Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Corrosion - short summary

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Could some kind soul briefly outline the roof corrosion issues?

I began reading through the posts and very quickly felt my life starting to slip away.....

So, what is actually happening, why, what is the fix and is it likely to be sorted on the T6?

Brief bullet points.

Ta v much.
Pod.

I'm now 89 pages into that topic and it is mind-bendingly unbelievable. How one of the planet's most enormous and profitable vehicle manufacturers continues to allows such a situation to exist. Having read it thus far it has put me off ever buying a T5 let alone any VW and how people still continue to shell out fifty to sixty thousand pounds into VW's pockets and enter into such a situation is beyond me. I can only think that somehow most prospective purchasers are not aware and thus the residuals somehow hold up and make it viable.

To summarise:
  • If you buy a T5 the roof will rot. Maybe out of the showroom maybe a few years later.
  • You then face years of wait to get it fixed and lots of inconvenience when it eventually does happen.
  • The 'fix' (treating the symptoms rather than effecting a cure) may or may not last
  • The front panel 'rot' may be fixed on newer examples but the main roof still rots.
  • If you buy one older than 6 years then tough, VW will tell you to get stuffed and face the up to £4k bill yourself.
There is a report in the equivilent main German topic that even one of the show T6's had early signs of the roof rot.

The newer ones (post 2013/14) only have an issue around the edge under the rubber, it hardly causes any issues and is a relatively quick fix.

Any older than that and there was a problem with the front panel, this is a larger fix and can take many months to get sorted as the waiting list was huge, unlikely to be a concern on a new vehicle now.

Ok, keeping it simple. Is it simply a case of respraying a small part of the roof, something any body shop could do in half a day?

I take it it's caused by hot flying swarf when the roof is cut open?

Is it the main van roof or the pop top?

Pod.

It's the pop top aluminium roof.

In summary, if you're buying a T6 I wouldn't let it worry you at all.

The Roof is NOT cut open on the California. It is built without the standard roof.
The problem with the Elevating roof section is due to it being made of Aluminium and the rubber seal around its edge having a steel insert. If the 2 metals are not insulated from each other really well then in the presence of water you get Bi-Metalic corrosion. NOT RUST. This is more cosmetic than structural. The fix is to use a thicker Zinc based primer coat and is something any competent body shop can do.
The issue with the front, above windscreen, section is similar and was due to the Aluminium Alloy mix. Once again cosmetic rather than structural but VW are replacing this section hence the £4000 cost.
These problems with Bi-Metallic corrosion and Aluminium problems have been something Land Rover Defender owners have put up with since the original Series 1 in 1947 to the modern day.

I imagine that vw won't ever give a clear statement that they expect the t6 not to have the same problem, as to do so may open them up to claims from pre 2009 owners who are having to pay for their own 'fix'.

sidepod, if you're seriously contemplating a T5/T6 it is really important to read the whole topic - if you cannot bear it (believe me it is very hard going and takes hours of your time ;) ) then maybe wade in around p60 onwards. Some owners and (VW fan-boys) may try and gloss over the situation (dare I say a bit like a VW appointed body shop 'fix' on the roof) but the magnitude of the issue only comes to light if you read the whole topic and the hundreds of affected owners.

And I will apologise in advance for upsetting anyone, I'm not anti VW per se having owned three VW vans and one VW car in the past and I know some owners will disagree and VW can do no wrong but really the way buyers of £50k vehicles have been treated in this matter is simply incredible to behold.

Max-Felix, Welshgas,
My front roof panel is suffering from galvanic corrosion or Bi-metal corrosion. VW deemed that my vehicle did not come into the extended guarantee period to have it repaired. So me and several hundred California owners will have to pay up to have the repair done (£4,000 +) or take a hit when selling the vehicle. VW ARE NOT REPAIRING EVERY CALIFORNIA FREE OF CHARGE.

