Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof issue

Y

Yodaalwaysgoes

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone. I wonder can I ask for some guidance? I am making inquiries about a T5 remotely. The vendor has alerted me to what they call ‘roof corrosion.’ I have attached the photo sent. I am currently reading through the thread on roof related issues but wonder if someone with experience of these things could have a look at the photo. Is this the corrosion issue I have seen discussed (relating to corrosion under seals) or some other corrosion issue or just paint flaked off an aluminium panel? Thanks in advance. 49A6D9CA-FC3A-420F-9D55-6370CD5A3FF0.jpeg

Hi everyone. I wonder can I ask for some guidance? I am making inquiries about a T5 remotely. The vendor has alerted me to what they call ‘roof corrosion.’ I have attached the photo sent. I am currently reading through the thread on roof related issues but wonder if someone with experience of these things could have a look at the photo. Is this the corrosion issue I have seen discussed (relating to corrosion under seals) or some other corrosion issue or just paint flaked off an aluminium panel? Thanks in advance. View attachment 93111
I would say yes. But, the roof seal does not look like a T5 one. I’ve never seen a T5 with a seal fixed to the non lifting part of the roof as in your photo. Have you got any more photos?

As ArunAlec says
That seal does not look right, the black along the roof edge is not a Cali seal And looks like a bodged DIY attempt

what is the black Gunk on the roof edge which looks to be in poor condition?

what is the black seal in the recess that looks to be heavily pitted and in bad condition ?

the roof looks like it’s blistering everywhere in the photo

7DB8B45B-FEE8-4E4A-B17A-39B84AD0CBFB.jpeg

Thanks for looking at photo and feedback given.

I would say yes. But, the roof seal does not look like a T5 one. I’ve never seen a T5 with a seal fixed to the non lifting part of the roof as in your photo. Have you got any more photos?
My 2008 T5 has black paint along the bottom bit (non lifting part) where the top seal meets it. That’s how it was made. That could be what we’re looking at, maybe?

As I have said before I think part of the general maintenance of a California includes washing it. Not the whole snow and wax rigmarole necessarily but if you don’t give it a decent wash and hose down reasonably regularly things start growing on it in the various crevices. This roof looks like it’s kind of just sat outside for a few years and doesn’t look too great. It would certainly make me worry about other maintenance stuff like servicing and oil changes etc.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Back