Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof seal popping out

edwatters

edwatters

Ed and Sam
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone had problems with the rubber seal popping off when the roof is up? Happened a few times and they re-fitted the roof/canvas,but seams to have started again. Front corner on driver side is worst. I asked if they mastic or something similar and they said its not done as not required.

Appreciate advice or similar problems. Van only bought in Mar 12!

I have a 57 plate Cali which i bought when it was 2 years old.
It had had it's roof bellows replaced when I bought it.

When it was just over 3 years old, the seal over the passenger seat began to pull away a little.
It was impossible to push back when the roof was fully up but easy when the front was about 2 feet up, Curiously this problem has disappeared but has re-emerged over the driver side rear corner. Once again, it is impossible to push back in place with the roof up but easy when the rear bit of the roof is 25% up. Once pushed back in place, it takes about a half dozen raising and lowering cycles for the problem to recur.

There's never been any water coming in when the problem is active but it does irk me a little.
Only about a 6" length comes away but I do worry whether it might get worse.

It looks like two of us have posted on this problem.
I wonder if there are any more?
And what to do to fix it/`

Thanks for reply, sounds really similar, as the replacement roof and canvas seemed to solve it ( used to happen on both sides), was fine for a few months, then happened the other day. The dealer who replaced the roof said they'd never seen it before! :?

Was thinking I was doing something wrong and causing it myself! :oops:

Could you perhaps put a little silicone sealer in it to hold it in ??

If when refitting or fitting the bellows, the seal on the outside is pushed down, but if the same is not done on the inside then eventually it will come away again. Make sure the inside is done correctly and it should be fine.

Thanks

Thanks Alex, Good steer, I'll have a look, Barry

Did this solve your issue? Having the same here!

As this thread is 10 years old, you are unlikely to get any response unless you use the "REPLY" button on the post you are interested in as the Original Poster then gets a notification of your post, otherwise you are dependent on the Poster checking back periodically and I very much doubt if anyone will after 10 yrs.

With the roof seal if it’s left say over winter and the roof isn’t raised the rubber tends to stick to the paintwork and consequently pulls off as it’s only a push fit. When we had our roof repaired because of the dreaded corrosion problem the new seal was actually glued into place which I think personally they should have done at the factory. Then a seal without steel in it would have completely eliminated Galvanic Corrosion and saved VW millions. But then we are just Plebs so what do we know.....