Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shoe Rack - heater near it?

C

CampervanOwner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm thinking of getting a shoe rack that fits just inside the sliding door. I've noticed there's a grill there (bottom right of the rear seats as you're sitting on them). Is this a heater outlet? I'm concerned any shoes put there would impede the heat (or melt my crocs!). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thank you.

It is and it gets hot. Not sure I’d put a rack there. We just place ours behind the drivers seat.

We have ours there and not a single problem. It gets hot yes, but even with our plastic Birkenstock sandals, 0 issues :)

It’s not hot hot it’s a/c warm at best 23 degrees c !

Have you found a shoe rack that will fit there as we have been thinking about doing the same thing?
I also wondered about that vent, but nothing seems to come out of it when the diesel heater is on so I assumed it might be linked to the ‘car’ heating/AC system - sounds like that might be right from the other comments.

Have you found a shoe rack that will fit there as we have been thinking about doing the same thing?
I also wondered about that vent, but nothing seems to come out of it when the diesel heater is on so I assumed it might be linked to the ‘car’ heating/AC system - sounds like that might be right from the other comments.
It’s not AC. It’s the diesel heater outlet. It should pump out hot air when on. We find it pumps out very hot air at first in order to raise the ambient temperature.

*Edit - I thought it was the vents next to the drivers door, been corrected. TBH I've never noticed vents the other side. :D

Last edited:
It’s not AC. It’s the diesel heater outlet. It should pump out hot air when on. We find it pumps out very hot air at first in order to raise the ambient temperature.
Hot air hasn’t come out of the vent by the seat when we’ve had the diesel heater on, it only comes out from the vent behind the driver’s seat. Should it come out of both vents?

The Busboxx shoe rack fits well on the step. Looks good and lots of functionality besides shoe storage. No issues with vents.

I made my own To match my table covering - plans attached
5.5mm ply wood (not the thickness of ply suggested on the plans) 5.5mm is light weight sturdy and easy to work with
i added an extra removable shelf (held In With Velcro - photo shows it removed)
car mat from pound land on top, broom handle either end to stop stuff sliding off
Plans attached - I made mine larger in length so it is the correct length when the rear seat is in bed mode.

it’s held onto the vent and the tie down ring with double sided Velcro looped around both individually

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

Attachments

• 02 Bulli Hackers Schuhregal California Zeichnung v2.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I think you’re confusing your vents.
The op is referring to the CPillar , “(bottom right of the rear seats as you're sitting on them)”, not the B pillar vents for the night heater you’re referring to ?

It's the heater outlet from the rear Hivac heating/Aircon unit that only works with engine On.
Nothing to do with the diesel Parking Heater vents which are Only at the base of the B pillar.

Hot air hasn’t come out of the vent by the seat when we’ve had the diesel heater on, it only comes out from the vent behind the driver’s seat. Should it come out of both vents?
Yes !

I'm thinking of getting a shoe rack that fits just inside the sliding door. I've noticed there's a grill there (bottom right of the rear seats as you're sitting on them). Is this a heater outlet? I'm concerned any shoes put there would impede the heat (or melt my crocs!). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thank you.
I’ll get a pic later.
My metal shoe rack houses my two pairs of crocs. Indoor and outdoor pair.
They do get hot, but my outdoor ones on step, indoor ones in the hole.
So when heater is on, indoor crocs on my feet and not in hole to get heat around.
Crocs are just fine and even use Immediately once a month through winter as per the specifications, the same as my 4Motion Difflock.

Unless you are referring to the 2 vents on the B pillar which are connected to the Diesel Parking Heater, NO hot air comes out of the vent by the sliding seat when running the Parking Heater as there is no connection between the two.

Unless you are referring to the 2 vents on the B pillar which are connected to the Diesel Parking Heater, NO hot air comes out of the vent by the sliding seat when running the Parking Heater as there is no connection between the two.
I assumed they were talking about the vent by the (customer supplied) shoe rack, by the side of the sliding seat, floor height.
I get hot air from floor height, both sides (left and right) of sliding door and also another vent that points towards drivers (RHD) seat base. (Again floor level) When using diesel heater.

I assumed they were talking about the vent by the (customer supplied) shoe rack, by the side of the sliding seat, floor height.
I get hot air from floor height, both sides (left and right) of sliding door and also another vent that points towards drivers (RHD) seat base. (Again floor level) When using diesel heater.
Your vehicle must be one of a kind then as there is no connection between the Diesel Parking Heater and the vent below the cup holder at the side of the sliding bench seat next to the sliding door.
That vent is only connected to the rear Hivac.heating/Aircon unit.

Your vehicle must be one of a kind then as there is no connection between the Diesel Parking Heater and the vent below the cup holder at the side of the sliding bench seat next to the sliding door.
How bizarre !
Yes that vent really does pump out hot air when diesel heater on.
No key in ignition.
I’ll do a short video and show with some paper on a stick showing blowing air.
So my diesel heater blows out of 3 vents.

I’ll test today with the Aircon on instead of diesel heater and see if I can get any cold air out of that lower under cup holder by the sliding bench seat vent.
Very interesting !

Is this something that varies between the different California models perhaps? Mine is a 6.1 and hot air only seems to come out of the one vent behind the driver’s seat. Could this be different on earlier models?

Is this something that varies between the different California models perhaps? Mine is a 6.1 and hot air only seems to come out of the one vent behind the driver’s seat. Could this be different on earlier models?
No, Standard across the range with the Factory fitted Parking Heater from T4 onwards.

Well, blow me, what a surprise, you are right @WelshGas !
I stand to be corrected.
Only the 2 vents on the b pillar are blowing nothing immediate and continuously.
So my hot crocs are when the main cabin heater is on with the ignition key.
Learnt something new today ! Thanks :)

Thank you all for your input (& WelshGas for answering my question about that specific outlet).

I'm impressed Perfectos with your DIY skills! Sadly, I'm inept when it comes to that so, sadly, I have resorted to buying a build-your-own pack (on Amazon PurpleLizC789).

Back