Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust under rubber seal on the floor

Dichtung für Schiebetür rechts: 7E0843792 - 64,14€ = rubber seal for sliding door.
ggf. Klebstoff zum Einkleben der Dichtungen: AMV195KD101 - 9,88€ = glue.

Not sure if the T5 and T6 are different, the parts dept can tell you that.

Good afternoon ,

I visited VW this morning. Yes, they will charge it under warranty no problem here.

We got somebody from the workshop to look at it, because I wanted to know how long does it take to replace the rubber.

I've been told it is a good bit of work because the plastic covers inside need to come off. So, no work for a Saturday.

This us a pity. First if it happens out of warranty and I have to pay for it, it will be expensive. Also within warranty I have to bring the can to the dealer (thankfully not so far away) organise a car with the dealer and get it collected after work. Just a hassle.

Regards,
Eberhard

As Welsh Gas suggests, take dated photos of the inside areas that will be affected on replacement in case you're not happy with the quality of reassembly.

I've got this too on drivers side 2016 T6, forgot to mention to dealer at last service but will try a warranty claim.

If its any help we had this on our 66 plate cali and Nothampton Van centre covered it under warranty. This did take a little discussion as it's all our fault for the way we enter and exit the van!. This got our backs up and after suggesting its just a poor design they then covered as a good will item under warranty.

We have now had a new hob, fridge and awaning so slowly rebuilding a new van under warranty.

What was wrong with your awning? Our canopy is stretched and has child inflicted damage. I'm hoping for a warranty claim for the stretched canopy, and so get the child inflicted damage sorted too.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

It had a join/seam in the material and on a hot Italian day it just fell apart, pretty poor design for a canopy. The new material replaced under warranty is all one continuous section. I believe this is a common complaint and now I know I would not except one with a seam as if it came completely apart it would be a nightmare to transport back in bits.

My seals are intact and I cannot move the seal to check but from a visual inspection seems perfect. How do you check if the seals cannot be moved?

My seals are intact and I cannot move the seal to check but from a visual inspection seems perfect. How do you check if the seals cannot be moved?

If its intact your fine, its when the seal is damaged that the metal part of the seal starts to rust its not the van rusting just the seal. The side door one is going the same why on ours and not sure how you tell a 6 and 1 year old not to tread on it as suggested by the dealer.

Hi. My Cali is one year old.
Yesterday I noticed tears in rubber seal on the floor on all the doors.
And to my surprise also a lot of rust / corrosion.
Anyone else got this rubber tear and rust after just one year?
Is this under warranty?

Thanks for answers!
View attachment 34432
View attachment 34433
View attachment 34434
Hi, just wondering what you did in the end? Did you replace the seals (or have them replaced). Have a simimar problem with my front door seals and considering if i should change them myself.

Hi, just wondering what you did in the end? Did you replace the seals (or have them replaced). Have a simimar problem with my front door seals and considering if i should change them myself.
Haven't been at the dealer yet. I got 3 months left till the end of warranty. Have to go soon though. :)

Our van goes in to dealer tomorrow for the same thing. I was told by them last week that it was wear and tear and would not be covered under warranty. After a heated discussion he agreed to at least to discuss it with the warranty department?! I am not holding my breath but ready for battle...... Oh, and the awning is still rattling despite them fixing it. That has to be discussed with warranty too. Wish me luck

Our van goes in to dealer tomorrow for the same thing. I was told by them last week that it was wear and tear and would not be covered under warranty. After a heated discussion he agreed to at least to discuss it with the warranty department?! I am not holding my breath but ready for battle...... Oh, and the awning is still rattling despite them fixing it. That has to be discussed with warranty too. Wish me luck

FYI - Ours was also covered under warranty/good faith by VW Northampton

:headbang:headbang
My dealer replaced the seals under warranty. The rust occurred within 18 months from new under exceptionally heavy camping use.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi Tom. Can I ask, did your dealer replace the door seal without you having to complain to VW Customer Services? John Clark Commercial dealership in Dundee is refusing to replace saying that it’s wear and tear :headbang

The rubber seal looks okay but there is rust underneath it.

Just wanted some ammunition for when I speak to Service Manager tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Hi Tom. Can I ask, did your dealer replace the door seal without you having to complain to VW Customer Services? John Clark Commercial dealership in Dundee is refusing to replace saying that it’s wear and tear :headbang

Thanks in advance

Tell them you’ll come back at the weekend and every weekend afterwards to show any prospective customers who happen to be at the dealership the quality of the product and exceptional customer service that your receiving from your Vw dealer in exchange for your hard earned money !

the rubber seals are not an expensive item and are not labour intensive to replace, even if the dealer can’t justify the conversation with VWUK, they can apply their own judgement under goodwill !

