Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sharp practice?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In an idle moment I have just taken a squint at the VW T6-1 Beach "Camper" configurator. If the configurator can be believed, it seems that there are no standard paint colours any more! Every available colour has "additional costs may apply" against it. Also, if you want a Cali Beach with a standard dash board, "additional costs may apply" Surely this cannot be correct?

Does it turn up in primer grey if you don't select the additional cost paint I wonder?

In an idle moment I have just taken a squint at the VW T6-1 Beach "Camper" configurator. If the configurator can be believed, it seems that there are no standard paint colours any more! Every available colour has "additional costs may apply" against it. Also, if you want a Cali Beach with a standard dash board, "additional costs may apply" Surely this cannot be correct?
The fact that they are using the words " may " as against " will " probably just means they are planning on adjusting the costs for the various paid for Options.

After all, when they announce a price rise it is on the Base Vehicle and the Options could undergo price rises anytime.

The fact that they are using the words " may " as against " will " probably just means they are planning on adjusting the costs for the various paid for Options.

After all, when they announce a price rise it is on the Base Vehicle and the Options could undergo price rises anytime.
I'm sure they have plans to adjust their prices on paid options, they are always doing that. My point was that they are implying that hitherto standard no cost features such as flat paint and a standard dash board may now incur additional costs. Some time ago they imposed an extra premium for choosing flat white paint, a colour that I believe is still standard and therefore a no cost option on the rest of the Transporter range. Have they already or are they planning to imposed similar charges for the other Cali flat paint options?

Similarly, why do they imply that additional costs may also apply to having a standard dash? You can't very well drive a Cali without one. As has already been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, could it be that the conventional dash is more expensive to produce against the new digital dash. The are promoting that new feature as an upgrade at present. However, they can't have it both ways.

Is this the begining of a drive to eliminate standard features in favour of all features e.g wheels, paint, etc incuring some charge. I really don't know but if not why print "additional costs may apply"?

Last edited:
I'm sure they have plans to adjust their prices on paid options, they are always doing that. My point was that they are implying that hitherto standard no cost features such as flat paint and a standard dash board may now incur additional costs. Some time ago they imposed an extra premium for choosing flat white paint, a colour that I believe is is still standard and therefore a no cost option on the rest of the Transporter range. Have they already or are they planning to imposed similar charges for the other Cali flat paint options?

Similarly, why do they imply that additional costs may also apply to having a standard dash? You can't very well drive a Cali without one. As has already been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, could it be that the conventional dash is more expensive to produce against the new digital dash. The are promoting that new feature as an upgrade at present. However, they can't have it both ways.

Is this the begining of a drive to eliminate standard features in favour of all features e.g wheels, paint, etc incuring some charge. I really don't know but if not why print "additional costs may apply"?
I thought you could have coloured inserts on the basic dashboard etc.

I thought you could have coloured inserts on the basic dashboard etc.
Well unless it's a non specific option called "special built in parts" then I don't think so. Coloured inserts may be an option on the Coast or Ocean but unless I've missed it, not on the Beach.

As the online configurator isn't an actual order it will give an escape route for the salesman who has to add a charge for an 'option' as and when VW decide to make one, without you having a figure to quote.

Quote " Oh no Sir xxxxx aren't standard now but an optional extra". If you order now I can give a discount and these will in effect be free!

I know I'm cynical.

annoying huh, try again on another day, maybe the configurator will work properly.
Greetings

I sparsely specced up a Grand 600 the other day on
the German confuserator.

Any colour for free as long as it's white.
Any wheels for free as long as they're steel, choice of
black or white, no extra cost Sir.

Passed on the Navi and infotainment stuff and found it to
be about 75k.

But i found that because i didn't select any kind of radio/navi stuff it
appeared that the van would come without any radio, nothing, all blank,
just 2 small cubby holes for your bubble gum.

Back