Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion!

L

Luke Berry

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone,

I have been a member on here since before owning my California, as I wanted to research them before for I made the decision and bought one.

So last July I traveled to Peterborough from Weymouth to look at a 2015 California which had 35k Miles, one owner with full Vw service history. So whist researching I read about the roof corrosion issue and that it was potentially only up to vehicles registered 2013 or older,

Whilst viewing the Cali in great detail, I popped the roof and looked around the front edge where the wind deflector is, which I was lead to believe the corrosion could potentially be. All was fine, so I looked around the rest of the roof, it actually looked new!

So, I did end up buying the Cali and I have been very happy with my purchase. Myself, my wife and two children have since been away whenever we can and have throughly enjoyed every minute of owning it.

So, as with all the vehicles I own and have owned, I like to keep all the servicing up together at the main dealer, especially with such a high valued vehicle like a Cali.

So, since owning it, it’s been into my local Vw garage for an oil chance, an mot and most recently a gear box oil change. So all of the times that it has been in nothing has ever been mentioned about the roof, until it’s most recent visit when it went in for it’s dsg gearbox oil change. So, when ringing up to book it in, the lady over the phone said “oh there’s a recall on your camper to check for roof corrosion” I said said “ ok no problem, I’m sure it’s ok as I checked before I bought it, but please feel free” she then said that the recall is in all t5 and t6 Cali’s and that there is a 6 month wait to rectify the corrosion that they are discovering! I asked her what was involved if they do find corrosion, and she said that they take the whole roof off and basically treat the corrosion and then repaint the whole roof! My thoughts were what have I got to worry about!’

So, while the van was at the garage I received a phone explaining that thy had discovered “extensive” corrosion. I was completely shocked to say the least, and asked where? And was informed that the corrosion is underneath the whole of the rubber seal In the underside of the roof!

They have assured me that the corrosion will be rectified in full at no cost, and that the Cali will be picked up in a low loader and a courtesy vehicle will also be supplied.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I wanted to make other Cali owners aware of this as I think perhaps it’s maybe being glossed over slightly, because if I wasn’t asked or told about the recall that’s apparently on all t5 and t6 Cali’s, I would have never known anything about it. Since it coming back, I have checked and still I can’t see this corrosion they talk about, although I have only pulled the seal down in a few areas, so I guess there could be if you pulled it all off. My point is, it still looks immaculate underneath the roof, and I am very fussy and particular.

I have read many posts on here and have yet to write or comment on any posts, but I just thought that other owners should know about this hence my post.

I know await to hear from them as to when they might come and take our pride and joy away, let’s hope it’s during the winter lol!!

Best wishes,

Luke

There are two very long sticky threads on roof corrosion on the forum, one specific to T5's and, despite VW's assurances, one for T6 Californias. It is, sadly, a thorn in the side of our dream vehicles.

Sorry to hear that you're is affected. At least VW have identified it and agreed to the repair.

Don't let it keep you awake at night just enjoy and wait for a repair./fix

Well written post. I hope the process proceed fast and efficient, and that you have your Calli back soon.

What you were told by this person on the phone regarding a recall and that they take the whole roof off and repaint it it completely different to what we were told when OUR California went in for treatment. I had noticed on an earlier occasion that there was blistering under the roof seal. Didn’t think that much about it until we were talking to someone on a campsite in Spain who had the same thing happen and he had taken it back to get a fix.....When we got home I contacted the dealer Sinclairs in Gorseinon Swansea. I know the manager in the body shop and explained my problem and he told me to bring it in so he could take a look. So we took it in and he admitted that it needed doing and after a bit of Argy Bargy we took it in within a few weeks. He did say that the front panel was perfectly ok and didn’t need any work doing on it..
I asked him what exact they were going to do and this is what he told me....
Previously they would prepaired the area under the rubber seal then respray it in the original colour.....But he said this had not cured the problem so what VW had instructed Now was to take all the paint off under the seal down to the bare Aluminium, then treat the metal with some concoction that VW had provided then they would replace with a new seal but this time it is STUCK in position and cannot be removed like previously..... That is Exactly what they did with mine.....And we we NEVER told about any recalls.....

Thanks you all for your messages.

It’s strange that she said that “all t5 & t6 are down for being recalled” it’s so frustrating, because I had a transporter combi before that I was going to get converted with a plastic sca roof, the only reason this didn’t happen was because the conversion company let me down at the last minute despite me paying a deposit! So I ended up part exchanging the combi for the Cali which to me was a no brainier buying a factory built camper.

When I was researching about the Cali before pulling the trigger, one of the deciding factors was finding out that it had a metal roof, As apposed to having a plastic/ fibre glass one in a conversion lol!!

