Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bed

T

TheWylieFox

VIP Member
About to buy a New Califonia SE & i have a few questions reguarding the Roof pop up bed

My wife and I , 14stone & 9stone (p.s.) Im 14st, are wondering if the roof bed would be suitable for us to use on a permanent basic.
We intend to tour France and Italy and hope to keep the main downstairs cabin free for seating and not use the rock & roll bed ?.
Secondly do i really need to but a roof pop-up waterproof topper?

regrads

TheWylieFox

Bed will be fine we use ours all the time and are similar weights to you.
You don't have to use a topper but it gives us peace of mind in bad weather and keeps the van warmer in cold weather. There is a potential for water ingress otherwise

Ditto re the bed. Re the topper, we've been fine without for our 4 years of ownership. With a big duvet in winter we've camped in snow and been fine. You do need to avoid touching the canvas though as it gets damp. Of course a topper addresses that issue. Also no way would we think of using a topper in decent weather as its so delightful to have the windows open. I think it's really a personal choice - we are I guess quite hardy. Oh and we have just bought one, but we'll only use it in rotten weather :) we certainly wouldn't be taking it to France/Italy except in the winter

The wife and myself are both heavier than you both, and have had no problems it is the best place to sleep. We do use a Cali topper if rain or dew is likely, a small amount of hassle but it beats letting in the rain or more importantly putting a wet roof down, and for winter months a little warmer to.

Back