Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road Tax

So mine has now been re-registered as an M1 (Diesel Car) and remains a Private/Light Goods Vehicle (PLG) with a motor caravan body type.
Eurovans are kindly reimbursing the £80 fine for driving through the Rotherhithe Tunnel as a N1 (Van).

2 questions:
1. Can I drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? (Its still a goods vehicle more than 2 tonnes?)
2. Do I (now?) need to pay additional road tax because my new motorhome(?) cost more than £40,000?

View attachment 96236

I think you will need to email TfL to find out if you can drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel without being fined.

So mine has now been re-registered as an M1 (Diesel Car) and remains a Private/Light Goods Vehicle (PLG) with a motor caravan body type.
Eurovans are kindly reimbursing the £80 fine for driving through the Rotherhithe Tunnel as a N1 (Van).

2 questions:
1. Can I drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? (Its still a goods vehicle more than 2 tonnes?)
2. Do I (now?) need to pay additional road tax because my new motorhome(?) cost more than £40,000?

View attachment 96236
1. It's not a goods vehicle its a M1 diesel car. Ignore Private/Light Goods vehicle - that means its Private OR Light Goods Vehicle - in your case private.
2. The extra for £40k + Motor caravans was dropped before your van was registered.

Just watch out for roof racks, or loaded bike rack taking you over 2m tall.

Last edited:
1. It's not a goods vehicle its a M1 diesel car. Ignore Private/Light Goods vehicle - that means its Private OR Light Goods Vehicle - in your case private.
2. The extra for £40k + Motor caravans was dropped before your van was registered.

Just watch out for roof racks, or loaded bike rack taking you over 2m tall.
The physical height barriers at the Rotherhithe Tunnel are 4.4m, I guess to allow emergency vehicles >2m to pass. So that raises an interesting question which I do not know the answer.

The width limit of 2m for the Rotherhithe Tunnel does not include wing mirrors. Does the 2m height limit exclude extras on the roof, orange lights, aerials, roof racks, bikes, etc.?

The physical height barriers at the Rotherhithe Tunnel are 4.4m, I guess to allow emergency vehicles >2m to pass. So that raises an interesting question which I do not know the answer.

The width limit of 2m for the Rotherhithe Tunnel does not include wing mirrors. Does the 2m height limit exclude extras on the roof, orange lights, aerials, roof racks, bikes, etc.?
In theory I expect the limit includes extras. In practice the system must rely on the data behind the automatic number plate recognition?

Last edited:
I’m theory I expect the limit includes extras. In practice the system must rely on the data behind the automatic number plate recognition?
I've sent an enquiry to TfL.

=====

Enquiry type
General Enquiry
Your message
The vehicle height limit for the Rotherhithe Tunnel is 2m, however, the physical height barrier is 4.4m (14'9"). Is the 2m restriction for the vehicle only, or the vehicle and any roof load or rear rack load such as bicycles. For example, if my car is 1m 85cm high, can I travel through the tunnel with a roof box taking the overall height to 2m 25cm?

=====

In theory I expect the limit includes extras. In practice the system must rely on the data behind the automatic number plate recognition?

Reply from TfL:

=====

Thank you for contacting Transport for London (TfL).

The total height, including load, must not exceed the restriction of 2 metres.

Further information about the Rotherhithe Tunnel, and possible alternate routes for affected vehicles, is available on our website at tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/rotherhithe-tunnel-restrictions.

=====

Reply from TfL:

=====

Thank you for contacting Transport for London (TfL).

The total height, including load, must not exceed the restriction of 2 metres.

Further information about the Rotherhithe Tunnel, and possible alternate routes for affected vehicles, is available on our website at tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/rotherhithe-tunnel-restrictions.

=====
How did you contact TfL? There are plenty of options on their contact us page, but none seem to relate to road restrictions, or the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
I've sent a query via the congestion change link to ask whether I can drive my M1 Cali through the RH Tunnel, but there might be a better address...

How did you contact TfL? There are plenty of options on their contact us page, but none seem to relate to road restrictions, or the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
I've sent a query via the congestion change link to ask whether I can drive my M1 Cali through the RH Tunnel, but there might be a better address...
cclondon@cclondon.com

Just checked mine

M1
PLG
DVLA website says road tax is £295 - though this goes up on 1 April 23 by 10.1%, so £325?
dealer invoice for first year road tax: £295

Last edited:
Back