Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotherhithe Tunnel

Good job the Cali is 1.96M high then..
But it is more than 2 tonnes and wider than 2m inc wing mirrors.

But it is more than 2 tonnes and wider than 2m inc wing mirrors.

It appears to be just the width we need to worry about. The weight limited appears to relate to goods vehicles only. So OK on height and weight - just fail on width. But same result, however many you fail on.

Fold in your wing mirrors and you'll be fine:

=====
Vehicles more than 2 metres (6'6") high, 2 metres (6'6") wide or goods vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes (maximum gross weight) are not safe to travel through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Drivers that do not comply could be fined up to £130.
=====
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/rotherhithe-tunnel-restrictions

There's an electronic sign near me saying "cars only in Rotherhithe Tunnel". That's not quite accurate: cyclists and pedestrians are welcome too.

Last edited:
It has height measuring but not width or weight measuring so you would be pretty unlucky to have an issue.

What about ANPR?

@Amarillo can you test the route please? :D
Until a few weeks ago the limits were 2m width, 4m height and 17 tons weight, 10m length.
https://goo.gl/maps/RDzaZxkEyP52

I've been through on foot, by bicycle and by car. The least pleasant is by bicycle and the most pleasant by car.

I think the issue is one of ventilation. Given that cyclists and pedestrians are allowed to use the tunnel, I am convinced that the air standards fall far short of minimum.

Yea, could be an issue but if you can drive through normal 2m width restriction we often find and we are not commercial, I still think technically we would be okay.
Part 1, Regulation 3(2): The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

overall width

the distance between longitudinal planes passing through the extreme lateral projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on, or attached to, the vehicle except—

(a) any driving mirror;

(b) any snow-plough fixed in front of the vehicle;

(c) so much of the distortion of any tyre as is caused by the weight of the vehicle;

(d) any receptacle specially designed to hold and keep secure a seal issued for the purposes of customs clearance;

(e) any lamp or reflector fitted to the vehicle in accordance with the Lighting Regulations;

(f) any sideboard which is let down while the vehicle is stationary in order to facilitate its loading or unloading;

(g) any fitting attached to part of, or to a receptacle on, a vehicle which does not increase the carrying capacity of the part or receptacle but which enables it to be
  • —transferred from a road vehicle to a railway vehicle or from a railway vehicle to a road vehicle;
  • —secured to a railway vehicle by a locking device; and
  • —carried on a railway vehicle by the use of stanchions;
(h) any sheeting or other readily flexible means of covering or securing a load;

(i) any receptacle with an external width, measured at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, which does not exceed 2.5 m;

(j) any empty receptacle which itself forms a load;

(k) any receptacle which contains an indivisible load of exceptional width;

(l) any receptacle manufactured before 30th October 1985, not being a maritime container (namely a container designed primarily for carriage on sea transport without an accompanying road vehicle); or

(m) any special appliance or apparatus as described in regulation 81(c) which does not itself increase the carrying capacity of the vehicle.

=====

I may well drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel tomorrow.

Part 1, Regulation 3(2): The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

overall width

the distance between longitudinal planes passing through the extreme lateral projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on, or attached to, the vehicle except—

(a) any driving mirror;

(b) any snow-plough fixed in front of the vehicle;

(c) so much of the distortion of any tyre as is caused by the weight of the vehicle;

(d) any receptacle specially designed to hold and keep secure a seal issued for the purposes of customs clearance;

(e) any lamp or reflector fitted to the vehicle in accordance with the Lighting Regulations;

(f) any sideboard which is let down while the vehicle is stationary in order to facilitate its loading or unloading;

(g) any fitting attached to part of, or to a receptacle on, a vehicle which does not increase the carrying capacity of the part or receptacle but which enables it to be
  • —transferred from a road vehicle to a railway vehicle or from a railway vehicle to a road vehicle;
  • —secured to a railway vehicle by a locking device; and
  • —carried on a railway vehicle by the use of stanchions;
(h) any sheeting or other readily flexible means of covering or securing a load;

(i) any receptacle with an external width, measured at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, which does not exceed 2.5 m;

(j) any empty receptacle which itself forms a load;

(k) any receptacle which contains an indivisible load of exceptional width;

(l) any receptacle manufactured before 30th October 1985, not being a maritime container (namely a container designed primarily for carriage on sea transport without an accompanying road vehicle); or

(m) any special appliance or apparatus as described in regulation 81(c) which does not itself increase the carrying capacity of the vehicle.

=====

I may well drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel tomorrow.
Thanks for information, good luck with your drive through tunnel.

California test drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel suspended.

