Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland in june

@MartG , we are open for lots things . Golf we don't play doh;) and sitting on a beach would be a few hours before i'm totaly borred....

@B J G , i knew i would get comment on how to spell whisky;) ....i did google but found both , as said not in to whisky. Maybe a visit to a distillery might change that.

@WelshGas , booked allready from Ijmuiden , the way back will be via Dover as we have to be in the Birmingham area the weekend of the 27th june and from there down to Dover.

The NC500 will be inevitable but certainly not planning on riding just that . The inland and lakes are also options.

Regarding Ben Nevis , we don't need to walk up but might do .....we walked up and down the Snowdon few years ago (not by train) and took us over 10h...

@MartG , we are open for lots things . Golf we don't play doh;) and sitting on a beach would be a few hours before i'm totaly borred....

@B J G , i knew i would get comment on how to spell whisky;) ....i did google but found both , as said not in to whisky. Maybe a visit to a distillery might change that.

@WelshGas , booked allready from Ijmuiden , the way back will be via Dover as we have to be in the Birmingham area the weekend of the 27th june and from there down to Dover.

The NC500 will be inevitable but certainly not planning on riding just that . The inland and lakes are also options.

Regarding Ben Nevis , we don't need to walk up but might do .....we walked up and down the Snowdon few years ago (not by train) and took us over 10h...
Just suggestion to avoid the return via Dover and avoiding London and the M25.

@WelshGas
Is it realy that bad ? We can indeed go back home via Holland . Will look in to it , thankx

Last edited:
Hi @hotel california
We did anti clockwise
Two nights in Edinburgh
Then Glasgow - did free walking tours in both cities which were brilliant.
We did the Harry Potter steam train over the Glen fin an via duct which was a feat day - during the stop over we also did a harbour cruise and seal spotting.

Personally I didn’t like Skye as even in June it was very busy - but if you like scenic walks then wow this has many and there are great.

Our favourite island was Mull and on Mull you must visit Calgary bay our favourite beach of all time. - you can wild camp here
You can also do a day trip to Iona from Mull.

As @MattBW says Apple cross and the highest pass in uk is a must - fabulous views at the top.
I’m glad we did Lochness but it was underwhelming.

Calgary beach Mull , steam train to Glenn Finnan via duct and Edinburgh were our 3 best Things.
Hope that helpz :thumb

Hi HC, too long a reply but think I've driven/cycled most of Scotland so here goes for a 4 week route idea: head to Edinburgh and take in the city for couple nights (Mortonhall campsite is on good bus route or walk downhill to city about an hour), then up M90 via Perth and on to A9, taking in Dunkeld and Pitlochry (detours west to Kenmore on Loch Tay, Fortingall and to Kinloch Rannoch a good idea), back onto A9 and head up to Rothiemurchus and Loch Morlich from Aviemore. Go back to Aviemore and head north again and go over Kessock Bridge. At Tore roundabout head for Munlochy, Fortrose (dolphins) and Cromarty. The Nigg ferry from here runs from June and from Nigg head to Portnahomack, then back to Tain, take Dornoch detour, next Dunrobin Castle, then Helmsdale (best breaded haddock and chips ever at La Mirage in Helmsdale but one portion would do 2!). At Helmsdale don't bother with east coast road as a bit bleak (although I like it) but instead head north west towards Kinbrace, Syre, Skelpick and on to Tongue on north coast, continue to stick to anti clockwise main coast road but deviations at Talmine well worth it. After Durness road turns south and is incredible. As you have VW take a right turn at Kylesku to stick to hilly narrow stunning coast road via Drumbeg to Lochinver, on to Achiltibuie (great wee campsite and pub north of here at Altandhu, views to sea and back to Stac Polly, wow). Head south-east to Ullapool and take ferry to Outer Hebrides. You won't have time to do all but got to take in Callanish and Harris then take ferry from Tarbert on Harris to Uig on Skye. Skye tricky as you'd want to travel every road (!) but take road via Quirang from Uig, take in Fairy Glen, Old Man of Storr, Portree, Talisker (distillery there) Glenbrittle campsite beneath the Cuillins. Elgol well worth the detour. Best way off Skye as a tourist is via the ferry to Glenelg but you'd miss Glenfinnan so take Armadale to Mallaig off the island. After Glenfinnan turn back towards Mallaig for a short drive and take south turn on coast road again to Kilchoan. Take Kilchoan to Tobermory ferry (wow), drive west coast of Mull, take in Iona, then Craignure for Oban ferry. Go coast road south from Oban to Argyll (try get to Ardfern campsite) then Crinan. If time take Islay ferry from Kennacraig and visit any distillery on Islay, try get to Jura but otherwise from Tarbert take Loch Fyne road to Inverary and then Rest and Be Thankful road to Arrochar and down Loch Lomond. Stay in Glasgow at a hotel and experience Merchant City all along to Finnieston, art gallery, Riverside museum etc.

