Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roller Shutter in roof hatch

O

Orchy

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi - our new California Ocean is with us. Just a shame we can't use it yet.
We're having difficulty opening the roller shutter and wonder if anyone else has had this issue and how they might have resolved it.
It takes both of us to eventually manage to get it to move - impossible with one of us.
Thanks

We got our Ocean last November and had the same problem. Got round it by raising the roof slightly before opening the hatch. Looks like the bellows put a bit of pressure on the hatch when the roof is down.

We're having difficulty opening the roller shutter and wonder if anyone else has had this issue and how they might have resolved it.
It takes both of us to eventually manage to get it to move - impossible with one of us.
Thanks
There are several things with the Cali that I’ve found that a bit of silicon spray sorts out and this sounds like one :)

Thanks
Yes, it was very tight when we picked up our van (there’s no much space above for the bellows to fold into). We sprayed with silicon spray and it’s much easier but still a little tight. When you lower the roof, it helps if you ‘arrange’ the bellows as they fold into the space. Also if you have the storage net option, make sure it’s at the rear of the hatch when closing the roof.

Whatever you do, don't spray silicone in the tracks.

Better left being a bit stiff, or if something is obstructing it, you'll
have to find out what it is.

If you partly push the roof bed up you can pull out the shutter and see
if there is a problem there.

Why do you say don’t use silicon spray Westfalia?
We’ve used it with no problems. Also on sliding kitchen cupboards.

Problem may simply be that the Dealer Staff didn't take care to ensure that the canvas was correctly folded when closing the roof. Always best to check twice, once at the auto stop point and again stop the closing for a second look when about 6" open..

As above raising slightly should enable the hatch to open.

Yes, it was very tight when we picked up our van (there’s no much space above for the bellows to fold into). We sprayed with silicon spray and it’s much easier but still a little tight. When you lower the roof, it helps if you ‘arrange’ the bellows as they fold into the space. Also if you have the storage net option, make sure it’s at the rear of the hatch when closing the roof.
Even tighter for space once you’ve fitted an Isotop!
As GG said, arrange as you lower, to keep the bellows clear of the runners

Thanks
Ours is over 2 years old and still extremely stiff, not aided by the addition of the Isotop.
We keep hoping it will ease but hasn’t yet!

Why do you say don’t use silicon spray Westfalia?
We’ve used it with no problems. Also on sliding kitchen cupboards.
I once sprayed one of the pull down blind tracks with it, as it
was a bit stiff.
Sorted the ease of sliding no end, but then the blind didn't want
to stay down, took ages for the silicone to evaporate, years, in fact.

The roof overhead shutter has always a tendency to open ever so slightly, so i
would think that once it has been siliconed it will open up much further.

If you spray silicone in the tracks you'll possibly never get the shutter to stay shut in future. It will just slide open all the time leading to increased cab noise over your head.

Hi all, My Roller shutter would open whilst driving and it used to drive me crazy in the end I had to glue some velcro pads to stop it all is fine now:)

It reads like the T6.1 with the Panoramic roof option has solved a problem members have been complaining about for years... the roof panel used to slide open all the time, less so if you had an ISOTOP or Cali Cozy. And now people have the opposite problem even before fitting the liners...

Last edited:
It's recommended that you remove the front panel of the Isotop before closing. I remove mine and spread it over the bed which does help opening/closing the shutter.

It's recommended that you remove the front panel of the Isotop before closing. I remove mine and spread it over the bed which does help opening/closing the shutter.
I have left mine in,rolled it down it does close but like others have said you just need to fold it very neatly and carefully close the shutter

When we took delivery of our new Ocean (2019 / 150 T6 with "panoramic" front bellows panel) the roof shutter was very difficult to open. So a little gentle persuasion was called for and we found the bellows were not at all well folded and that the bellows fabric was being rubbed by the roof shutter in a very rough way. (not good for the fabric or stitching).
Solution? A wipe of the tracks with some candle wax and an ordered folding regime of the bellows solved the problem. Now easy to open and close the roof shutter and no unplanned opening during driving.
(I never use silicon on any of the surfaces in the Cali as there is almost no way back if the result is nor what you required. It also collects dirt and debris.)
I hope this post may be of some use.

When we took delivery of our new Ocean (2019 / 150 T6 with "panoramic" front bellows panel) the roof shutter was very difficult to open. So a little gentle persuasion was called for and we found the bellows were not at all well folded and that the bellows fabric was being rubbed by the roof shutter in a very rough way. (not good for the fabric or stitching).
Solution? A wipe of the tracks with some candle wax and an ordered folding regime of the bellows solved the problem. Now easy to open and close the roof shutter and no unplanned opening during driving.
(I never use silicon on any of the surfaces in the Cali as there is almost no way back if the result is nor what you required. It also collects dirt and debris.)
I hope this post may be of some use.
Instead of spray silicon use this dry PTFE spray ... Great on the side door rails as well!
Cheapest from Screwfix :)

The latest bellows need to be folded carefully, there is not much room to close the hatch.
Pop the roof and see if hatch is still stiff? If so it is probably catching somewhere under the bed, if not, lower roof and fold bellows carefully, pull the weighted bit up and towards you as the roof comes down.

Hi folks - thanks for all your advice.
On closer inspection I found that where the housing for the shutter joins above the control panel, the gap which the blind slides into was pinched by the joining pieces of plastic. I trimmed these with a blade, siliconed the tracks and the shutter blind now opens fairly easily.
It has stayed closed so far when driving.