Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Self isolation rules if tested positive for Covid whilst visiting France

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We were just getting a bit excited about taking our van to France in early September - but what if we test positive whilst over there? I gather from the Gov.UK website that we would have to self isolate in France and I can't see any way that we could do that in our Cali. Presumably we would have to find self contained accommodation for the duration - which sounds expensive and stressful - especially as our dog will be with us. I've been googling for quite a while to get the definitive answer, without success.

Hey ho - think we're heading to Orkney!

We were just getting a bit excited about taking our van to France in early September - but what if we test positive whilst over there? I gather from the Gov.UK website that we would have to self isolate in France and I can't see any way that we could do that in our Cali. Presumably we would have to find self contained accommodation for the duration - which sounds expensive and stressful - especially as our dog will be with us. I've been googling for quite a while to get the definitive answer, without success.

Hey ho - think we're heading to Orkney!
We’ve pretty much knocked our trip on the head for the very same reason. I’ve researched this a lot - not easy to get a definitive answer, but Simon Calder was on on Radio2 on Saturday trying to simplify all rules and I came to this conclusion:
A positive test at any point (especially you’re pre-departure test) would mean potentially going to a Covid Hotel at the discretion of the French authorities. As you are in a camper you have no residence to go to. It means the positive person (10 days) plus all close contacts (17 days) will need to self isolate. That means no admission to hotels, shops, campsites, etc. A potential nightmare. It has put us off even though it might be a slim chance.
I believe the pre-departure test is a UK only requirement for re-entry to the UK.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some enterprising holiday makers are using someone else’s negative test to fool the system & just keep themselves to themselves until they are back over the channel. Once in the uk you can then isolate At home.

We took out LV travel insurance which specifically has COVID cover & will extend our villa rental if needed. We will be testing before we leave here & it gives us 3 days to get home, we are not taking the chance of failing a test in France whilst in the van.

Just hoping that we’re not faced with the same situation next year!

Well just take some tests with you. Test the day before you’re supposed to. If it’s bad news , go and hide somewhere until it’s good news.

Well just take some tests with you. Test the day before you’re supposed to. If it’s bad news , go and hide somewhere until it’s good news.
Guess it depends on your appetite for risk - that would be too stressful for us - and anyway we can’t stay away indefinitely

Just stay on the amazing Isle Of Blighty. Europe will still be there, when this crap blows over…

Just stay on the amazing Isle Of Blighty. Europe will still be there, when this crap blows over…
We feel exactly the same. We have been traveling in Europe for many years both on motorbike and camper and really can’t be bothered with a potential nightmare if someone caught Covid and all the testing. Not just the extra costs but if it was really serious and you ended up in hospital and no insurance....We really miss going over to France Spain and Portugal And cancelled for the past 2 years let’s hope it’s 3rd year lucky....

We feel exactly the same. We have been traveling in Europe for many years both on motorbike and camper and really can’t be bothered with a potential nightmare if someone caught Covid and all the testing. Not just the extra costs but if it was really serious and you ended up in hospital and no insurance....We really miss going over to France Spain and Portugal And cancelled for the past 2 years let’s hope it’s 3rd year lucky....
We are just off for a few days in The Brecon Beacons....The weather looks good...and no £100 tests...

Back