Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland and midges

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi. Lots of info on here and on the internet regarding the midge season, but wanted a feel for your thoughts of a September tour. We last visited Scotland on our last mini tour during April 2019 and everywhere was midge free (too early I know), we quite fancy returning this September as we have both retired from teaching - we just got to do something as my friends trot into schools!
Has anyone got info - good or bad? We intended doing the west coast and the isles of Skye, Harris, etc.
Thanks
Aztec

We haven't seen many midges for the past couple of days. I think that is because it has been raining though!
Smidge seems to work better than the skin so soft my wife has been using

Smidge seems to work better than the skin so soft my wife has been using
Skin so Soft is not about the chemicals, it’s about the texture. You have to put enough on. They’re so small they get stuck in even a thin layer and struggle to death before they ever reach your skin. Those who know midges will recognize how much pleasure I get in saying that.

Somewhat gross, but from experience I can tell you it’s very effective.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine by September, especially on the islands - the wind keeps the midges away. In our younger days we used cigars as a midge deterrent if they appeared - these days we've got these in our wardrobe in the van ;-) just in case...

Hi. Lots of info on here and on the internet regarding the midge season, but wanted a feel for your thoughts of a September tour. We last visited Scotland on our last mini tour during April 2019 and everywhere was midge free (too early I know), we quite fancy returning this September as we have both retired from teaching - we just got to do something as my friends trot into schools!
Has anyone got info - good or bad? We intended doing the west coast and the isles of Skye, Harris, etc.
Thanks
Aztec
We go regularly to the West Coast from mid September to the latter end of October, have never had a problem and we have been doing that for many years.

Unless VW has wised up (or taken my advice) since we bought our SE180 in 2011, the screens installed in the roof bellows windows and ventilators and rear windows screens are all too course to keep out midgies. They pour in, the little devils.

We go regularly to the West Coast from mid September to the latter end of October, have never had a problem and we have been doing that for many years.
Agree completely, same here, we’ve never had an issue, often visit Argyle and inner Hebrides late September into early October We go prepared, nets, SSS, but never required. Enjoy.

... another thought - do book all your ferries - when we went in our California we had the CalMac HopScotch ticket which is very good value, and you only have to book your first ferry... BUT you can then find the ferries you want to get are full - that's what happened to us. Thankfully we weren't in the position of the family we met in Stornaway on a Thursday, who were told there were no spaces on any ferries until the following Tuesday :-O

We always go early May or late September and for the past 6 years have hardly see a midge _that's put a death nell on this September........... The East coast is far better than the west coast. We've found Smidge to be the best when we have encountered them or the dreaded Clegs!!!!! As clairinetbcn said - they stick to Oh So Soft!!

Thank you Billylou the best midge video I've seen. There are two types of people who visit Scotland's west coast, those who have had the Billylou experience and those who are about to!
The message being, that is what you need to be prepared for!
If it is dry and hot, then the midgies are rarely a problem, but.......
Dry and hot Scotland is an oxymoron, a word I love because it has "moron" in it and makes me feel smarter than everybody else.

Last edited:
Dry and hot Scotland is an oxymoron, a word I love because it has "moron" in it and makes me feel smarter that everybody else.
Indeed. But it is happening more often these days. :) I should have prefaced my previous post with 'Midge season' which is really May - September. Until recently, May and September have been fairly midge free. Not any more I am afraid. The midge season is expanding, not just in seasonal terms, but also geographically. They are now much pre prevalent in the East than say 10-15 years ago.

EEK - nets it will be then..............last Sept at Port a bhaigh we had 23 deg!!

The most important thing to know about midgies is that they don't like wind, or can no longer locate you in a very slight breeze. 3-4 mph of wind is enough to banish them. In other words, they only bother you in still or very sheltered conditions, like woodlands etc. So you can out-walk them! If you keep moving, they won't bother you, just don't stop for a sandwich!

I once walked for 12 hours because I dare not stop, eating and drinking on the move. Contrary to 'common knowledge', they were even on the summits. As I said previously, they are expanding their territory. Global warming?