Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Schengen Visa after January 1st 2021

Kirk

Kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Next year (covid permitting) we are looking to travel around Europe in both the spring and again in the autumn. From what I can see we can travel under the Schengen Visa for 90 days in any 180, so does this mean we can go to Europe for three months in spring, return for the summer in May and then head back out to Europe again in September for another three months?

Next year (covid permitting) we are looking to travel around Europe in both the spring and again in the autumn. From what I can see we can travel under the Schengen Visa for 90 days in any 180, so does this mean we can go to Europe for three months in spring, return for the summer in May and then head back out to Europe again in September for another three months?
Yes.

It’s a right pita if we do have to get a Schengen visa. Firstly you have to vist the outsourced visa centre eg VFS/TLS (usually in London) with prebooked travel and accommodation for the entire duration of your stay, 3 months bank statements and an employer’s letter or equivalent.

It’s my understanding that Brits are just going to covered by a 90 day visa waiver and you won’t need a Schengen.

Sadly Mrs WW will no longer qualify for a spouse of an EU national Schengen so will have the rigmarole of the above.

Till all this mess is sorted out we will just have to live in hope...I remember that before we joined the then Common market we travelled to about 10 different countries in Europe in my Ford 105e. I can’t remember getting a different driving license but did have to get proof of insurance...Why are we making things so difficult for ourselves.

The OP's question is answerable, as Schengen visas and the processes for obtaining them exists already. I assume Lightning's answer is reliable.

Everything else however is pure speculation and we won't know until there is a UK/EU post-transition agreement. That may not be agreed (assuming it is at all) until 31 December because, in EU negotiations as we already know, "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" and negotiations typically run to the wire.

Till all this mess is sorted out we will just have to live in hope...I remember that before we joined the then Common market we travelled to about 10 different countries in Europe in my Ford 105e. I can’t remember getting a different driving license but did have to get proof of insurance...Why are we making things so difficult for ourselves.
So that US multinationals and hedge funds pick at the carcass of the economy.

Biometric Schengen Entry Exit system to be operational in 2022. Fingerprints and facial recognition required to go to France and ensure you don’t overstay the 90 day limit.

If you or your spouse are a national of a 3rd country and used to get a free Schengen family visa as a result of being married to a UK (EU) national, then that has ended and you’ll have to go through the rigmarole of submitting bank statements and advance travel / accommodation bookings which is pita if you’re touring Europe in your Cali.

As Australians living in the UK, we have already experienced the 90 day in 180 rule for visiting the continent in our Cali. No problems - have done the spring trip to Europe/back to UK for summer then autumn trip to Europe with no border issues and no paperwork. Should be the same for you UK citizens now.