Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof adjustment. Not square at front

Interesting. Louis II. Do you know What does it actually do? Any particular way to move it forward? Back? Any how can you tell it’s working? Sorry for questions. Will certainly look tomorrow when wind falls a bit!

I'm not 100% sure i'm afraid. My issue was the roof not coming down far enough at the back corner. I just carefully marked the original position and moved it in small increments of a few mm at a time then checked the effect and repositioned accordingly until I was happy with how the roof closed.
Might not help with your issue but worth checking as it's probably less risky than removing / loosening the scissor mechanism.

Interesting. Louis II. Do you know What does it actually do? Any particular way to move it forward? Back? Any how can you tell it’s working? Sorry for questions. Will certainly look tomorrow when wind falls a bit!
Re all the above advice and seeking professional help but could you not come at the problem by spacing the awning bracket away from the fixing point to allow the roof the close.
The roof clearly adjusts the alignment as it does the final pull down and lock into the closed position. The misalignment appears not to have caused issues until the awning fitting with the bracket getting in the way before the roof can seat in the roof frame bringing it into alignment.
With correct length bolts and washers or nuts as spacers this may give you the clearance needed for the roof to reach the frame and align correctly?

Just as a follow up the attached image shows a Thule awning bracket. I assume the radius circled helps guide the roof past the bracket and deals with any misalignment. Are the Fiamma brackets significantly different?

8DD3E6EC-BADB-4EE5-9F78-914D062FA043.jpeg

Hi resfeber
the fiamma bracket is very similar. See attached in silver. I must admit the bracket was a very good fit, followed the contours of the bodywork and the gutter. I did take a picture. It’s very similar to yours but it seems my roof is ever so slightly closer to rail gutter and as such hits the edge a little more. We are talking about tiny differences from what I can see. I have a feeling I will end up at vwvan centre

E757AED8-97C8-4AFC-8F65-6CCE1C2E943F.jpeg

Hi resfeber
the fiamma bracket is very similar. See attached in silver. I must admit the bracket was a very good fit, followed the contours of the bodywork and the gutter. I did take a picture. It’s very similar to yours but it seems my roof is ever so slightly closer to rail gutter and as such hits the edge a little more. We are talking about tiny differences from what I can see. I have a feeling I will end up at vwvan centre

View attachment 84858
Everything does seem to point to the roof alignment being just far enough out that the roof weight and force from the ram in the final few cm is insufficient to guide it along the profile of the bracket.
Have you tried a silicon lubricant suitable for rubber on the seal where it passes the bracket profile.
Even on my roof where the alignment looks spot on the, the rubber on the roof seal is indented/permanently compressed at the bracket due to the tight fit

My reasoning is because I experienced something similar when it tried to leave a duvet (quite thin) on the bed and shut the roof.
The control panel showed the roof fully closed as indicated by the Hall effect sensors on the rams but the front edge of the roof was still open about 1 cm.

Concerned I had stressed the scissor mechanism or bent the roof, I quickly opened, removed duvet and had a through visual check, measure all round and test open an close (I hasten to add never to be repeated with a duvet)
No harm done but does indicate the flex/alignment variations in the roof structure

well…..I decided trying man handle and adjust the roof on my drive was not a wise thing. Ended up using vW van centre Robinsons at Norwich. They were able to adjust and square up the roof brilliantly and now everything fits. Great friendly service by the service guys. Looks like they adjusted were the scissors attach to the upper roof. Took them about 30 mins. Very pleased

Back