Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Salvaged Cali

I wonder whether the 2 tone and VB were planned niceties or necessary!

The unwritten rule about not commenting on Calis for sale on here has gone by the wayside on this one!

I thought twice about replying to this thread as any comments made may effect the advertisers chances of a sale and I genuinely do wish him well with that. However, given this vehicle's unique history and the fact that I have had experience of buying a vehicle that in my case, later turned out to have have been previously written off, I feel strongly that it's right and proper that it should be discussed on here.

Buying this written off vehicle was/is almost certainly a major gamble for the current seller and it's current price surely reflects the immense amount of time and expense involved in repairing it. As all forum members have the graffic information at their fingertips regarding the severity of the original accident, the apparent extent of the damage, the many potential pitfalls of buying such a vehicle and the comparable value of such a vehicle without Cat S attached, it has to be said that it's also a brave move to advertise it here on this forum.

However, if the repairs have been carried out to VW's exacting standards there is no reason why this van shouldn't go on to provide many more years of campervanning for someone. However, any buyer would be strongly advised to seek a thorough independant automotive engineers inspection/report before agreeing to purchase. If it were me, I'd be using a VW approved repair centre to carry that out.

I won't comment on the price being asked other than to say that given the cost of purchasing the salvage plus the work and expense that must have been involved in rebuilding it, I suspect that unless it was a DIY project, there may not be much profit in it for the seller. What it eventually sells for will be purely down to what someone is prepared to pay for it. Other issues will almost certainly lay ahead with any remaining VW warranty and insurance. The future resale value would also be severely effected.

I wonder whether the 2 tone and VB were planned niceties or necessary!

The unwritten rule about not commenting on Calis for sale on here has gone by the wayside on this one!
...problem is we were discussing this van a year ago when it first went up to auction after the accident, I remember looking at the link. The clever people on the forum had worked out exactly what had happened and found the video evidence, including the number plate, and it didn't make for comfortable viewing. It's a shame the seller wasn't aware of that info before they purchased it in the first place. 'Buyer beware' I suppose.

Can you imagine what the new owner, now £55,000 lighter in their bank account, will do with their coffee when I repost the Sun’s video of the crash outside the kebab shop.
I just spotted a thread called Yorkshire newbie by @Chickpea

Reading it quickly it said Indium Grey 204... Then I sighed when it said build week 34 (or similar) For a moment I thought @Chickpea had bought the kebab van....

Just a visual reminder of what someone will be buying !

not sure this should have ever made it back.
the floor pan must look like a peice of used tin foil,
metal that has been deformed with such force, as in this instance, is structurally compromised and should be replaced fully.

The floor pan is an integral structural element, and is key to future safety.
I would hope that the entire floor pan has been replaced ? ( but doubt it)
Proper Inspection and checking will be very very difficult due to the whole of the structural floor pan being covered up (with plastic under trays and Cali flooring).

the future owner of this van should be made fully aware that that Cali was a structural mess and total loss, prior to its miraculous make over.
IMO uneconomical to repair correctly,
I am in no doubt that the repairs carried out on this van are visually impressive, but that does not necessarily mean that they are as they should be.

I cannot see VW honouring any warranty on that vehicle whatsoever, particularly as VW did not carry out the repairs.

I can also see this being on insurers alert list ! ( higher premium / restricted cover / payout in case of total loss)

all that glitters is not gold, I hope the cat S is enough to set alarm bells ringing for prospective buyers.

4B4F3771-0DBA-4363-BED3-2CDFADEF0949.jpeg

39025429-74CD-4C74-8E29-760EC4234099.jpeg

B5E85F72-12AA-423A-9126-C63CE787294F.jpeg

4ABB4542-5B12-4C7A-ADF4-DD231C324FA6.jpeg

49B02717-B7ED-43FB-A202-37F3551C943F.jpeg

It’s advertised on here? I thought only VIP members could do that?

Back