Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust under rubber seal on the floor

Sorry I should have made it clear

The rubber seal that attaches to the vehicle, is profiled U to fit over the panel seams,the rubber seal is attached via the U profile which is the wider rubber seal against the doors / other panels. Seals simply push onto the body work, fitting / removal is as simple as peeling it off the panel seam or pushing it onto the manufacturing seam. ( where multiple panels come together)

Go to your vehicle pull the rubber seal away from the body work seam ( gripping the ribbed part of the seal) it is simply a friction fit over the seam where multiple panels come together, the grip / friction fit is provided by the U profile of the rubber seal, the U profile is designed to fit over the edge of the various panels where they come together, the rubber seal has steel metal inserts cast into the rubberU profile, when the seal fails the steel is exposed to the air and oxidises causing rust to appear on the expose part, which is often seen on the rubber. Simply replacing the whole of the rubber seal will resolve the appearance of rust. The rust is associated with the exposed section of the steel showing through the failed rubber seal.

This design has been used by every vehicle manufacturer of modern vehicles.
Very simple very effective and cheap!
it is not normal for seals to need replacing Under normal wear and tear conditions

I hope that is a comprehensive explanation, let me know if you need additional info.
Thanks

I think I understand. So where the rubber has broken and the metal is exposed does not make contact with any metal part of the body. It is underneath the metal part that the seal makes contact with the body. I think I have got it. Thanks for the explanation. If anyone has a picture of how this fits on, or a picture of the profile of the seal would help. Thanks very much.

I have tried to get this done as warranty through my dealer but to no avail so I have escalated this myself to VW customer services and they are also adamant that it is wear and tear and not covered by warranty, yet I I see many posts on this thread where they have been replaced under warranty. I have only done 20,000 miles and 2 years old. It should not be coming apart this soon. It is clearly a bad design by VW (which I pointed out to VW) but they don't seem to be interested in it. I am going to try VW Customer care again and use the fact that some people have had this done under warranty and also the clause Amarillo quoted above. Case not yet closed on this one.

:headbang:headbang

Hi Tom. Can I ask, did your dealer replace the door seal without you having to complain to VW Customer Services? John Clark Commercial dealership in Dundee is refusing to replace saying that it’s wear and tear :headbang

The rubber seal looks okay but there is rust underneath it.

Just wanted some ammunition for when I speak to Service Manager tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Just wondering how you got on with your claim? My dealer tells me its wear and tear so I am now having a discussion with VW customer care who also claim it is wear and tear. Be keen to hear how you got on.

Just wondering how you got on with your claim? My dealer tells me its wear and tear so I am now having a discussion with VW customer care who also claim it is wear and tear. Be keen to hear how you got on.
I ended up speaking to the Service Manager at the dealership, Clark’s Commercials Dundee. My point to him was the van is less than 3 years old, has done around 17,000 miles and it’s a Campervan (not a commercial van) so should be built to withstand the frequent ins and outs. Anyway, the rubber seal around the sliding door was replaced, the awning was replaced (constantly rattled), left sliding door (under hob) was replaced and the small grey studs that hold the roof up we’re all replaced. The rubber seal around the door is most certainly not fit for purpose. Hopefully you will be able to change their mind and get it replaced.

I ended up speaking to the Service Manager at the dealership, Clark’s Commercials Dundee. My point to him was the van is less than 3 years old, has done around 17,000 miles and it’s a Campervan (not a commercial van) so should be built to withstand the frequent ins and outs. Anyway, the rubber seal around the sliding door was replaced, the awning was replaced (constantly rattled), left sliding door (under hob) was replaced and the small grey studs that hold the roof up we’re all replaced. The rubber seal around the door is most certainly not fit for purpose. Hopefully you will be able to change their mind and get it replaced.
I hope so but having no luck so far....

I hope so but having no luck so far....

Time for a new dealer?