The boys finish school at 2.15 on Fridays. Usually we go cycling or to a playground, but today, being such foul weather, we were going to test out the new Woolwich Ferry, then return home via the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Unfortunately the Woolwich Ferry, after being suspended last October and reopening on 1 February with three brand new ships, has been suspended again. I’m not taking the boys on a there and back trip through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Instead we are having a film afternoon.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

California test drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel suspended.

The boys finish school at 2.15 on Fridays. Usually we go cycling or to a playground, but today, being such foul weather, we were going to test out the new Woolwich Ferry, then return home via the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Unfortunately the Woolwich Ferry, after being suspended last October and reopening on 1 February with three brand new ships, has been suspended again. I’m not taking the boys on a there and back trip through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Instead we are having a film afternoon.

I love the Woolwich ferry crossing I will be interested to know what you think of the new ships when it is back in service. In the summer I stay for a few days at the Abbey Wood campsite so I can cycle in the area. I always go across on the ferry. On a bike you get to go to he head of the queue.

I love the Woolwich ferry crossing I will be interested to know what you think of the new ships when it is back in service. In the summer I stay for a few days at the Abbey Wood campsite so I can cycle in the area. I always go across on the ferry. On a bike you get to go to he head of the queue.
I too love the Woolwich Ferry. There is a lovely traffic free urban bike ride I do.
-Woolwich Ferry
-Greenway (northern outflow sewer)
-Limehouse Cut
-Canary Wharf to Hilton Ferry
-Thames Path back to Woolwich

I too love the Woolwich Ferry. There is a lovely traffic free urban bike ride I do.
-Woolwich Ferry
-Greenway (northern outflow sewer)
-Limehouse Cu
-Canary Wharf to Hilton Ferry

I will try Canary Wharf to Hilton Ferry

Is the path now open from Woolwich to Greenwich I think I had to use the road at one point last time I tried cycling to Greenwich, I sometimes cheat and use the train,

I do do the route
Abby Wood to
Woolwich Ferry
Royal Albert Dock so I can have my lunch looking at city airport then New Bacton Park
to Greenway (northern outflow sewer)
Queen Elizabeth Park - toilets
Victoria Park
Regents canal (there is a cafe at lock 7)
Canary Wharf to Woolwich Arsenal on ferry ( my grandfather worked there doing WW1)
cycle along Thames Path back to near Plumstead
walk a bit then side roads back to Abby Wood.

I’ve just completed the Rotherhithe Tunnel - Woolwich Ferry loop.
https://goo.gl/maps/MBWxw4GhVdM2

My 1st observation is don’t leave at 3.15 thinking you will be ahead of the rush hour. You won’t!

Restrictions through the tunnel were well signed. 2m width, 2m height, no more than 2 tons for vans (van symbol with 2t in the body). It is not clear that the weight limit only applies to commercial vans, but it is obvious that it wouldn’t apply to large cars such as Range Rovers.

The speed limit in the tunnel is 20mph, enforced by average speed cameras. Lanes are narrow so don’t expect to accidentally stray over the limit. The footways are fairly wide with low kerbs and on both sides, so a chance to swerve onto them if an oncoming car driver loses concentration. I didn't observe a single pedestrian or cyclist in the tunnel. According to Wikipedia just 20 pedestrians and 150 cyclists a day pass under the Thames through the Rotherhithe Tunnel; compare this with the 10,000 cyclists a day crossing London Bridge. This is probably due to the very hostile environment for pedestrians and cyclists.

Walking through the Rotherhithe Tunnel - You tube clip

There were plenty of commercial vans over 2 tonnes going through the tunnel, including one Sprinter, and several builders' trucks.

The 2m width limiter is high kerbs, so no need to fold in wing mirrors - just take care of those expensive alloys. There is no physical 2m height barrier, therefore the Sprinter observed in the tunnel. The old 4.4m height restrictor is there; perhaps the lack of a physical barrier is to allow emergency vehicles access.
a4acec9f9dd8a6f7ffa2062716a307a4.jpg

The new Woolwich Ferry feels smaller than the old ferry with 4 lanes not 5. Embarkation and disembarkation is faster and fairer with the first on being first off. At the time of our passage, docking was painfully slow, but this should improve as the crew grow in experience. The ferry itself is far quieter and smoother than the old service. The announcement #peep peep - Passengers are reminded that they must vacate the vessel after each crossing... In case of emergency there will be three long blasts from the ship’s whistle followed by a series of short blasts# is now confined to my memory, the precise wording is fading and will continue to fade.
d05f2f3f82e2bda7277641a65e8a89b4.jpg

2dcff52f302d7b14db4483ed749b6912.jpg

cb95bf6bd115bc74eee1114d63cdeea8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for testing that out - I was caught out shortly after they imposed the restrictions, which were being reinforced by a heavy traffic police presence. As I didn't know that I should be allowed through I went round the roundabout and tried to find a new route.

