Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rails

Diverboy 61

Diverboy 61

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Ok I wondered if anyone has fitted a set of roof rails on a California? I have a T6 beach and love the look of roof bars; so I wonder can they be fitted? Any ideas ??

I have never seen it on a Cali, only once on a conversion - but there are many solutions for the VW Panel van, Maybe one of those can be converted/altered to fit.

Last edited:
Ok I wondered if anyone has fitted a set of roof rails on a California? I have a T6 beach and love the look of roof bars; so I wonder can they be fitted? Any ideas ??
You do realise that fitting these will make the vehicle over 2m in height thus limiting access to some carparks and some continental tunnels/routes.

You do realise that fitting these will make the vehicle over 2m in height thus limiting access to some carparks and some continental tunnels/routes.

Who cares ...if they "look nice" ;)

Hope you are not planning to vistit France using tollroads , if so take a look at the diffrent height class category's

I hadn’t realised that thank you.

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has actually been charged extra at the tolls for using roof racks?

According to the FAQs luggage does not count against the height limit and you should still be class 1:
https://espaceclient.aprr.fr/faq/Pages/QuestionReponse.aspx?question=1726

Just trying to plan the logistics for our first European surf trip of the summer and how much it will cost us to get the surf bus to down to Biarittz!

And does anyone any recommendations for Ocean-compatible roof bars that can take a couple of surfboards?

These bars should fit (double check) Square bars are the best I've found as the 'U' clamps are more universally available on various manufacturers items. Cheaper, slightly noisier wind wise but I've found that most of the noise comes from the feet not the bar.
https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-G...rails=with-T-Track&modelYear=2015-plus&id=108
This Thule kit to carry a surfboard, 1 kit per board.
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/surfb...le-square-roof-bars-universal-board-and-masts

Thule 832 is for Surfboards and cheaper than above.

We have the Thule wingbar 127 cm with the 753 XT mount. Thule recommend tve 751 XT mount. But it is higher and does not look so nice. We carry A roofbox with kitesurf equipment or SUPs on them. We use a ION foamroll under the SUPs to eliminate risk of dents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have the Thule wingbar 127 cm with the 753 XT mount. Thule recommend tve 751 XT mount. But it is higher and does not look so nice. We carry A roofbox with kitesurf equipment or SUPs on them. We use a ION foamroll under the SUPs to eliminate risk of dents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi,
I have a Cali 2015 and looking for a low profile roof system to carry our SUP's do you have any photos of your set?
Thanks

I can confirm that french toll will scan a cali with roofbars as a higher class than it should so you have to press the help button and tell them you are class 1. A cali with roofbars should pay the normal car toll (cheapest). Happened many many times and never a problem.

If you’re using an electronic tag then you can appeal each entry on the invoice where the Cali has been classified as Class 2.
I have had success with challenging every incorrect booking via the Emovis tag.
Just with roof bars I’m frequently still treated as Class 1, but once I put my roof box or a long paddle board on the roof it is almost always triggering the sensors as Class 2.

Back