Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof code 1000

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs

Control Panel On

Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.

New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.

If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.

Return to Main Menu.

Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.

Try Roof/Heater or Fridge
Welsh Gas. You say reset/clear. But which buttons?

Thanks

Welsh Gas. You say reset/clear. But which buttons?

Thanks
It’s a while since I have done this but I think when you’re in the diagnostic menu and you scroll with wheel that one of the options is ‘clear’. You press the button to do it I think.

One of the problems is that code 1000 isn’t that helpful as we seem to think it means ‘roof fault’. That’s not very specific. There’s often a discussion about what it exactly refers to. I think I had a code that referred to power problems because the batteries were disconnected for sensor swap. I cleared it and charged the van for an hour. If the clock didn’t need resetting on panel I wonder if the batteries weren’t disconnected when the sensors were swapped and if that blew a fuse or damaged a sensor. These are just vague guesses on my part.

Last edited:
6029E4A8-64D7-427C-8E9D-F7A4A645371F.jpeg
Actually I think you press bottom right button for 5s

Thanks guys. I found this code in VW diags - code 1000

Ram sensors. I thought it was the control panel

PS my screen on ctrl panel is blurred on bottom right. Thx for clarifying it Lambeth

Now I've solved the problem on the roof fault. Firstly I had to manually power up the hydraulic pump through the two pin connector block near the motor. This let me raise the roof safely without damage.
Which then allowed me to insect the four magnetic sensors on the hydraulic rams. Two had shown previous signs of repair so I decided to replace them all. The part was only available as a complete loom from the dealer(not cheap). Decided to cut the 4 four sensors out and connect them the the vehicle loom making good the insulation.
The fault code erased immediately and full function was restored.

View attachment 72878
Same fault here on our 2014 cali. Roof won't go up. Fault 1000.
Frustratingly after a reset it shows the roof as down until ignition is on, then roof up flashing starts.

Is there any instruction anywhere about how to get to the point as in pic above of actually accessing the connector block for the motor? I've taken out as much trim as it's obvious how to remove, and I'm a little wary of breaking anything by trying to force the wrong thing! Don't want my efforts to do a cheap fix with the sensor replacement to result in me causing more damage by cutting out that foam and slicing through something else!

Same fault here on our 2014 cali. Roof won't go up. Fault 1000.
Frustratingly after a reset it shows the roof as down until ignition is on, then roof up flashing starts.

Is there any instruction anywhere about how to get to the point as in pic above of actually accessing the connector block for the motor? I've taken out as much trim as it's obvious how to remove, and I'm a little wary of breaking anything by trying to force the wrong thing! Don't want my efforts to do a cheap fix with the sensor replacement to result in me causing more damage by cutting out that foam and slicing through something else!
This might help.

This might help.
Sadly this appears to be taking out the whole cab headliner, and that's something I'm going to try and avoid. Looks like a bigger job than I've got the appetite or space for.

@macmyboy seems to have managed to get in there without removing the headliner, and got the foam out somehow... the retaining plate for that foam looks to be bolted *under* the headliner though so not clear how that worked!

At this point I'm thinking about just taking it to VW and chucking money at the issue to make it go away!

I am sure I have seen pictures of the units out with the headliner still in place - it might mean destroying the foam but maybe someone that has done it can comment.

Taking the headliner doesn't seem that much of a job to be fair, but you will need a set of trim removal tools (ebay etc, 10 quid) . I haven't removed the roof trim but I have done both the sliding door and the tailgate trims , it is entirely possible that you would do a better and cleaner job than a factory mechanic!

Some more pics here of what is underneath.

load of pictures here down the page where the motor is removed via the cubby hole.

I guess you then need to find out where to stick 12v to make it operate

Back