Look at the Cali sales literature statement VW make regarding warranty and unexpected repairs, I’d say that you did not and would not expect that part to fail, it does not on any other vehicle of that age or mileage!
It’s either a warranty VW are offering or it’s not !

Ask the dealer to put in writing why they won’t replace the failed seal and state why they feel the failure of the seal and rust is normal ! Insist on it.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties/extended-warranty.html

Time for a new dealer?

Look at the Cali sales literature statement VW make regarding warranty and unexpected repairs, I’d say that you did not and would not expect that part to fail, it does not on any other vehicle of that age or mileage!
It’s either a warranty VW are offering or it’s not !

Ask the dealer to put in writing why they won’t replace the failed seal and state why they feel the failure of the seal and rust is normal ! Insist on it.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties/extended-warranty.html
Thanks for advice. I am trying my dealer and VW customer care with this information.

Vw cannot, beyond doubt, prove the seal failed first internally causing the external seal to split. I.e the rust caused the seal to fail.

If the dealer thinking rang true vw would not ever have to replace one single item under warranty.

Sorry sir you’ve used your vehicle so it’s not covered under warranty!
We’ve looked at your claim for a blown engine but have declined it because you drove it, so vw said it’s normal wear and tear.!
Yeah sorry your seats have holes in them, it’s because you sat on them in the wrong way!
We can’t fix your roof corrosion because your van has been outside and got wet, it’s been used in the wrong way !

I could go on all night thinking up inane statements like the ones above that are equally inane as what the dealer has told you regarding the faulty seal.

You either have a warranty as stated by VW or you do not

Dealer should either fix it or should put in writing the express reason why they “refuse” to fix a “faulty part” that is “ not fit for the purpose it was deigned to do “

Take that information and go to trading standards armed with VW statements and the written refusal from the dealer.

I think it is so churlish of your dealer.

Vw cannot, beyond doubt, prove the seal failed first internally causing the external seal to split. I.e the rust caused the seal to fail.

If the dealer thinking rang true vw would not ever have to replace one single item under warranty.

Sorry sir you’ve used your vehicle so it’s not covered under warranty!
We’ve looked at your claim for a blown engine but have declined it because you drove it, so vw said it’s normal wear and tear.!
Yeah sorry your seats have holes in them, it’s because you sat on them in the wrong way!
We can’t fix your roof corrosion because your van has been outside and got wet, it’s been used in the wrong way !

I could go on all night thinking up inane statements like the ones above that are equally inane as what the dealer has told you regarding the faulty seal.

You either have a warranty as stated by VW or you do not

Dealer should either fix it or should put in writing the express reason why they “refuse” to fix a “faulty part” that is “ not fit for the purpose it was deigned to do “

Take that information and go to trading standards armed with VW statements and the written refusal from the dealer.

I think it is so churlish of your dealer.
I agree with you entirely. I will not give up until I get satisfaction be that with the dealer, customer care or trading standards. I really find it hard to understand how VW can think we would accept such an issue as being normal “wear and tear”....

Im well outside of warranty so went for DIY. Bought new seals for the cab doors and pulled off the old ones. Was no problem getting new ones on, just a push fit over a profile. Had to carefully pull out some of the panels to hook the seal under them, but if I can do it (a complete car novice), then I believe anyone can :thumb Probably used about 1hr per door, so guess any dealer/mechanic would have managed both in 30mins or so.

