Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust - cab door sill

Dealer has offered over the phone to cover 75% of the cost of repair, admitting their fault but “blaming” me for letting so much time pass, leading to more extensive damage than if I had taken earlier action. Not sure what to think of this tbh.
I can understand their point and I'm not sure what Swedish Consumer Law rights you have. But I would point out to them the following.
1. They are the "experts" and were not aware of the damage at point of sale.
2. You, the "non-expert" buyer were not aware of the damage at point of sale until the secondary damage became apparent.
3. Once the secondary damage was apparent it was investigated by the Approved VW Bodyshop and the timeline of events established back to the Dealership.
4. They cannot blame you the "non-expert" for their "expert" failings in identifying the damage at point of sale.

I can understand their point and I'm not sure what Swedish Consumer Law rights you have. But I would point out to them the following.
1. They are the "experts" and were not aware of the damage at point of sale.
2. You, the "non-expert" buyer were not aware of the damage at point of sale until the secondary damage became apparent.
3. Once the secondary damage was apparent it was investigated by the Approved VW Bodyshop and the timeline of events established back to the Dealership.
4. They cannot blame you the "non-expert" for their "expert" failings in identifying the damage at point of sale.

This is a genuine question from me that I don't know anything about.
Legally would something like this not come down to a "sold as seen" item. In the same way that if the paint had scratches or the interior tears or stains and you didn't notice when you looked round but they were not specifically covered or hidden. It is second hand, at what point does the responsibility for something you could have seen and wasn't hidden from you become the responsibility of the dealer ?
I have to say that if I had bought it, I would have assumed I had no come back and sadly fixed it myself, so I would be quite grateful for 75% contribution if offered.
But I am genuinely interested to know if you really do have right to more than that ?

This is a genuine question from me that I don't know anything about.
Legally would something like this not come down to a "sold as seen" item. In the same way that if the paint had scratches or the interior tears or stains and you didn't notice when you looked round but they were not specifically covered or hidden. It is second hand, at what point does the responsibility for something you could have seen and wasn't hidden from you become the responsibility of the dealer ?
I have to say that if I had bought it, I would have assumed I had no come back and sadly fixed it myself, so I would be quite grateful for 75% contribution if offered.
But I am genuinely interested to know if you really do have right to more than that ?
Consumer law will differ from county to county, however A dealer also has a moral issue to uphold.

in this instance the damage was apparent at point of sale, no argument and admitted by the dealer.
and as WG says the dealer is the the Expert and should have not sold a Vehicle with a (edit:known ) fault, that later has caused secondary issues.
Further the dealer is responsible to ensure the vehicle is fit for sale, in this instance a structural component of the van is deemed to need repair, that part was faulty at the time of sale, regardless of the timeline that has resulted in secondary damage occurring which has naturally highlighted the original issue to the OP.

i.e: The dealer should have checked the van correctly and rectified this issue prior to sales (I.e at their full cost )

Edit: This applies to Cal’ish T6, not the original T4 post

Last edited:
I would have thought that the responsibility for repair would be on the garage that sold it. I don’t know what the consumer laws are in Sweden but I would imagine stricter than the UK.
Just because you didn’t notice a serious fault when you bought it shouldn’t mean the onus is on you to pay yourself to get it fixed.
If the dealer has admitted liability which he has then it’s his responsibility to pay the full amount and trying to blame you for not seeing it is simply not on.
You say you bought it less than a year ago which I take it means very close to a year.
But even so why would you under normal circumstances get on your knees and take pictures at that night?
It’s only because you noticed that the door was rubbing on the cill you investigated further. Good luck.

I have a rust patch that has developed on the cab door sill. I am a newbie T4 owner and not treated any rust before. Any advice on how to have a go at this little spot would be much appreicated. Be good to learn so I can tackle other areas which will inevitable develop! Cheers

View attachment 89558
Sand down and treat the area with a good rust convertor, like BiltHamber. You could always coat with Por-15 and prime/top coat. Por-15 won't allow rust to return.

Back