Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rodent damage

danvan

danvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
I know there are plenty of forum posts on this, but thought I'd share my experience. Van has been parked up for about 6 weeks on the road outside our house. I started it up yesterday and the engine warning light and glow plug light were flashing constantly. It's been in the local VW independent garage today and some wires under the van have been chewed through by rodents. Apparently a relatively straightforward repair for £100.

Being parked out on the road, there isn't a huge amount I can do. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I know some people have used a variety of deterrents, but none would work for us because we have no garage or drive etc.

I know there are plenty of forum posts on this, but thought I'd share my experience. Van has been parked up for about 6 weeks on the road outside our house. I started it up yesterday and the engine warning light and glow plug light were flashing constantly. It's been in the local VW independent garage today and some wires under the van have been chewed through by rodents. Apparently a relatively straightforward repair for £100.

Being parked out on the road, there isn't a huge amount I can do. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I know some people have used a variety of deterrents, but none would work for us because we have no garage or drive etc.
Maybe some rodent deterrent lacquer or tape?

Someone was telling me there have been increased numbers of rats coming into peoples homes - roof spaces and wall cavities looking for food since lockdown due to lack of food from bins around restaurants so guess our vans are nice and tasty.

Quick update on this. I spoke to a neighbour earlier who was just arriving home from the Ford garage after having chewed wiring under his van repaired (same issue as me, dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree). He and Ford suspect it’s down to a fox. And we have had a fox prowling the street for the last few weeks. Apparently it’s the smell of the wiring they like, Ford suggested Vaseline on the wires. I also gather foxes have been causing havoc with the wiring under the new London taxis.

Quick update on this. I spoke to a neighbour earlier who was just arriving home from the Ford garage after having chewed wiring under his van repaired (same issue as me, dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree). He and Ford suspect it’s down to a fox. And we have had a fox prowling the street for the last few weeks. Apparently it’s the smell of the wiring they like, Ford suggested Vaseline on the wires. I also gather foxes have been causing havoc with the wiring under the new London taxis.
I understand that new cables are manufactured with ‘green’ sheathing i.e. plant based, rather than old style plastics?
Law of unforeseen consequences. Question is, are these new cables fit for purpose and do manufacturers have a liability since it’s now a known problem? Some repairs have been very expensive.

Hot Chilli paste on the wiring is meant to work well!

If the van is going to be parked up for a while, get some loo blocks and hang a few underneath the van with some garden wire. Should deter the vermin.

I have lights, toilet blocks and ultrasonics after some very expensive damage to my car from rats, mice or squirrels but if I had a problem with foxes I’d create a physical detergent from a simple timber frame that I could slide under the van. I would fix wire mesh over it as an extra deterrent and would need to put some sort of reminder over the steering wheel so I didn’t drive off over it!

I have lights, toilet blocks and ultrasonics after some very expensive damage to my car from rats, mice or squirrels but if I had a problem with foxes I’d create a physical detergent from a simple timber frame that I could slide under the van. I would fix wire mesh over it as an extra deterrent and would need to put some sort of reminder over the steering wheel so I didn’t drive off over it!
Do the lights, toilet blocks and ultrasonics work? Just had our first mouse (we assume) move into the van. Gutted.

After I had the rodent damage I make sure I always leave the van with the front wheels straight as when on lock it provides a easier route from the wheel / tyres to the inner wheel arch and engine bay.

Hot Chilli paste on the wiring is meant to work well!
I wouldn't bother - some years ago my partner dried out some Chilli in the airing cupboard for a craft project. Anyway when she came to retrieve them they and the plastic case they were stored in were eaten by mice !

Do the lights, toilet blocks and ultrasonics work? Just had our first mouse (we assume) move into the van. Gutted.
Toilet blocks were a bit of a near disaster as some alloy parts of the engine reacted strongly, by corroding, to them. Fortunately spotted it before it did any lasting damage. Now we have chasing lights (on all night) running along the fence in front of the cars. My idea is that the constantly moving lights will deter more than a light that is permanently on. We also have a powerful ultrasonic device and a mouse trap in an inverted galvanised bucket. So far we have caught quite a few mice near the house but only one near the cars so it’s hopefully doing something. It’s very difficult to guarantee anything is rodent proof but so far so good.

Which routes do you think mice can get into the cabin? Under the bonnet it's easy and common, but are there any holes in the cabin?

Which routes do you think mice can get into the cabin? Under the bonnet it's easy and common, but are there any holes in the cabin?
I think where the water drains from the tank, but I haven't any
pictures yet.

Thank you, but do you mean fresh water or gray water?

I've had rodent damage three times now....:mad: it's very tiresome and very expensive!! The first two occasions resulted in the AdBlu sensors and oil temp sensors being chewed right at the join of the cables to the sensors, which meant that the cable couldn't be repaired, so I needed new sensors both times. The third time it/they 'only' chewed through cable so a cable repair fixed it. So far it's cost me about £700.

When the VW Assist guy came out for the second time, he said he'd already had three call-outs that week for the same problem (to both VW's and Audi's) and commented on the new cables being soy based so more 'tasty' to rodents. Not suprisingly VW are choosing the 'no comment' stance, and refuse to acknowledge any form of responsibility.

My neighbour has a VW T6 transporter, and he had his van chewed at the same time, the 'rodent' clearly was making his way down the street! We discussed various deterrent options ranging from automatic sub-machine guns (only joking... :) ) to sonar repellant boxes. In the end my neighbour bought some anti-rodent tape from Amazon, wrapping it around all his cables. I went for the super heavy duty tin-foil, folded over about 4 times, wrapped around all the cables and then put cable ties around the foil every inch or so, with the tie ends cut off at an angle.

Almost 8 months on, so far so good, to both solutions. At the end of the day, whether on your drive or camping, rodents are everywhere. Urban foxes, mice, the lot. I don't think it actually makes any difference where you may be parked up, sadly....

I have obtained the services of a local rat catcher to watch over my vehicles at night. There are two of them and they take it in turns.
View attachment 87639View attachment 87640
We use Mad Max.
Relaxes during the day and out all night, presenting us with his little presents in the morning. When we first got him it was every 2-3 days, now it’s down to once a fortnight.

821D7B5B-4536-4D3D-A47D-46BF535B8396.jpeg

We use Mad Max.
Relaxes during the day and out all night, presenting us with his little presents in the morning. When we first got him it was every 2-3 days, now it’s down to once a fortnight.

View attachment 87642
Butter wouldn’t melt !

we live in a semi rural location my cat catches an amazing amount of rodents year round. (less in winter as the fire has the same effect as it does on Max in that picture)
The poor owls must be starving

Back