Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Satnav Updates 6.1 Discover Media Pro

The Tall Luthier

The Tall Luthier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm a little confused and I wonder if someone could explain.
My 21 t6.1 has a Discover Media Pro system and I thought I should update the maps after a year of ownership.

I downloaded the files from here:

Put them on a USB C memory stick and followed the instructions here:

Nothing happened!

Then I checked the version of maps I have 23.1, this could mean January 2023, although I was expecting 23.01 if that's the case.

Also the DMP system allows the Cali to connect to my home wifi.

Is it possible that the system automatically updates itself over wifi?

You can over wifi but I think for maps you need to actually kick it off, it won’t do it itself.

All other OTA updated (system etc) should come via the in-built 3G sim.

My recollection of when I have done this before with a SD card on the Tiguan is it is a massive PITA and relies on the files not only being in the exact location expected but the SD card itself must be formatted in a very specific way.

Just use Waze now so will never use either cars inbuilt sat nav again so just leave them as is.

You can over wifi but I think for maps you need to actually kick it off, it won’t do it itself.

All other OTA updated (system etc) should come via the in-built 3G sim.

My recollection of when I have done this before with a SD card on the Tiguan is it is a massive PITA and relies on the files not only being in the exact location expected but the SD card itself must be formatted in a very specific way.

Just use Waze now so will never use either cars inbuilt sat nav again so just leave them as is.
Massive PiTa sounds familiar.

Do you know what maps database you are on? Is it more than 23.1?

I'm a little confused and I wonder if someone could explain
My 21 t6.1 has a Discover Media Pro system and I thought I should update the maps after a year of ownership.

Then I checked the version of maps I have 23.1, this could mean January 2023, although I was expecting 23.01 if that's the case.

Is it possible that the system automatically updates itself over wifi?
I also have media Pro & its on v 23.3 for the maps. Van was picked up at xmas & not been near a dealer since, I've also not deliberately tried to download or update anything, so any update that it may have had has been totally automatic. WiFi is not connected to the house etc.

I also have media Pro & its on v 23.3 for the maps. Van was picked up at xmas & not been near a dealer since, I've also not deliberately tried to download or update anything, so any update that it may have had has been totally automatic. WiFi is not connected to the house etc.
The thot plickens!
The Maps update was 30Gb which is too much I would have thought for an over the air phone data connection.

Thanks for the input Andy

The thot plickens!
The Maps update was 30Gb which is too much I would have thought for an over the air phone data connection.

Thanks for the input Andy
What format was the USB memory stick in. The last time I had a similar problem, not VW equipment, the memory stick had to be in Fat32 format.

I'll check my maps tomorrow but like @andyinluton have not done anything special and I have had several system OTA updates. @WelshGas is right - I recall now - the faff on was having to reformat the SD card into FAT32. My recollection from my IT background on why this is is that MSDOS format does not allow the files sizes the download uses to be stored because when MSDOS format was developed they cold not imagine that we would ever need files the size we do now.

What format was the USB memory stick in. The last time I had a similar problem, not VW equipment, the memory stick had to be in Fat32 format.
I did wonder that.

I bought a usb C stick that takes a micro sd card as its source. 64GB

I think the format was fine. I wonder if the card was too big, sometimes this causes issues too. But it doesn’t seem likely for new tech!

Thank WG , I’ll recheck in the morning.

Also I’m well into the Apple ecosystem so I don’t have a PC just macs!

When we ordered our T6 we specified to upgrade the media system to the expensive media pro navigation system which was supposed to have free upgrades for life, only issue is that despite asking the agent to upgrade the data when it was in for service they haven't done it. The result is that it is now completely out of date and we are back to using phones or a road map. My Mac or iPad don't have a card facility so we are unable to do it ourselves, bit of tech moving on quicker than the system allows. very frustrating!!

