Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rodent attack repairs

This is funny guys, cable covering that’s more environmental friendly is apparently very tasty, obviously no one anticipated the law of unintended consequences...

My T4 Westy is getting more valuable as modern versions suffer from modernism, I have a rat problem with my van, there’s a rat that likes to live on top of the battery leaving crap everywhere, but! he’s a benign guest and never eats anything including the provided rat poison, trying chili powder.
I had considered using this tape but didn’t like the thought of working under a jacked up van

I had considered using this tape but didn’t like the thought of working under a jacked up van
Get or Hire some heavy duty Car Ramps.

I bought the anti rodent tape but it’s very difficult to wrap round a lot of the vulnerable wiring as most of it is clipped and fitted so tightly.

I too suffered a rodent attack in the spring. Grey Squirrels in my case. This was repaired by my local garage at minimal cost as they were able to repair three chewed cables and only needed to replace one sensor.
My first deterrent was a metal grid connected to an electric fence kit. This worked well but was a bit of a fag charging the battery. The permanent (I hope) solution was a piece of heavy duty plastic sheeting wrapped around the vulnerable low- hanging loops of cable, attached with cable ties using an existing hole in the chassis and with a new hole made through the alloy heat shield ( see the pics), with wide split flexible cable trunking on the other bits. All liberally sprayed with Waxoil.
There is just room to work safely under the van if the front wheels are driven on to a high kerb.
If you don’t have suitable plastic sheet, a piece of ally would work well.BFB77B3F-3D52-4FC0-930E-BB5940BE721D.jpeg3A12969F-F82A-48E9-AD2A-903BD90E26E4.jpeg

I’m another one who’s suffered. I think it’s foxes in our case but can’t be sure. Adblue warning came on and cost loads to fix. I’ve included a pic that someone else put in previously which is what I think I’d go for if it happens again. SMG Tonbridge used a heavy duty tin foil wrap after they replaced the sensor. D25F58CF-B309-4D6E-A7B7-CF425A4392EE.jpeg1E025825-83C0-4A82-987E-C1EFB7683B05.jpeg2A835958-9FEC-4075-B798-8F6AFD3BF0B1.jpegB0508724-D69A-4147-8874-483BF59D7B06.jpegD8EF3606-EB3E-47AC-8158-E2383A612122.jpegI then wrapped that in the anti rodent tape. So far so good but don’t want to tempt fate.

Another sufferer. I've had three expensive replacements - 1 x AdBlue injector and 2 x Exhaust Sensors . £400+ a pop each time. SMG Tonbridge say they have wrapped and coated after my latest incident to deter further gnawing. Hope it works!

Anyone had a go at VW Customer Service on this issue? Feels to me like a systemic problem... :mad: No problems with our other two cars (or any previous vehicles)

Another sufferer. I've had three expensive replacements - 1 x AdBlue injector and 2 x Exhaust Sensors . £400+ a pop each time. SMG Tonbridge say they have wrapped and coated after my latest incident to deter further gnawing. Hope it works!

Anyone had a go at VW Customer Service on this issue? Feels to me like a systemic problem... :mad: No problems with our other two cars (or any previous vehicles)
I think you’d be right to ask VW Customer Services the question. There seem to be so many cases on this forum that it’s clear that the new environmentally friendly cable sheathing is really not fit for purpose. VW must surely take some responsibility on this matter.
Fortunately I have not suffered an attack yet and have sprayed all cables i can easily see/get to with anti-rodent lacquer, but can I ask - is there a pattern to which wires are vulnerable to attack? Mine’s a T6.1

No, but it's on my to do list.

Like others I've had no issues with other cars parked in the same place, including a T5 that was left untouched in it's 10 years here.

There is some mitigation in that the T6 has more sensors for adblue etc but given the damage is to a variety of cables the absence of some of them on a T5 doesn't explain the seemingly recent spate of damage.

Happy to join in with others if a group complaint is thought to be a better approach.

Could be that more Calis are sitting on driveways for longer periods this year giving the vermin more opportunity.
The garage that fixed my squirrel damage said that they have seen chewed Audis too. Same/similar components.

I think you’d be right to ask VW Customer Services the question. There seem to be so many cases on this forum that it’s clear that the new environmentally friendly cable sheathing is really not fit for purpose. VW must surely take some responsibility on this matter.
Fortunately I have not suffered an attack yet and have sprayed all cables i can easily see/get to with anti-rodent lacquer, but can I ask - is there a pattern to which wires are vulnerable to attack? Mine’s a T6.1
I've phoned VW Customer Service and have been allocated a case handler who is looking into our experience. He's has said that as the vehicle is out of warranty this limits what they can do ... . I'll let you know what VW say. He hopes to come back later next week.

Living in the Far East in the 1950s we were constantly intimidated by a wild dog pack at our house. I was 5 years old at the time so could have been considered "lunch". My father set up a "tasty" 240 volt 5 amp bone! After three nights no dogs ever came back, there were 3 less dogs. We were there for another 7 years!

Could be that more Calis are sitting on driveways for longer periods this year giving the vermin more opportunity.
I think foxes had mine.
I think it's a combination of factors. A lot more people are walking in the urban woodlands so perhaps pushing the wildlife out.
Also more people are at home and feeding foxes/rats etc

Prior to my very desirable (to foxes) T6 I had a T5 sitting in exactly the same space for four years without any problems.
I had wondered if the composition of the cabling wrap had changed between models but more likely is the fact the T5 was 4Mo but the T6 is not so much more room underneath. I have videos of a blighter standing upright with its head out of sight up amongst my expensive wiring.

Afternoon,

Just moved my van and checked underneath. Surprised to see the oil sensor hanging so low, the VW assist bloke who fitted it after the last fix attack said he had rerouted it higher than normal to help avoid future issues...

Could someone let me know if I'm just looking at a different connector? It looks the same to me. Is this the normal position or has it worked loose? It would be the first thing ripped off if I drove over a stray branch or obstruction on the road.

Also my parking heater doesn't seem to be working since the foxes had their fun. Any ideas where to look to check the wiring?

Thanks as ever.

Attachments

• 20210102_120820.jpg
    20210102_120820.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210102_114911.jpg
    20210102_114911.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 37
Could I advise that people have a look at post 18?

Mine was attacked three times in three weeks. @westfalia recommended a quite cheap device that I leave on my drive just in front of where I park and no problems since.

Could someone let me know if I'm just looking at a different connector? It looks the same to me. Is this the normal position or has it worked loose?

It looks as though the plastic press stud that should clip into a hole under the van to mount the sensor has become dislodged from the van but is still attached to the sensor. If the VW Assist man repositioned the sensor then that would explain why.
Maybe it would be worth replacing the sensor in the original position and protecting the cable in an outer plastic sheath to discourage the foxes.

I think foxes had mine.
I think it's a combination of factors. A lot more people are walking in the urban woodlands so perhaps pushing the wildlife out.
Also more people are at home and feeding foxes/rats etc
Why oh why would you put out food for rats to eat !

Why oh why would you put out food for rats to eat !
I have no idea! There was a full Christmas dinner out for them when I took the dog for a late walk on Xmas Day. I put it in the bin

I have no idea! There was a full Christmas dinner out for them when I took the dog for a late walk on Xmas Day. I put it in the bin
That was Granny’s dinner!!
She wasn’t allowed inside due to Covid rules. :)

Back