Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scandinavia?

L

Linda

VIP Member
Hi folks, we're off to explore Scandinavia- ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, through Denmark, Sweden and Norway- anyone have and top tips, camping spots, must see places? Cheers

wish i had tips of you,but sorry i haven't .....have a good trip i do love the scandie's very friendly and jealous of you going without me :D

only been to norway & denmark by sea when i worked on yachts ,but it was great and high priced

i'm sure the cali will serve you well :thumb :thumb

We have just come back from a 4 week trip to Finland, from Rotterdam to Bremen, then to Denmark via Puttgarden Ferry (very expensive!) through Sweden, ferry to Aland Islands then to Finnish mainland and the Lake District in Central / Eastern Finland. Beautiful, though wather not as warm as usual and midges in Finland a bit of a pain.

Baltic ferries (we travelled Viking Line) excellent and very good value. An 11 hour ferry from Turku to Stockholm - 85 euros!! (booked well in advance). The Puttgarden ferry was more than that for 45 minutes.

Friendly people, no problems. Campsites clean and well equipped - we camped at Strandcamping, Puttgarden in Germany, then at Granna in Sweden - the rest of the time in Aland or Finnish mainland. On the way back, we stopped at Landskrona near Malmo (Sweden), Laerkelunden Camping at Grasten in Denmark, then at Zwolle in Netherlands before ferry from Rotterdam to Hull.

We have not been to Norway. Scandinavia is not as expensive as people make out, if you are careful in shopping. Eating and drinking out can be v. expensive though, but delicious food!!

Just 2 things to watch - Sweden has a strict rule that if parking at roadside, you must be on the correct side - i.e. facing forward on the right hand side of road. A friendly traffic cop warned us about that. And some of the automatic fuel stations do not accept UK plastic. So keep some notes handy to fill up - and they do not give change!! The large fuel tank on the van is a help here.

Road conditions superb - even many of the gravel roads in Finland have a better surface than UK roads. Speed limits strictly observed and drivers well behaved. Most of our holiday was cycling / kayaking around / on Lake Saimaa, sailing ship museums etc. A good time.

Enjoy your holiday.

Lewis

Very jealous. Have a great time!

Hi
still in Denmark on hols as i type this
have stayed at 2 sites both run by DCU ( Denmark camping union)

the first was called dcu-absalon copenhagon camp,( www.camping-absalon.dk)
only a few kms to city centre and there is a train station only 500m away which takes you directly into the city centre about £2 return
loads to do and see in the centre but was pretty busy
campsite has total hard standings for motorhomes/calis or grass areas for everything else
toilets and showers excellent.
also sweden only 30km away using the new bridge but the toll was a hefty 43euros each way

the second was called dcu odense city camp (www.camping-odense.dk)
only a few kms to odense city centre (birth place of Hans Christian Anderson) and a cycle track runs all the way to the city
egeskov slot castle nearby excellent day out
campsite all grass standings and again the toilets and showers excellent

roads everywhere excellent

did find everything rather pricey a small loaf at the campsite shop was 29 Krona about £3

and after that bought everything from supermarkets !

dave and lisa (still in the sun in Odense)

now homeward bound as from tomorrow with several stops through Germany

ps if you need a recommendation for someone you DONT like, to stay near Hamburg i have the perfect site !

Lol@the Hamburg comment

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I never considered going North in the van only South so now I am even more confused on where to go abroad for the first time after people keep saying North is good.

Maybe I should be looking to build the VW California Owners App for recommend sites :)

(with two settings recommend for those you like and recommended for those you don't )

inthemidnighthour said:
Hi
still in Denmark on hols as i type this...

Hi, Dave and Lisa

Thanks for all your helpful advice :thumb

We're on our second night in Amsterdam - heading to Germany to meet up with friends, before heading to Denmark. So glad we brought our bikes - such a great way to explore this amazing city, though my skinny tires don't mix well with the local paved streets ;-)

Hope you're both having fun :)

Best wishes,
Steve and Linda

Currently in Amsterdam

Camped at http://www.campinghetrietveen.nl/ last night. Quiet and lovely site by lake and small national park- cycleable to the city centre but involves ferry crossing

Staying at http://www.campingzeeburg.nl/ today.
Cute and cool, slightly arty and leftfield site 20 min cycle from centre- may be a bit boisterous we'll let you know!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343757199.943948.jpg

What is a ' feminist ' fella.......the mind boggles.......

In Denmark wild camping is not allowed but some campsites have quick stop arrangement- campervans can stay and use facilities between 8pm and 10am for a reduced rate :) isn't that lovely!