Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to summit self inflating mattress good price

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and very happy with it.
However my first uses were on top of the Brandrup iXtend (similar to the VW Comfort mattress) and it felt like there was more mattress thickness in total than was needed.
However having removed the iXtend I recently tried the inflatable on top of the standard seat with the thin Brandrup pad over the metal grille in the boot on its higher setting.
In theory it was all flat but I found the join between the boot grille and the folded seat was quite uncomfortable.
I know I could try manually inflating the mattress a bit more, but I am curious how other people set it up.
Many thanks in advance for feedback

I’m using it with shelf on top height, no mattress pad. I’m filling mattress quite a bit after it passively fills. I agree the join between shelf and mattress is noticeable but not a deal breaker.

I considered the iextend or the similar comfort one. why did you ditch it? Too much padding??

Thanks for the feedback. I found I was carrying half a boot of mattress + topper + inflatable mattress around, and thought I would try thinning it out to get to the right amount of padding.
It feels like I need to add more air as you have done - will look for a small manual inflator or use my inflatable awning pump as prefer not to put humid breath in the mattress.

Thanks for the feedback. I found I was carrying half a boot of mattress + topper + inflatable mattress around, and thought I would try thinning it out to get to the right amount of padding.
It feels like I need to add more air as you have done - will look for a small manual inflator or use my inflatable awning pump as prefer not to put humid breath in the mattress.

I use mine on top of the seat with a towel over the mesh shelf on the highest setting. Planning to get some thin carpet to replace the towel.
I find it pretty impossible to inflate properly without going round to the tailgate and adding additional air (puffs of breath) because the shape makes it unwieldy trying to do this inside and the valves are on the shaped ie tailgate end. Not a problem because I inevitably have to put the rear blind down (easier with tailgate open) and get my bog in the bag out of the boot!
Putting it away is easier because I release the valves, roll it up and lie across the top until
deflated.
Great piece of kit and have ditched the mattress topper and vw comfort mattress. I do think that it needs extra air in to be most comfortable though.

Hi,

Can this mat replace the mattress in the pop top and be stored up there when the roof is down?

Thanks

I haven't tried this but my understanding is yes. Think I read it in another thread.

Does it fit the upper bed slats without gaps at the sides?

Hi there - would just like to enquire how is everybody getting on with these
Still better than the VW comfort mattress ?
Do you leave the Sea to Summit in the roof and how long do you have to leave it deflating, or what is the best process you have found, before you can actually lower the roof ?
Is it comfortable on its own and does this apply to both sleeping "upstairs" and "downstairs" ?
Thanks
Scoobz

Would like to know the mattress thickness when deflated. Also, does it fold easily to fit on the back shelf when not in bed mode and how thick is it when stored folded to fit? If any of you guys could post some pics, that would be great.

Hi there - would just like to enquire how is everybody getting on with these
Still better than the VW comfort mattress ?
Do you leave the Sea to Summit in the roof and how long do you have to leave it deflating, or what is the best process you have found, before you can actually lower the roof ?
Is it comfortable on its own and does this apply to both sleeping "upstairs" and "downstairs" ?
Thanks
Scoobz
Hey Scoobz, me and you seem to be having the same questions. Hopefully some of the guys who use one will post some pics.

Hey, I’m interested in the same info to the above if anyone can help us out :)

Hey, I’m interested in the same info to the above if anyone can help us out :)
Hi Speedy,
Scoobz had a private message from a guy called Roger who had some positive comments and deflates (by rolling up then unrolling) and stores his up top under the roof. Scoobz thinks he’ll be buying one very soon and will add more info. :thumb

Hi, I have the Sea to Summit SIM and have removed the IExtend mattress that I had downstairs and the SIM is super comfortable just on the folded down seat.
I squeeze much of the air out of it and it then sits very happily folded in 3 on the rear shelf. I can also used it upstairs, on top of the standard VW mattress and small end part.
I have an internal isotop and I wasn’t sure if the roof would close with the SIM deflated and the isotop in place even if the VW mattress were removed, but in any case for now I prefer to have the SIM on the rear shelf so I can sleep downstairs without needing to put the roof up to retrieve the mattress if trying to keep a low profile.
Fully recommend the STS SIM

I don’t use it upstairs, only downstairs.
I have the bed extension on the higher setting. It rolls up really easy. If I just fold it and sit on it, it’s half the VW comfort mattress. I could do it smaller but don’t need to.
The valves are at back of van. I’d rather the front.
it won’t fully inflate itself. I need at least 10 puffs each side to get it firm enough for me

Hi, I have the Sea to Summit SIM and have removed the IExtend mattress that I had downstairs and the SIM is super comfortable just on the folded down seat.
I squeeze much of the air out of it and it then sits very happily folded in 3 on the rear shelf. I can also used it upstairs, on top of the standard VW mattress and small end part.
I have an internal isotop and I wasn’t sure if the roof would close with the SIM deflated and the isotop in place even if the VW mattress were removed, but in any case for now I prefer to have the SIM on the rear shelf so I can sleep downstairs without needing to put the roof up to retrieve the mattress if trying to keep a low profile.
Thanks for the info, Sailski. Very helpful.

I don’t use it upstairs, only downstairs.
I have the bed extension on the higher setting. It rolls up really easy. If I just fold it and sit on it, it’s half the VW comfort mattress. I could do it smaller but don’t need to.
The valves are at back of van. I’d rather the front.
it won’t fully inflate itself. I need at least 10 puffs each side to get it firm enough for me
Great news, thanks, ShmBK. It’s starting to sound like the perfect solution for us.

Ah I would love to know whether it could be left up there with an ISOTOP and the VW mattress as that was my plan. If it cannot could it be left there at least without the VW mattress and if so how much more comfortable is it than the VW mattress ... didn't realise the ISOTOPSs took up so much room ! Will put my order on hold if I can to I have a better idea about this ...

Hi @Scoobz1,
I don't know if the Isotop does actually take up much room - most of the additional material is at the front over the hatch, and so doesn't overlap with the mattress which is further back.
I just haven't had / made the time to try bringing the roof down with a deflated SIM on top of the VW mattress, but will try the next nice day we get.
However, in any case I would be happy using the STS SIM on its own instead of the VW upstairs mattress - it is significantly more comfortable so I wouldn't hold off on ordering.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Mike big help - will let order ride - hopefully it will all fit in but if it doesn't as it is significantly better that is a big plus in its own right, plus when downstairs still more comfortable and take up less room than the VW comfort mattress ...

Hi @Scoobz1,
I don't know if the Isotop does actually take up much room - most of the additional material is at the front over the hatch, and so doesn't overlap with the mattress which is further back.
I just haven't had / made the time to try bringing the roof down with a deflated SIM on top of the VW mattress, but will try the next nice day we get.
However, in any case I would be happy using the STS SIM on its own instead of the VW upstairs mattress - it is significantly more comfortable so I wouldn't hold off on ordering.
Hope that helps,
Mike
I doubt it will, I struggle with a very thing mattress topper. The issue is the final bit of at the back where there is the mattress cushion, there doesn't seem to be much space there.

Back