An alternative to Mull etc if you are wanting back inland is to go from Glenfinnan via Fort William, Glen Nevis (where Ben Nevis walk starts and there is a good campsite) and then via amazing Glencoe south. I know the mountains well in these parts but with the van, time of year etc I think the coast and islands would be my preference, less midgies certainly. It can often be wet inland over the mountains but dry on the coast, just keep a daily eye on weather, June normally good. Loads of informal and formal camping opportunities on the route I've given you. You don't really need to book anything although if formal camping don't arrive too late. I realise I've missed out cracking Torridon, Applecross, Plockton etc which is a shame so you'll need to come back another time haha (or do instead of Outer Hebrides).

PS I'm in Europe just now and taken your advice to go to VW Amersfoort for service and a repair late February. Any questions feel free to ask of course.

Hi @hotel california
We did anti clockwise
Two nights in Edinburgh
Then Glasgow - did free walking tours in both cities which were brilliant.
We did the Harry Potter steam train over the Glen fin an via duct which was a feat day - during the stop over we also did a harbour cruise and seal spotting.

Personally I didn’t like Skye as even in June it was very busy - but if you like scenic walks then wow this has many and there are great.

Our favourite island was Mull and on Mull you must visit Calgary bay our favourite beach of all time. - you can wild camp here
You can also do a day trip to Iona from Mull.

As @MattBW says Apple cross and the highest pass in uk is a must - fabulous views at the top.
I’m glad we did Lochness but it was underwhelming.

Calgary beach Mull , steam train to Glenn Finnan via duct and Edinburgh were our 3 best Things.
Hope that helpz :thumb
Absolutely agree on Calgary Bay on Mull !

Ben Nevis can be quite busy. I turned around in the end. I wasn't too happy with the dog and the wife so called "endex". Fort William around the corner is worth a visit and quieter. No dogs in the Café at the top. Plenty of walking. Great MTBing

Wild camping or campsites around Morar are great. That whole region is lovely spot. Watch out for Mr Midge.

Isle of Sky is worth a visit. Edinburgh is a beautiful city. Similarly if your coming in via Newcastle don't forget about the Hadrian's wall, Kielder, Hexam etc.

Apart from Dunbar, never really ventured to East Scotland.
It is quieter up the end of the Glen, some great walks and wild camping opportunities.

We've done a few trips in the Western Isles, which I would highly recommend - having a van is a massive bonus there. Mull is lovely, also Jura & Islay (ignore the whisky stuff). But the best trip is the Outer Hebrides: start at Barra & work your way north - South Uist, North Uist, Benbecula, Harris, Lewis. Then back to the mainland via Ullapool. Luskentyre on Harris is beautiful, & there's a lovely remote campsite by the beach at Cnip in SW Lewis.
There will be midges in June but the islands are usually windy so not a problem. Smidge is the best repellent otherwise.
I'd avoid Skye as it's terribly crowded nowadays even off season.
Now I'm thinking we need another trip there ourselves!

Yes ! I booked a ferry from Ijmuiden-Newcastle to spent almost four weeks in the UK .
We want to see Scotland starting the 3th june rolling off the ferry in Newcastle and will be heading back to Dover by the end of the month , not made a returnbooking yet .
Been reading threads regarding Scotland so far and asking all of you to give away some more tips&must see things.

Advise for traveling clockwise or anti-clockwise arround the coast?
Islands are not top priority as there are so many but guess a few will be doable ?
I would like to go all the way up , is that adviseble ?
Edinburgh ? Other city's ?
Is Loch Ness a must do or is it much to touristique?
I'm not in to whiskey (more gin) but a visit to a local distillery is possible .
Our main idea is seeing some great views and nature walking (Ben Nevis?) , small campsites and free overnight camperspots if possible.
I like driving , willing to do some distance in one day and have driven in the UK on sevral occasions including a two weeks trip in Wales driving on the opposite side to what i'm used to here in Belgium.
Usually we don't book any sites up front when we travel , as said i did not even book our return ferry so we just see what crosses our path...
Maybe adding that we are two adults , no kids or dog .
Thankx in advance for all your input!
Head north-west if you love nature. June gets the best weather and wildlife in NW Scotland and it won't be crowded this time of year.

Hi Hotel California, can I put in a word for the East coast of Scotland? It never gets the great press that the west coast does but there are some fabulous places to visit. Start with the East Neuk of Fife and stop off in the gorgeous fishing villages of Pittenweem and Crail and Anstruther (you'll struggle to find a better fish supper!). Obviously St Andrews is worth a visit but can get really busy in the summer. Then over the Tay Bridge to Dundee and visit the V&A and Discovery. Then heading north have a trip round the Angus Glens and maybe bag a few Munros on the way. Don't forget to visit the beautiful sandy beach at Lunan Bay then on to one of the most atmospheric castles in Scotland, Dunotter Castle. Oh, and here's the clincher, NO MIDGES on the East coast! Then you can cut over to the Great Glen and see Loch Ness. Whatever you choose, I hope that you have a great visit. Scotland loves visitors and don't forget that Scotland also loves Europe! Keep a light on for us.990992CD-C308-4976-9FE4-9DD276DBA540.jpeg

We found Skye very busy in May 2019. Loved Mull and Iona. If you have time, Harris and N Uist were remote and beautiful. Ferries were great. Have fun!

