Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Security question

Stolly

Stolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi again everybody. I haven't been on the forum for a while but our Cali is definitely having some great adventures - our last trip in early July was effectively Woolacombe in north Devon all the way round the coastline, including all of Cornwall, to Salcombe in south Devon - 22 beaches in 12 days :). Here are our dogs relaxing at camp Henry at the Lizard:

VWcamper.jpg

Anyway it has suddenly occurred to me that we're often leaving our van parked up in the middle of nowhere and I'm thinking that I should be doing more on the security front. I can apply the normal steering lock obviously and lock the doors but what else should I be doing? Buying a 'proper' steering lock? A gps tracker?

All advice really appreciated

There are all sorts of options, GPS trackers are certainly well worth a look and even if you can only afford a basic one its better than nothing. If money is no object go for a RHF based one that can't be blocked.

Discloks are some of the best steering wheel locks (if one is available to fit the Cali) and I have a Safe T Pedal for my T25 that locks the pedals in place. This is pretty hefty and heavy and of course has to go somewhere whilst in use but once its on you can't press any of the pedals without pushing all the others.

Got a Bearlock on my DSG gearbox .
If they want it they take it , or mess it up and put it on fire like the recent tread we have seen ....

Options are physical, eg clutch claw, disklok or bearlok (if on the continent) or an additional alarm or immobiliser or tracker. Reading the various fora, I'm inclined to an additional immobiliser, when I get round to booking it in.

With a background in vehicle crime, on the good guys side, vehicle criminals fall into two camps; this who steal from and those who steal the vehicle itself, obvious but deterring each calls for different measures. The latter is most likely a determined "professional" who increasingly needs to employ sophisticated technical methods or use raw violence against the vehicle owner. As a £50K vehicle in high demand there is a market for it. The after market options all have their worth in making it more difficult to take the vehicle just as spinning the seat 180 degrees which is a great little option that costs nothing. If it slows them down it increases the chances that they will look elsewhere but won't stop them if they really want yours.
To defeat the theft from brigade the easiest thing to do is show them there is nothing worth taking if you can. Leave the glove box and cubby holes open to show you have nothing of value in them, the wardrobe and cupboards also if possible.
With regards to either type of criminal chose your parking space well, when it gets dark what will the area look like; check out where the lighting is and park directly under it if you, where can your park so that natural surveillance of passers by see your vehicle and park there if possible. Finally look for the surveillance cameras and try to factor them in also to survey your cali.

My feeling is that remote rural locations and campsites are ok if normal security measures are followed (locked, no valuables in sight). I'm much more cautious in urban type locations. I have a back2you tracker which is good value and reassuring (set geofence so I know vehicle has not moved) and gives me a chance of recovering if stolen.

Charles

I've been thinking about a rear door sticker... Warning ⚠️Vicious B@stards kept in this vehicle overnight.;)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm happy where we park the van at home (the old adage of being able to leave the car running with the front door open overnight still sort of applies where I live) but it's on adventures where I sometimes wonder if the van will still be there when I get back. Case in point was leaving the van in a layby at something like 4 in the morning, with the rain lashing down, in the Lake District and only returning something like 10 hours later (with the rain still lashing down) after an epic run in the hills. It would be a real bummer to find the van missing, especially in those circumstances. Quiet roads and park ups in the wilds is when I'm most worried I guess but, there again, you could argue I've perhaps less to worry about in such places. I agree about town parking though - I'd only park in prominent well lit places.

Anyway I've ordered a steering wheel lock thingy as a step in the right direction, a deterrent and something that can be easily seen by a potential car thief. The bear lock looks great but it's a shame it can't be fitted in the uk

I have a disklok. I think they are good for two reasons.
1. It is highly visible and 2. They are a bugger to get off. I know this because even I struggle to remove it and I have the blummin key!!!!

I went to a friends wedding the other week......drank to much, as I expected, and so went back and slept in the van, that was parked on the street...roof down.
I was awoken by the noise of the front door opening.
I said hello, or something, from my drunken slumber
And the intruder said
In a very rural accent
With breath that smelt heavily of alcohol and smoke
O sing....sorry...
And he slammed the door and ran off.

Back