Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Self-driving using openpilot and comma.ai?

Peter Horvath

Peter Horvath

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Dear California owners,

I was wondering if anyone had tried installing comma.ai kit with openpilot, to add some more self-driving capabilities to your California T6.1 Ocean. Comma.ai has the whole harness kit specifically for California-s, so I was hoping someone gave it a try.

Dear California owners,

I was wondering if anyone had tried installing comma.ai kit with openpilot, to add some more self-driving capabilities to your California T6.1 Ocean. Comma.ai has the whole harness kit specifically for California-s, so I was hoping someone gave it a try.
Interesting but looks very US centric to me and also not sure I'd trust my life to a series of open source devs.

Also for a Cali it only seems to do two things - which mainly bring in line with my Tiguan - which is lane centering (vs lane warning if driving too close to lines) and auto resume from stop.

Have to say don't miss either nor would I want a screen on my windscreen.

So not sure it's worth 1400 bucks for just that.

OK, I set it up. The setup was a bit more difficult than I anticipated, but it basically drives completely on highways. It works like ACC, so if you press the brake pedal, you take over completely. And you can also control the steering wheel if you want. It can follow lanes, detect cars, switch lanes (turn signal and a slight tilt of the steering wheel to the direction where you want to go and it checks for the cars and changes the lane). New versions detect traffic lights and are informed by maps (this last part unfortunately not yet in Europe). It is pretty cool, I will probably post a video soon.

You need to pay attention (the device is checking if you are looking at the road and if not, it first beeps and then stops driving), so you definitely cannot completely chill and let it drive, but it is a very pleasant driving experience nontheless.

Dear California owners,

I wouldn’t think insurance companies would be too happy with DIY self drive.

Back