Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof not shutting

D

dmccarr1

i went camping a few weeks ago and the roof dropped a few times after i opened it, i fixed it by raising it again from the position it dropped.

This weekend i had the same issue but when I tried to close the roof it dropped quite suddenly on the left side, I then raised it and it stayed up all weekend. When i came to close the roof today the left back side now stays open by about 2 inches but all the other corners are closed

any ideas what the problem might be - i double checked it make sure nothing has been left in the roof

cheers
dave

Closing ours today the bellows got trapped as the wind blew them into the mechanism. No damage done just opened pushed them back in and all ok

Hi this appears to be a common problem and one that has been discussed in the past. Search for Wonky roof and see what has gone before. I had this problem on my eight week old Cali which after two lengthy visits and a complete hydraulic rack being fitted under warranty sorted the problem. However there are many other reasons why this may be happening and the hydraulics only one of them so a trip to your main dealer and a warranty repair will no doubt have it sorted soon. It's annoying and takes that shine of a great piece of kit, hop you get it sorted soon.!

It seems the dealer cannot find a problem and is now suggesting I have left something in the roof which has bent it. I am certain this happend when the roof suddenly dropped. I get the feeling VW won't honor the warranty here, I have only used the roof 5 times.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

dmccarr1 said:
It seems the dealer cannot find a problem and is now suggesting I have left something in the roof which has bent it. I am certain this happend when the roof suddenly dropped. I get the feeling VW won't honor the warranty here, I have only used the roof 5 times.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

Dave did the dealer find anything wrong with the roof ..??? U say it doesn't close correctly either now ??
Lee

The roof still does not shut at the back left, the dealer thinks this is because it is bent? But they cannot find any issue with the mechanism so they are saying I must have left something in the roof. So I still have a big problem unfortunately :)

any photo's .???? links to photo's you may have sent them ..???
it would be interesting to see ,as i think someone else had a similar issue with the roof not closing at the rear ,but when up the mech looked ok ..

I didn't get chance to take a photo before the garage took it unfortunately. Looks like they have now found an issue and ordered the parts. I'll post an update on the specific issue and resolution once i get it back hopefully this weekend

cheers
dave

Glad they have taken some responsibility for this. It beggars belief that a £50k vehicle has so many problems with what should be a standard and reliable attribute to a camper van i.e. that you can elevate and shut the roof without having palpitations ? Hope all goes well

dmccarr1 said:
I didn't get chance to take a photo before the garage took it unfortunately. Looks like they have now found an issue and ordered the parts. I'll post an update on the specific issue and resolution once i get it back hopefully this weekend

cheers
dave

it sounds like VW didn't really look at it correctly in the first place if they have now found a warranty issue and ordered parts ....another great dealership not really knowing what they are doing .....lets hope they can repair better than they diagnosed the problem fella ....
finger crossed for you ...