While giving the vehicle a good clean, and cleaning out all the nooks and crannies I found rust in the rubber door seal running along the edge of the step.
The vehicles three-year warranty is about to expire, but we have taken out the extended five year warranty. So contacted SMG Tonbridge and asked whether it would be covered under the five year extended warranty, and they said NO, and that the vehicle would have to be inspected and the warranty claim registered before the expiry date of the three year warranty, although I had registered the problem and sent pictures to them. Also saying that if there was damage to the seal it wouldn't be covered.
Luckily the seal isn't damaged so there isn't an out for them there. But looking at it, what a stupid design when the seal is level where you place your foot to get in and out of the vehicle.If the the seal was slightly lower than the step it would be protected from damage.20200206_112550.jpg

Last edited:
Contacted SMG Tonbridge and asked whether it would be covered under the extended warranty and they said no, and that the vehicle would have to be inspected and the warranty claim registered before the expiry date although I had add a registered they problem and sent pictures to them. Also saying that if there was damage to the seal it wouldn't be covered.
SMG Tonbridge changed my seal under warranty without question.

The two year factory extended warranty offers exactly the same coverage as the original warranty, so if covered under the three year warranty it will be covered under the factory extended warranty. It may take some work to persuade a dealer of this fact.

Factory in bold italics: I'm sure you know the difference between the "factory extended warranty" and any other sort of extended warranty, but other readers may not be aware of the distinction. I'd advise them to search the forum for the term if they are unsure.

While giving the vehicle a good clean, and cleaning out all the nooks and crannies found rust in the rubber door seal running along the edge of the step.
The vehicles three-year warranty is about to expire, but we have taken out the extended five year warranty. Contacted SMG Tonbridge and asked whether it would be covered under the extended warranty and they said no, and that the vehicle would have to be inspected and the warranty claim registered before the expiry date although I had add a registered they problem and sent pictures to them. Also saying that if there was damage to the seal it wouldn't be covered.
Luckily the seal isn't damaged so there isn't an out for them there. But looking at it, what a stupid design when the seal is level where you place your foot to get in and out of the vehicle if the the seal was slightly lower than the step it would be protected from damageView attachment 55783
That seal has a metal clip type fastener inside and if the rubber is damaged then that rusts. Unlikely to be the body as that is galvanised etc.
No problems on my 5 yr old T5.1 that has the same type of seal, but a few reports of this on the T6, possibly due to a less robust seal. A few have been replaced under warranty.

Very recently I took our March 2017 Beach into Hertitage Bristol for it's MOT and final check over before the new vehicle 3 year warranty expired. I flagged up the rust issue with seals on the drivers door and sliding door. Both were replaced without quibble under warranty as 'known issues / design faults / weaknesses'. The only negative is that we will likley have same issue again unless we learn to avoid stepping on the seal as we enter and exit the van, which is easily said and actually quite easy to do IF YOU CAN ONLY remember to do so! Have to start to form a new side-saddle entry habit...!!!

In our three (and a half - long story!) years of VW Beach ownership, I can only sing the praises of the vehicle and VW Heritage at Bristol and in particular John Lawry who sold us our Beach. John is just great... and well worth the trip to Bristol if anyone is looking to buy a Cali & wants to be treated really well and benefit from John's knowledge and exceptionally high customer service values. He also mentioned that the Beach is no longer available to order new in the UK which is a huge shame as it is such a versatile vehicle...

Im well outside of warranty so went for DIY. Bought new seals for the cab doors and pulled off the old ones. Was no problem getting new ones on, just a push fit over a profile. Had to carefully pull out some of the panels to hook the seal under them, but if I can do it (a complete car novice), then I believe anyone can :thumb Probably used about 1hr per door, so guess any dealer/mechanic would have managed both in 30mins or so.
Thread resurrection - but I’m thinking of doing the same DIY on my own 2017 Ocean (out of warranty). Would you be able to share the parts supplier for all 3 door seals? Part numbers? Thank you!

Front door rubbers available from multicoloured auction site.

avoid getting non OEM slider door seal as the profile is different from the front door (despite sellers advising otherwise), just kampers etc.
the club shop will probably source them for you.

Your dealer parts department will be able to provide part numbers and costs (you will need to ask for the part numbers).

