Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shetland sites - anyone any experience?

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We were booked to go to Shetland last year and had accommodation and ferries booked, pre-Cali, which of course all got cancelled. We were thinking of going next year, with the Cali, assuming we're allowed to, and had a quick look at sites. Some lovely locations but most look like the campervan/caravan spaces are car parks whereas we prefer grass pitches if we can get them, partly because we like the grass under our feet and partly because we take a small awning to decant the Beach into.

Does anyone have any experience of sites in Shetland? We like to go to sites (a) because we have two kids so some facilities are good and (b) nice to contribute to the local economy!

We'd love to go back there, we went pre-kids, but are wondering whether we just book somewhere to stay and use the Beach as transport only!

I went last year and there are plenty of free parking places for overnight stops; I didn’t use any formal sites (but I did contribute freely to local economy in other ways).

I went last year and there are plenty of free parking places for overnight stops; I didn’t use any formal sites (but I did contribute freely to local economy in other ways).
Thanks, that's good to know. We'd probably find a week without sometime on a site that allowed us to spread out a bit too much with the kids. May need to do some more thinking!

I went last year. Most sites were closed.

There is a nice site at Burravoe on Yell. £15 per night good facilities inc

I don’t recommend the site at Braewick on Mainland (near Eshaness) overpriced and not very friendly. Exposed spot. Would be ok in a large motor home or caravan.

We made a trip to Orkney and Shetland in 2019. We stayed on 5 sites in various parts of Shetland, all were "car park" like. A number were associated with marinas with attendant loos and ablution facilities, with accommodation of campervans, etc. obviously seasonally contributing to revenue (not really run as camp sites in the conventional sense). I think we had EHU at each.

In response to what kp64zl says, we enjoyed our stay at Braewick, although it is indeed very exposed. We nearly felt the need to lower the roof in the middle of one night and some brave folk who had been in tents had a hell of a job packing up the following morning with the gale still going full blast. We felt welcome enough although had minimal contact with the management at all sites.

Sorry for delayed contribution . . . . We went to Shetland in 2018, spent two weeks there, visited several of the campsites. We felt v welcome in all, yes, most are hardstanding but I guess that is because of the rainfall and danger of getting stuck / grass damage.

WE enjoyed all the sites we visited, without exception. Superb scenery, wildlife etc., tho' we were rather late for the best of the bird life. The biggest 'problem' was the wind - at Stromness (Orkney - we stayed there 1 night before overnight to Shetland) we were asked to move our van to provide windbreak to a tent, and we only put our (wind-out) awning up a few times because of the wind, even though we normally tie it down. It can spring up quickly, we never left the van with awning out. A friend (a keen birdwatcher who has been several times) has reported wind so strong he felt unable to open the car / house doors. Braewick, yes, is exposed, some of the East Coast ones less so, and there is one at a marina - can't remember which - which is quite sheltered. So plenty of pegs / tie-downs needed if you rely on an awning! I guess a 'tent-style' awning may be more secure.

Most of the other site users were motorhomes, or intrepid walkers / cyclists in 1-person tents.

But we greatly enjoyed the holiday, and hope to return sometime.

We're finally back to thinking of Shetland, inspired by the return of the TV series.

Because of the nature of the campsites, we were thinking of avoiding taking our drive-away awning. This would mean a whole different way of camping for us, as except for our very first trip we've always had some kind of external living space to decant into. Our first trip we used a small pop-up to store stuff, but if we're going to be staying in carparks at the sites that's not an option either.

So we're thinking that we would leave the awning and the sink unit at home, which of course also means leaving the drawers that we use as storage for the cooking and eating gear. We'd also leave the big fridge and take the CF11 for between the seats, freeing up some boot space.

We have one 64l Really Useful Box that usually sits alongside the fridge in the boot, but I'm thinking that we'll need some smaller boxes to move between the boot and the living space when we cook etc., but not sure what to do about water etc? Do fellow Beach owners just take some large bottles or is there a more elegant solution? Ideally we'd have a good supply in the van for tea and cooking, I think we'll miss our sink unit for that!

Good idea not to take the awning.

Best be self contained without stuff outside to get blown away or cluttering up the inside. We chose places to camp based on wind direction

Water available at marinas ferry ports etc. we never had an issue - I have a collection of various bottles - one 5litres and the others smaller. Old drinks bottles

The less stuff you can take the better

Shetland is oh so windy, we love it, but i wouldn't want to do it under canvas though i am sure a well pitched tent could survive a standard day on its own. Not so sure about a drive away though as they are not as aerodynamic on the van side so could get caught out if you parked the wrong way around. We always stay on coastal pitches and some people did leave there vans both camper and caravan there for extended periods, but i don't remember ( i could be mistaken) ever seeing any free-standing awnings being left up on their own.

Yes we chose the camping spot based upon wind direction- mostly marinas and ferry ports for their water, toilets and fishing!