Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust under rubber seal on the floor

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but found the door seal rust issue earlier this week. They are expensive over here in New Zealand, so have been looking at getting a seal sent over from UK. Looks like there are two options; OEM at about £80 and reproduction at about £40.

Some of the suppliers sell them as either left or right front and as a continuous seal, whereas mine has a join on both doors as the picture shows - the joint is not glued or welded. My Cali was new, so I know that not all OEM seals are continuous.

Rather than replacing the whole seal, I am considering just replacing it from below the carpet line at the front to existing join at the rear to avoid removing the complete seal, which should be in good condition apart from the step area. Anyone else tried this approach?

20210930_185618_resized.jpg

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but found the door seal rust issue earlier this week. They are expensive over here in New Zealand, so have been looking at getting a seal sent over from UK. Looks like there are two options; OEM at about £80 and reproduction at about £40.

Some of the suppliers sell them as either left or right front and as a continuous seal, whereas mine has a join on both doors as the picture shows - the joint is not glued or welded. My Cali was new, so I know that not all OEM seals are continuous.

Rather than replacing the whole seal, I am considering just replacing it from below the carpet line at the front to existing join at the rear to avoid removing the complete seal, which should be in good condition apart from the step area. Anyone else tried this approach?

View attachment 85101
What Did you do about the rust?

Is it a known VW Cali fault, ? Recall
Yes - WG is correct. The rust is entirely limited do the exposed steel within the rubber seals. When removed/replaced the galvanised body underneath is painted and gleaming with no corrosion whatsoever (or at least it was on my 2017).
For warranty I’d suspect it depends how new your van is and how generous your dealership is.

Yes - WG is correct. The rust is entirely limited do the exposed steel within the rubber seals. When removed/replaced the galvanised body underneath is painted and gleaming with no corrosion whatsoever (or at least it was on my 2017).
For warranty I’d suspect it depends how new your van is and how generous your dealership is.
Thank you, what’s the risk of doing nothing to it do you think?

What Did you do about the rust?
Best to completely cure the rust issue as eventually there may be no bodywork left to attach a new seal onto.
It is a water and dirt trap zone.

I've seen a few transporter van owners with this problem with some requiring body repairs.
Usually found by DIY van to campervan converters on vans that have unknown use history. Builders or who knows what.

Hello,

I had this rust on the rubber seal at the drivers door of my T6 Ocean. It was replaced by my VW dealer under warranty.

Good that it was replaced under warranty, because it seems a bit more work than I expected.

I thought I could wait for the replacement (half an hour I thought), but he said it is more work, some panels have to be removed.

As long as your camper is still under warranty I would check the rubber door seals and if there is some rust discuss it with your VW dealer.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thank you, what’s the risk of doing nothing to it do you think?
Very little risk imo but BJG’s account for Transporter forums implies it could degrade to the point it begins to affect the underlying body/frame.
It most likely looks unsightly for a bloomin’ expensive van that you take pride over. If you have the benefit of a warranty then definitely try your luck. Sounds like it worked for Eberhard. Whether you make a bespoke visit or wait until your next scheduled maintenance is your call - perhaps email some photos expressing your displeasure and expectation that they sort it will help.
The reality is they’re vulnerable to it so I personally now take extra care to never step on the seals and try to get my kids/wife to do the same. It’s like unlearning a habit though. Front door seals are a fairly quick job I believe as only a little trim needs lifting - the sliding door seal takes 2-3 hours.

Hi all.

We have this issue on our new (to us) 2017 Ocean.

I don’t really want to replace the seals as they don’t seem to be torn or broken. (Although perhaps they must be?).

Is there anything I could spray or paint on the rust to prevent it getting worse? ACF50, Rust-Oleum etc.

Many thanks for advice.

Mike

Hi all.

We have this issue on our new (to us) 2017 Ocean.

I don’t really want to replace the seals as they don’t seem to be torn or broken. (Although perhaps they must be?).

Is there anything I could spray or paint on the rust to prevent it getting worse? ACF50, Rust-Oleum etc.

Many thanks for advice.

Mike
ACF50, spray can.
There is often a hole in the round rubber section to allow air out when the seal is compressed on closing the door. Push the tube through that hole an spray a lot.

ACF50, spray can.
There is often a hole in the round rubber section to allow air out when the seal is compressed on closing the door. Push the tube through that hole an spray a lot.
Thank you!

Back