Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running Mains Fan on Inverter

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone run a mains fan of thier inverter? I've been reading reviews of 12v ones that don't seem super powerful so wondering if we can use one from the house.

It's 45 watts, and van has good leisure batteries and 100w solar.

Thanks

With solar, batteries will be the least of your problems. I tried that once and it fried the fan electronics. You may be aware that the inverter does not give a clean sine wave, which can damage the fan electronics. If it is a simple fan with no fancy electronics, you should be fine. The one that tried was a dimplex one with various fancy modes etc. Still under my table ... planning to repair it when I get the time.

I would use a decent inverter on the cigarette lighter output by the side of the kitchen unit.

Does anyone run a mains fan of thier inverter? I've been reading reviews of 12v ones that don't seem super powerful so wondering if we can use one from the house.

It's 45 watts, and van has good leisure batteries and 100w solar.

Thanks
Yes. I have a 50w fan , no fancy controls and 1 speed, used on mains or inverter. Works well, but will use about 4amps/hr in use. Fine for overnight use.

Thanks all, its actually a dimplex one with fancy controls. I'll see if I can pick up a normal one.

Cheers

There is one fan that is utterly brilliant for van life; The SnowPea foldable, telescopic, oscillating, 12 hour battery, USB-C portable silent fan.
It's big, yet weirdly not. Loads of amazing airflow, especially overnight during this heatwave, has a switch off timer and a remote control which I magnetise close to the sleeping position. AMAZING, truly.

Back