You might want to considered Mosi screens as its Midge time

Be prepared for a lot of big whites with no driving experience. If you are into walking (I re-discovered walking uphill in Scotland) there is 10.000 miles of footpath to be explored. Cities are great to visit but I think you can better save that for a specific city trip. Edinburgh is probably quite crowded.

My trip is also booked (Hoek van Holland - Harwich), also for 4 weeks but starting 1st of May. No midges, mostly nice weather and just some old folks and locals on holiday. Can't wait to go back!

deskman.jpg

Last edited:
I have 'upgraded' the screens in the roof with 'knutjesgaas', designed to keep the microscopic Scandinavian critters where they belong (outside).

Hi Hotel California, can I put in a word for the East coast of Scotland? It never gets the great press that the west coast does but there are some fabulous places to visit. Start with the East Neuk of Fife and stop off in the gorgeous fishing villages of Pittenweem and Crail and Anstruther (you'll struggle to find a better fish supper!). Obviously St Andrews is worth a visit but can get really busy in the summer. Then over the Tay Bridge to Dundee and visit the V&A and Discovery. Then heading north have a trip round the Angus Glens and maybe bag a few Munros on the way. Don't forget to visit the beautiful sandy beach at Lunan Bay then on to one of the most atmospheric castles in Scotland, Dunotter Castle. Oh, and here's the clincher, NO MIDGES on the East coast! Then you can cut over to the Great Glen and see Loch Ness. Whatever you choose, I hope that you have a great visit. Scotland loves visitors and don't forget that Scotland also loves Europe! Keep a light on for us.View attachment 54821
Great tips. We love Lunan Bay. Have fabulous memories and pics from puppy meets there (photographer and agility friend lives close by).
St Andrews also lovely, and so is Stonehaven and Dunnotar.
If you stay east there are great beaches north of Aberdeen at Balmedie and Cruden Bay before heading west.(although I live in Aberdeen I don’t rate it highly for tourists).
Just keep us all posted of your plans in case there’s an opportunity for a catch up.

Great tips. We love Lunan Bay. Have fabulous memories and pics from puppy meets there (photographer and agility friend lives close by).
St Andrews also lovely, and so is Stonehaven and Dunnotar.
If you stay east there are great beaches north of Aberdeen at Balmedie and Cruden Bay before heading west.(although I live in Aberdeen I don’t rate it highly for tourists).
Just keep us all posted of your plans in case there’s an opportunity for a catch up.
+1 for Cruden Bay & Balmedie. Also recommend Lossiemouth, fabulous beach.

AB1EBCBE-48DC-488F-9839-3F017EB4C49A.jpeg

507B3025-FC05-4ACE-B475-D0B038853E85.jpeg

Consider Harwich to Hook of Holland unless you really need to go to the UK South Coast.
Could you give a hint about price? We are going this summer and it seems like the only cheap option is euro tunnel (264 a/r) . Other ferry seems to amount at least 600 euros. Am I wrong?

Could you give a hint about price? We are going this summer and it seems like the only cheap option is euro tunnel (264 a/r) . Other ferry seems to amount at least 600 euros. Am I wrong?
£218 Return. That is for 1 person, cabin for overnight crossing ( from UK ) + breakfast for 1, and daytime return crossing + the California.

The crossing from the U.K. is a fixed date but the return cost slightly more as it is flexible and date and crossing can be amended at no cost.

BJG gives good advice about the Borders of Scotland. Probably one of the least visited areas in the UK and its fantastic (that means quite roads). Go to Peebles, Hawick (you can camp free in town centre) and around Yarrow (St.Mary's Loch and Grey Mare's Tail waterfall). A hidden gem!

Best not to book and check out the weather forecast especially now that it is totally unpredictable regardless of where you are going.
Exactly. As the Norwegians say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. In Scotland, if you wait for good weather you'll never wind up going anywhere. If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Hi HC. Lots of great advice already, especially from Kaf. If you need NT membership yes certainly go for NT Scotland which is cheaper but not really sure you’d use it that much on a four week road trip. You’d need to make a couple of visits to houses to make it worthwhile. If time is short keep to the west side once you’re north of the central belt. The east side is beautiful too but lots of long driving up the A90 In Aberdeenshire. John O’groats (named after a Dane - Johannes Degroot - is certainly iconic but it’s a big let down when you’re there. I’d certainly take a detour through Fife. Crail is beautiful, best ever Fish Supper at the Anstruther fish bar and free overnighting at Kingsbarns beach car park.
You said you like Gin, all distilleries have great Gin, especially the newer ones as they can’t produce Whisky for three years and Gin is a run off. Islay is a great wee island and easy to reach, as is Mull (Iona at the southern end is worth seeing and stay at Fidden farm campsite.
The problem you’ll have is working out what not to see, you could spend six months and only scratch the surface.
Sfae rejser og farvel.

Thank you all for this information.
I have Scotland planned for beginning of may till mid july...
I will arrive with a Ferry from Santander and do Ireland on the way come and go.