When we ordered our T6 we specified to upgrade the media system to the expensive media pro navigation system which was supposed to have free upgrades for life, only issue is that despite asking the agent to upgrade the data when it was in for service they haven't done it. The result is that it is now completely out of date and we are back to using phones or a road map. My Mac or iPad don't have a card facility so we are unable to do it ourselves, bit of tech moving on quicker than the system allows. very frustrating!!
Just buy a USB Card Reader for your Mac. This what I have. Works perfectly.

This usb c card reader works very well. You need to supply your own sd card though.

That said you might want to hold fire until I can find a way to make it work.

Update: I tried reformatting card on Mac, reloaded files and Nada, not recognised. It works out that MacOS adds hidden files which the VW will reject out of hand.

Borrowed a friend's PC (Learning Curve after 12 years) . Formatted correctly, extracted tar file, plugged it into the VW and Tada .....Nothing!

I shall keep plugging away and give a solution when I have found one.

I read somewhere that this only works with official VW sd cards. When I was trying to find info it seemed VW sat navs had a way to check authenticity. It's certainly worth looking into though.

(I gave up trying because all this tech stuff in a campervan gets my blood pressure boiling. A good AA map is a much calmer and more reliable solution !!!)

What's the average cost of VW main dealer satnav update?

Save your money and just use Waze. It’s free with live updates, traffic, speed traps & potholes etc

Factory fit map updates are generally 6/12months out of date upon release.

I read somewhere that this only works with official VW sd cards. When I was trying to find info it seemed VW sat navs had a way to check authenticity. It's certainly worth looking into though.

(I gave up trying because all this tech stuff in a campervan gets my blood pressure boiling. A good AA map is a much calmer and more reliable solution !!!)
Works fine with std SD cards. No need to buy anything from the dealer, just format them carefully.

Works fine with std SD cards. No need to buy anything from the dealer, just format them carefully.
Thanks for the feedback. May have another go. But right now my Discover Media unit has another fault (since latest update) where it no longer automatically screen refreshes whilst using Google Maps via apple carplay :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, I still would be interested in knowing how much VW Main Dealers charge on average to update. Think we have Discovery Pro (2019 Ocean, most expensive option at time) and I've read that it comes with free lifetime updates? Does anyone know if this is correct and if so does this mean that VW Main Dealer would update it free of charge? We don't have broadband or computer, just mobile phones that we use hotspot with (generally works for us)

I did wonder that.

I bought a usb C stick that takes a micro sd card as its source. 64GB

I think the format was fine. I wonder if the card was too big, sometimes this causes issues too. But it doesn’t seem likely for new tech!

Thank WG , I’ll recheck in the morning.

Also I’m well into the Apple ecosystem so I don’t have a PC just macs!

Hi Tall Luthier, did you follow the special instructions in the VW document about unzipping when using Apple OS? I've not tried this yet and I wonder if it's already up to date automatically.

My MY 2020 T6.1 is possibly indicating Dec 22 as the last update, and the VW site says that for 2020 onwards Californias the current latest update is dated 28/11/2022. I've always allowed my van to connect automatically two the house wifi.

1683277625694.png
1683277799085.png

Hi Tall Luthier, did you follow the special instructions in the VW document about unzipping when using Apple OS? I've not tried this yet and I wonder if it's already up to date automatically.

My MY 2020 T6.1 is possibly indicating Dec 22 as the last update, and the VW site says that for 2020 onwards Californias the current latest update is dated 28/11/2022. I've always allowed my van to connect automatically two the house wifi.

View attachment 108030
View attachment 108031
Just for your info’ my MY21 Cali’s SatNav is at 23/03 so the info’ on the VW site must be out of date.

View attachment 108030
View attachment 108031
I did try using macOS to unzip the files. It didn’t work.
I then used a Pc to unzip files. It didn’t work.

I am still to try unzipping using their suggested client. My life force was slipping away.

Aye, it’s all clear as mud and doesn’t inspire confidence. GG, I’m wondering does your van have access to Wi-Fi, has it been to a dealer recently, or is the assumption that these huge data updates happen over the van’s VW connection?

Back