John

The roof corrosion thread could be halved in size by deleting all the posts from people who don't actually own a California but sit there saying they are not going to buy one because of the corrosion problems.

Prehaps VW should take lessons from Landrover, they are the experts in Bimetallic corrosion & have managed to build it into almost every model. On some models My new defender in 2010 for example to detract from the worry about the doors corroding & the rear door splitting under the weight of the spare wheel - they actually leave the rear main crossmember unpainted to give you only a 50/50 chance of passing an MOT.

My mate has just scrapped my old 2003 disco as the rear underfloor chassis rails had totally disintegrated that would be a 50K car new now, if the worst corrosion a 9 year old California has is a non structural roof panel that looks pretty good in comparison.

The mechanical problems seem fairly minor compared to BMW timing chain failures in 1 series cars, or Mazda diesels self destructing. Or what about Transit Dual mass flywheels - mine failed at 900 miles. Minis have timing chain failures & power steering failures. Mercedes have problems with the ADBlue technology

On the camper conversion side I would bet that every converter has similar problems its just that the sheer numbers of Californias out there makes it look like lots have problems. If a small producer has done say 100 vans & they all have problems it probably wouldn't show up on an internet search. If 10 cali have the same problem it gets posted on here as a major problem.

If this forum didn't exist very few people would know about the problems & as others have said people come on here to say whats gone wrong.

Hi - thanks for the update - i have just ordered T6 Beach and hoping that the roof problem has been resolved. Wise words from Andy thanks

The roof corrosion thread could be halved in size by deleting all the posts from people who don't actually own a California but sit there saying they are not going to buy one because of the corrosion problems.

Prehaps VW should take lessons from Landrover, they are the experts in Bimetallic corrosion & have managed to build it into almost every model. On some models My new defender in 2010 for example to detract from the worry about the doors corroding & the rear door splitting under the weight of the spare wheel - they actually leave the rear main crossmember unpainted to give you only a 50/50 chance of passing an MOT.

My mate has just scrapped my old 2003 disco as the rear underfloor chassis rails had totally disintegrated that would be a 50K car new now, if the worst corrosion a 9 year old California has is a non structural roof panel that looks pretty good in comparison.

The mechanical problems seem fairly minor compared to BMW timing chain failures in 1 series cars, or Mazda diesels self destructing. Or what about Transit Dual mass flywheels - mine failed at 900 miles. Minis have timing chain failures & power steering failures. Mercedes have problems with the ADBlue technology

On the camper conversion side I would bet that every converter has similar problems its just that the sheer numbers of Californias out there makes it look like lots have problems. If a small producer has done say 100 vans & they all have problems it probably wouldn't show up on an internet search. If 10 cali have the same problem it gets posted on here as a major problem.

If this forum didn't exist very few people would know about the problems & as others have said people come on here to say whats gone wrong.

Well said Andy,

If it's any help our 180 4Motion is currently with Shorade having the front panel fixed under warranty.
We waited 18 months from the first warranty claim for this to happen and hopefully it will be back with us soon after two weeks in Cannock.
VW provide a Cali as a replacement vehicle with it's own insurance, in our case a 180 Bluemotion DSG with only 200 miles on the clock.
I have to say this is much better put together than our 2012 version, with no rattles at all and the DSG is very smooth. However it seems incredibly thirsty even in the Bluemotion flavour and this has put us off changing to a DSG, certainly for the moment.

It will be thirsty with just 200 miles on the clock, MPG will improve as the engine is run in.
I have been running both the DSG and manual 180's and the difference in MPG is minimal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any engine need a good few miles under their belt before mpg settles down, 5,000 + at least.
After 18,000 miles my 180 DSG is now consistently returning 31 mpg locally and 33+ mpg on long runs and I'm afraid I am Not what would class as an economical driver. Air Con on all the time and keeping up with the flow of traffic . I'm sure I could mange more if I really really tried but life is too short so I just enjoy it.:thumb

Back