Listen to this.....When we were looking for a vehicle we saw that Sinclairs VW in Cardiff had one in the showroom. So of we went to have a look at it. My wife and I really liked it and we negotiated a cash price with the salesman. We said that we just wanted the weekend to think about it as they weren’t actually giving it away. So we discussed it Over the weekend and decided to go ahead. Monday morning I phoned them to say yes we wanted it and the manager told me the salesman had made a mistake and they couldn’t sell it for the price we negotiated.....As you can imagine we were livid so I wrote a “ Letter” to both the MD and CEO. Of Sinclairs. A few days later we were contacted and we ended up getting it for a better price than before because the bike rack they wanted £500 for we got free.....Also when I was looking over the van with a keen eye I noticed a tiny crease in the roof panel, I know now it was caused by the salesman trapping the canvas in the mechanism and kept quiet about it.....
So I said there was no damage to the canvas I said to them Just get the roof right and I will transfer the money..... The good bit is that they said the roof was made of fibreglass and you couldn’t straighten it.. No I said it Aluminium not fibreglass and the guy said to me if that roof is Aluminium I will give you my house!!!!!! Absolutely true. He went in the office and came out with a very very red face.... You are right he said it’s Aluminium......Needless to say he didn’t give me his house...But they did fix the roof with absolutely nothing showing.... This just goes to prove VW will hand their Dealerships to anyone......

Listen to this.....When we were looking for a vehicle we saw that Sinclairs VW in Cardiff had one in the showroom. So of we went to have a look at it. My wife and I really liked it and we negotiated a cash price with the salesman. We said that we just wanted the weekend to think about it as they weren’t actually giving it away. So we discussed it Over the weekend and decided to go ahead. Monday morning I phoned them to say yes we wanted it and the manager told me the salesman had made a mistake and they couldn’t sell it for the price we negotiated.....As you can imagine we were livid so I wrote a “ Letter” to both the MD and CEO. Of Sinclairs. A few days later we were contacted and we ended up getting it for a better price than before because the bike rack they wanted £500 for we got free.....Also when I was looking over the van with a keen eye I noticed a tiny crease in the roof panel, I know now it was caused by the salesman trapping the canvas in the mechanism and kept quiet about it.....
So I said there was no damage to the canvas I said to them Just get the roof right and I will transfer the money..... The good bit is that they said the roof was made of fibreglass and you couldn’t straighten it.. No I said it Aluminium not fibreglass and the guy said to me if that roof is Aluminium I will give you my house!!!!!! Absolutely true. He went in the office and came out with a very very red face.... You are right he said it’s Aluminium......Needless to say he didn’t give me his house...But they did fix the roof with absolutely nothing showing.... This just goes to prove VW will hand their Dealerships to anyone......
That’s why despite living 15 miles from Cardiff I travel 90 miles to a VW Dealership that knows about Californias.

Great Post

I’ve got an 18 Cali , would never have thought to check.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I have been a member on here since before owning my California, as I wanted to research them before for I made the decision and bought one.

So last July I traveled to Peterborough from Weymouth to look at a 2015 California which had 35k Miles, one owner with full Vw service history. So whist researching I read about the roof corrosion issue and that it was potentially only up to vehicles registered 2013 or older,

Whilst viewing the Cali in great detail, I popped the roof and looked around the front edge where the wind deflector is, which I was lead to believe the corrosion could potentially be. All was fine, so I looked around the rest of the roof, it actually looked new!

So, I did end up buying the Cali and I have been very happy with my purchase. Myself, my wife and two children have since been away whenever we can and have throughly enjoyed every minute of owning it.

So, as with all the vehicles I own and have owned, I like to keep all the servicing up together at the main dealer, especially with such a high valued vehicle like a Cali.

So, since owning it, it’s been into my local Vw garage for an oil chance, an mot and most recently a gear box oil change. So all of the times that it has been in nothing has ever been mentioned about the roof, until it’s most recent visit when it went in for it’s dsg gearbox oil change. So, when ringing up to book it in, the lady over the phone said “oh there’s a recall on your camper to check for roof corrosion” I said said “ ok no problem, I’m sure it’s ok as I checked before I bought it, but please feel free” she then said that the recall is in all t5 and t6 Cali’s and that there is a 6 month wait to rectify the corrosion that they are discovering! I asked her what was involved if they do find corrosion, and she said that they take the whole roof off and basically treat the corrosion and then repaint the whole roof! My thoughts were what have I got to worry about!’

So, while the van was at the garage I received a phone explaining that thy had discovered “extensive” corrosion. I was completely shocked to say the least, and asked where? And was informed that the corrosion is underneath the whole of the rubber seal In the underside of the roof!

They have assured me that the corrosion will be rectified in full at no cost, and that the Cali will be picked up in a low loader and a courtesy vehicle will also be supplied.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I wanted to make other Cali owners aware of this as I think perhaps it’s maybe being glossed over slightly, because if I wasn’t asked or told about the recall that’s apparently on all t5 and t6 Cali’s, I would have never known anything about it. Since it coming back, I have checked and still I can’t see this corrosion they talk about, although I have only pulled the seal down in a few areas, so I guess there could be if you pulled it all off. My point is, it still looks immaculate underneath the roof, and I am very fussy and particular.

I have read many posts on here and have yet to write or comment on any posts, but I just thought that other owners should know about this hence my post.

I know await to hear from them as to when they might come and take our pride and joy away, let’s hope it’s during the winter lol!!

Best wishes,

Luke
Hi Luke

Was it Heritage VW in Dorch that informed you? I bought a 2007 second hand T5 Cali from them a few years ago and the roof corrosion has just appeared quite badly but I haven’t heard from them and assumed it was too late to get is repaired. You have now given me hope!

Regards......Mike J

Not just the roof corrosion add the panel above the windscreen too and I hope if like us when they put the poly cap on it that they glue it properly and like us you won't get the water coming in!
Did have the plastic strip fitted under the roof rubber on last visit to dealer!