At which point my iPhone sat nav lost it's presence of mind and let go of the rope. A good 45 minutes later we managed to get to London Bridge, having mysteriously missed Tower Bridge.

I wish there was a way to tell the sat nav that the route it wants to take is blocked. If anyone knows of a way to do that, pray tell.

Edit. spelling

Thanks for testing that out - I was caught out shortly after they imposed the restrictions, which were being reinforced by a heavy traffic police presence. As I didn't know that I should be allowed through I went round the roundabout and tried to find a new route.

At which point my iPhone sat nav lost it's presence of mind and let go of the rope. A good 45 minutes later we managed to get to London Bridge, having mysteriously missed Tower Bridge.

I wish there was a way to tell the sat nav that the route it wants to take is blocked. If anyone knows of a way to do that, pray tell.

Edit. spelling
There is on my RNS510. I can't believe they would have downgraded that function on the T6 equivalent.
Aaah I see you were using an iPhone - that explains it.

https://goo.gl/maps/MBWxw4GhVdM2

My 1st observation is don’t leave at 3.15 thinking you will be ahead of the rush hour. You won’t!

Restrictions through the tunnel were well signed. 2m width, 2m height, no more than 2 tons for vans (van symbol with 2t in the body). It is not clear that the weight limit only applies to commercial vans, but it is obvious that it wouldn’t apply to large cars such as Range Rovers.

The speed limit in the tunnel is 20mph, enforced by average speed cameras. Lanes are narrow so don’t expect to accidentally stray over the limit. The footways are fairly wide with low kerbs and on both sides, so a chance to swerve onto them if an oncoming car driver loses concentration. I didn't observe a single pedestrian or cyclist in the tunnel. According to Wikipedia just 20 pedestrians and 150 cyclists a day pass under the Thames through the Rotherhithe Tunnel; compare this with the 10,000 cyclists a day crossing London Bridge. This is probably due to the very hostile environment for pedestrians and cyclists.

Walking through the Rotherhithe Tunnel - You tube clip

There were plenty of commercial vans over 2 tonnes going through the tunnel, including one Sprinter, and several builders' trucks.

The 2m width limiter is high kerbs, so no need to fold in wing mirrors - just take care of those expensive alloys. There is no physical 2m height barrier, therefore the Sprinter observed in the tunnel. The old 4.4m height restrictor is there; perhaps the lack of a physical barrier is to allow emergency vehicles access.
a4acec9f9dd8a6f7ffa2062716a307a4.jpg

The new Woolwich Ferry feels smaller than the old ferry with 4 lanes not 5. Embarkation and disembarkation is faster and fairer with the first on being first off. At the time of our passage, docking was painfully slow, but this should improve as the crew grow in experience. The ferry itself is far quieter and smoother than the old service. The announcement #peep peep - Passengers are reminded that they must vacate the vessel after each crossing... In case of emergency there will be three long blasts from the ship’s whistle followed by a series of short blasts# is now confined to my memory, the precise wording is fading and will continue to fade.
d05f2f3f82e2bda7277641a65e8a89b4.jpg

2dcff52f302d7b14db4483ed749b6912.jpg

cb95bf6bd115bc74eee1114d63cdeea8.jpg

Great thanks for update.

“I didn't observe a single pedestrian or cyclist in the tunnel. According to Wikipedia just 20 pedestrians and 150 cyclists a day pass under the Thames through the Rotherhithe Tunnel; compare this with the 10,000 cyclists a day crossing London Bridge.”

I used to be one of those 150. Commuting from surrey quays to Shadwell. Tended to go that way in the morning as traffic was lighter but over Tower bridge on the way home. Because of the 20mph limit you can keep with the traffic flow on the way in. Not so much on the way back up! There isn’t a kerb drop once you are in so found it best to stick to the pavement the whole way. I think I only met a pedestrian twice in 5 years.

I only once cycled over Tower Bridge I did not like it. There seams to be a dip in the road near the kerb, also once on it no way off as barrier between road and pavement. I now push my bike on the pavement. Otherwise I like cycling in London. I feel saver than in Suffolk, other than in forest areas. Country roads have people driving fast and often passing is difficult. In London the ability to use dedicated ways and, river and canal side and parks is great. One of the reasons I brought a California was so I could take my bike to places I can cycle. I carry my bike inside, and I also have somewhere to change in to my cycle shorts.

Back