Thread resurrection - but I’m thinking of doing the same DIY on my own 2017 Ocean (out of warranty). Would you be able to share the parts supplier for all 3 door seals? Part numbers? Thank you!
I bought them from justkampers,
Part J19335 and J19336. Bit pricey compared to auction site, prices gone up about £20 since I ordered.

Just to circle back on this - I've decided to go ahead with this option; should work out at ~£160 all in for all 3 seals (that's for a combination of OEM and non-OEM seals):

2 x door seals. Non-OEM but reportedly a good fit and half the price of the OEM ones. £34.99 each from JustKampers https://www.justkampers.com/7e0-837...-door-seal-inner-t5-2003-2015-t6-2015-on.html

1 x Seal for sliding door. OEM part number 7E0843792 (quoted at £90.60 from breeze parts dept) is ~£79 inc P&P from LLL Parts https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/vag-seal-for-sliding-door-7e0843792/mpn/7e0843792

I'll try to take some photos during the fit when I get to it. Thanks to those who helped steer me on this @Perfectos @Trollhunter

Just to circle back on this - I've decided to go ahead with this option; should work out at ~£160 all in for all 3 seals (that's for a combination of OEM and non-OEM seals):

2 x door seals. Non-OEM but reportedly a good fit and half the price of the OEM ones. £34.99 each from JustKampers https://www.justkampers.com/7e0-837...-door-seal-inner-t5-2003-2015-t6-2015-on.html

1 x Seal for sliding door. OEM part number 7E0843792 (quoted at £90.60 from breeze parts dept) is ~£79 inc P&P from LLL Parts https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/vag-seal-for-sliding-door-7e0843792/mpn/7e0843792

I'll try to take some photos during the fit when I get to it. Thanks to those who helped steer me on this @Perfectos @Trollhunter
Depending on the use of your Van, expect mud and crud under each of the plastic steps, and paint rubbed off where the step reinforcing touches the steel bodywork. when I did mine on my previous van I allowed a day to clean, degrease and paint the damaged paintwork (smooth hammerite allowing curing time) before refitting the steps. Fitting the front rubbers is easier (and a better job) if you remove the lower B pillar covers and foot well steps.
whilst you have the B pillar trims off the slider step will come out easily. (Search the tube for vids of the foot step removal)

Mine is 15 year and I have the same issue. Just noted since I am a new owner to this Cali. But only on passenger side. On drivers side no sign of rust.
Just “comforting” to hear someone else with the same experience, and to read all comments. Great forum! Thanks!

Glad it can help you. I shared this update with Perfectos by PM but thought I’d circle back for anyone into this in the future.
First up, I would describe my maintenance skills as novice. If I can copy a YouTube video or have clear instructions then I’ll typically give it a go with some success, so bear that it mind while reading my conclusion below:

- Non OEM seals are cut to length and will therefore have a split at the point you cut. This is the material difference from OEM which are one continuous/joined piece of trim. I used non OEM for front doors abs OEM for the sliding door

- Driver/passenger door seals are not too challenging. Go slow when prising plastic trims away, use trim tools designed for the job (kits are readily available from Amazon) and have patience.

- I had to admit defeat for the sliding door seal. I just couldn’t figure out how to remove the upper trims sufficiently to allow sufficient wiggle room to get the new seal into place (old one does pull off easily). The restricted space caused by the blackout blind was too problematic. I therefore went to a local garage/indie who had a look. However, I stopped them proceeding when they declared that the whole rear bench would need to be removed to allow that whole OS trim piece to be removed (didn’t feel logical to me). At this point I admitted defeat and gave it to VW at Breeze who fitted the seal I provided them at the cost of 2 hours labour. Not cheap but I’m happy to have brand new seals on all points of entry now and it looks very smart. Perfectos didn’t have to call in the cavalry and managed to do it himself, plus he was very generous with instructions to help me at various stages. It may be notable that he completed the job on a T5.1 Kombi rather than the T6 Ocean and I do wonder if the enclosed blind and trim pieces differ slightly.

Back