflex. Luggage remains undisturbed below.

View attachment 54372
How have you made that bed so big?

I did too, and mine was only a beach. However my Beach is now almost entirely paid off, I will own it outright and bizarrely in 4 years and 46k miles, I've not lost a lot of money on it!

Plus I got to see numerous countries and take our dogs with us. We have met some wonderful new friends from the club here and even in different nations. @hotel california @Kmann @Auberg-ine @SailSki to name but a few.

Experiences have been priceless and yup it was a lot of money but it has been worthwhile every day I drive the van.

2d34ade33c651c0078c8e45ab512a72c.jpg

2fda7ddd1943e8ccd33c9273a39d8b92.jpg

3a151207c272ad619cc4b3ea7824c376.jpg

1fc1a3eb4d78020b14c19c1e2fd5c848.jpg

dec93dcf-0b87-4099-8c0c-7d079e09b71a-jpeg.49569

c4b39c42-d632-4a83-9681-0c95a7ed2834-jpeg.49571

[media]

vW stars.jpg
As you may have guessed, I am trying to tempt you ;)

I did too, and mine was only a beach. However my Beach is now almost entirely paid off, I will own it outright and bizarrely in 4 years and 46k miles, I've not lost a lot of money on it!

Plus I got to see numerous countries and take our dogs with us. We have met some wonderful new friends from the club here and even in different nations. @hotel california @Kmann @Auberg-ine @SailSki to name but a few.

Experiences have been priceless and yup it was a lot of money but it has been worthwhile every day I drive the van.
As you may have guessed, I am trying to tempt you ;)
We don't need tempting any more, we just need VW to deliver our van! Thank you so much to everyone that has replied.

Wish I knew how... even just for trips in the cali so I could fit them in the drawers...

Wish I knew how... even just for trips in the cali so I could fit them in the drawers...

There’s a whole thread on how I did it.

With the bench pre-positioned to lower into the bed, I have two plywood storage crates that are just low enough to remain in-situ when the bench is lowered. Resting on top of them are two plywood trays which can be slid under the van if the bench is to be lowered. Resting on top of the crates is a 150cm wide plywood worktop. I can make a perfectly flat 1.00 x 1.50 bed on top of the multiflex and plywood tabletop.

What is really neat is that if I want to make the full sized bed, all that needs to come out of the van is the plywood worktop and the two trays. All will slide under the van.

However, accessing anything from the plywood crates can be a faff, so we tend to stow things in them that we are unlikely to need unless camped with the driveaway awning up.

we camped with a Landrover for years with the children when they were younger and have owned some great camping defenders but two years ago we bought a pre reg 150 ocean manual as a 50th birthday prezzie to ourselves and had so much fun the Landrover is up forsale, I wish we took the plunge when the children were younger.
one life live it !