I just don’t get how these dealers think ! Would you buy another vehicle from them or recommend them ?

Let the dealer know you will make the outcome of your issue public, via this forum, just so other prospective customers know whether you have had good customer service or not, just like you would expect when reviewing a restaurant!

Thanks in advance
I had three issues, all of which could have been interpreted as wear and tear: the door seal, a broken safety net ceiling hook (#1 son broke it by climbing over the net without unhooking) and a creased awning (the awning also has holes in it where #2 son had thrown stones onto it, and it had been wound in with the stones in-situ).

The service centre replaced the door seal and the broken safety net hook without question. Later the service manager said that replacing the door seal was a difficult job. Apparently much trim needed to be removed, the seal tucked in and the trim replaced. They would not replace the awning canopy because they said they could wind it out and in again without it creasing (it is only in very hot weather when it creases).

Of the three issues I had, I felt I was on pretty solid ground with the door seal. Our van was 18 months old, had been driven 39,000 miles and camped in over 300 nights. It had been used for its intended purpose, the door seals had split and the reinforcing wire within the door seal was rusting. This could not be a feature of the seal, nor would it be reasonable to expect people entering and exiting a campervan to be so careful in their foot placement to avoid treading on the seal. I did not have to argue these points. The seal was replaced without question.

The awning canopy argument I can take up at a later date - we still have 38,000 miles (or 37 months) left on our extended warranty.

The term (see below) Amarillo used is important, as this is exactly the terminology UK law would use to interpret this situation if it were to be ruled on in a court of law,

“This could not be a feature of the seal, nor would it be reasonable to expect people entering and exiting a campervan to be so careful in their foot placement to avoid treading on the seal.”

Thanks Tom and Perfectos for the information and advice. I am hoping to convince the Service Centre manager this afternoon. Strangely enough they replaced all the grey poppers on the roof lining and the plastic handle on the sliding door which keeps falling off. They are cheap and easy jobs and apparently covered under warranty!!! The awning is still rattling so they tell me that they have taken a video of this and awaiting instruction from VW warranty. All so frustrating :headbang

My 2017 Ocean also has this and on the front driver's door as well. I am hoping that the exposed metal does not in any way make contact with the main body and cause any further rust to develop. I mentioned it to my dealer as it is due a service this week and he confirmed that its not covered by warranty as it is simply wear and tear from feet pressing down on rubber trim. He said it happens to them all. I asked them to confirm that there is no "metal to metal" risk of breaking the body work paint seal. He confirmed this, but they will check when goes in for service next week.

My 2017 Ocean also has this and on the front driver's door as well. I am hoping that the exposed metal does not in any way make contact with the main body and cause any further rust to develop. I mentioned it to my dealer as it is due a service this week and he confirmed that its not covered by warranty as it is simply wear and tear from feet pressing down on rubber trim. He said it happens to them all. I asked them to confirm that there is no "metal to metal" risk of breaking the body work paint seal. He confirmed this, but they will check when goes in for service next week.
Does seem to be a common problem on the T6. Don't think it has ever been mentioned for the T5 or T5.1 and if it has certainly in much smaller numbers and more likely to be well outside the warranty period.

Does anyone know how the seal actually is fitted to the body?

Not sure what that means. Does the rubber with the metal enclosed fit into a grove or does it somehow fit over something? I’m just concerned that the exposed metal from within the rubber seal will start to scrape some body work paint leading to potential corrosion of the body. I can handle the corrosion on the metal coil within the seal but if this starts corroding the body due to metal against metal movement then I would be concerned.

Sorry I should have made it clear

The rubber seal that attaches to the vehicle, is profiled U to fit over the panel seams,the rubber seal is attached via the U profile which is the wider rubber seal against the doors / other panels. Seals simply push onto the body work, fitting / removal is as simple as peeling it off the panel seam or pushing it onto the manufacturing seam. ( where multiple panels come together)

Go to your vehicle pull the rubber seal away from the body work seam ( gripping the ribbed part of the seal) it is simply a friction fit over the seam where multiple panels come together, the grip / friction fit is provided by the U profile of the rubber seal, the U profile is designed to fit over the edge of the various panels where they come together, the rubber seal has steel metal inserts cast into the rubberU profile, when the seal fails the steel is exposed to the air and oxidises causing rust to appear on the expose part, which is often seen on the rubber. Simply replacing the whole of the rubber seal will resolve the appearance of rust. The rust is associated with the exposed section of the steel showing through the failed rubber seal.

This design has been used by every vehicle manufacturer of modern vehicles.
Very simple very effective and cheap!
it is not normal for seals to need replacing Under normal wear and tear conditions

I hope that is a comprehensive explanation, let me know if you need additional info.

Last edited:
Back