Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road Tax

Should just be the £295
If you have the V5 you can check on line your specific tax rate.

Crikey this is confusing I have a 2019 California Ocean and I just got the road tax reminder for £520 is that ludicrous sum correct?

Crikey this is confusing I have a 2019 California Ocean and I just got the road tax reminder for £520 is that ludicrous sum correct?
Unfortunately, Yes.

Has anyone ever managed to have their V5 details changed by DVLA? (I mean California’s only)…… it does seem quite unfair that if the dealer registers the vehicle in the wrong category the mistake has to continue being paid for. Mine is July 20 and yes I am paying £520 when clearly many people with 2020 California’s are not :oops:

They are all PLG , Motor Caravans once the rules changed its the N1 / M1 which is an anomaly. From the T6.1 range other vehicles include :
Caravelle - M1
Kombi - M1
pick up - N1
Panel van -N1

There is absolutely no reason for a Cali to be N1

Anyone else out there with an N1 cali?
My V5C is blank where it should show N1/M1. It does say PLG though so that is where I was found in contravention of the Rotherhithe restriction

Has anyone ever managed to have their V5 details changed by DVLA? (I mean California’s only)…… it does seem quite unfair that if the dealer registers the vehicle in the wrong category the mistake has to continue being paid for. Mine is July 20 and yes I am paying £520 when clearly many people with 2020 California’s are not :oops:
I’m afraid you pay the Road Tax dependant on the rules in force at the time of registration. At least yours will go down once the Luxury Car Tax element is paid off in 2024.
Mine won’t. It will only go up each year. £345 last renewal.

My V5C is blank where it should show N1/M1. It does say PLG though so that is where I was found in contravention of the Rotherhithe restriction
PLG doesn’t mean goods though - according to .gov site it stands for Private OR light goods - up till about 2000 all cars were taxed as PLG as were all light vans.
Probably too late but I would have thought it wouldn’t take too much to get a VW dealer to provide written confirmation that your Cali is not a goods vehicle.

Thank you, Tim. Out of interest, and so far as you are aware, is Rotherhithe tunnel a rare case or are there many places with N1 restriction? I don't recall ever seeing them (though probably will, now you have alerted me).

So, is it the general consensus that a new Ocean delivered this year, subject to any future change in legislation: will probably be classed as 'N1 Private/Light Goods Class (PLG)' and pay £295 at current rates); but (at the whim of DVLA) might in the alternative be classed 'M1 Diesel Car' and pay £520 for 5 years and then £100-200 thereafter?
There's a whole discussion about (not) going through the Rotherhithe tunnel elsewhere on this forum - vans not allowed for the last two or three years - weight restriction to preserve the historic tunnel.

Here?

That's the one, yes

£60-£70k on a camper and an extra couple of hundred a year on road tax. Suck it up, it’s all worth it

Ours is still registered as Z1 - no explanation as to why and we have asked - registered January 2021 with a 20 plate. We pay the £295 road tax. Anyone else have Z1?

All above depressingly familiar. My grand California 680...all 6.8 meters and 3.4 tonnes unladen...was registered by the manufactures auto reg system in March 2020. As a result is registered as an MPV, diesel car. No appeal to DVLA logic will change this. So 520 quid a year (till 2026) road fund for me. Had it been registered in April 2020 it would be registered as PHG and motorcaravan with a road fund fee of 160 quid a year.

Yeah, it's just plain weird....... some Cali's are classed as MPV's (yours and mine!) and some are classed as motorhomes which DON'T suffer the luxury car tax..... but it's the same bl@#dy vehicleo_O
My California Ocean is classified as, body type motor caravan and taxation class diesel car. Assume motor caravan is what is generally referred to as a motor home but I’m taxed under the luxury car tax regime.

My California Ocean is classified as, body type motor caravan and taxation class diesel car. Assume motor caravan is what is generally referred to as a motor home but I’m taxed under the luxury car tax regime.
All depends on the DVLA rules at the time of 1st Registration. No changes in tax rates are retrospective, unless an actual mistake has been made by the Dealership and even then there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

All depends on the DVLA rules at the time of 1st Registration. No changes in tax rates are retrospective, unless an actual mistake has been made by the Dealership and even then there are a lot of hoops to jump through.
Should

Should not have used ‘but’ in my comment. An ‘and’ would have been better as it seems to me it’s all correct on my V5C and I was aware of tax when I bought it second hand. I have just paid my last luxury car supplement.

Should just be the £295
If you have the V5 you can check on line your specific tax rate.
Just checked and its definitely £295 next year which was a nice surprise. I was expecting the >40k supplement.

Last edited:
With all of the variable VED rates applied to Cali's to date it remains to be seen what further complications the Government can introduce after the current VED rate review to compensate for EV revenue loss.

That is the Body Type. The important bit for Road Tax is M1 or N1, Diesel Car or Private Light Goods PLG.
They are all PLG , Motor Caravans once the rules changed its the N1
So mine has now been re-registered as an M1 (Diesel Car) and remains a Private/Light Goods Vehicle (PLG) with a motor caravan body type.
Eurovans are kindly reimbursing the £80 fine for driving through the Rotherhithe Tunnel as a N1 (Van).

2 questions:
1. Can I drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? (Its still a goods vehicle more than 2 tonnes?)
2. Do I (now?) need to pay additional road tax because my new motorhome(?) cost more than £40,000?

New V5C.jpg

What doesn’t seem to make sense is some people appear to have M1 or N1 etc on their V5C but others don’t, eg @66tim99 so how do you know what’s been registered in those cases?
Mine wasn't registered in any 'vehicle category', just left blank. There seems to have been an assumption it was N1 (van) when I drove through Rotherhithe Tunnel, and indeed it was (and remains) a Private Light Goods Vehicle. So I'm trying to work out if it is therefore a goods vehicle banned from the tunnel.

So mine has now been re-registered as an M1 (Diesel Car) and remains a Private/Light Goods Vehicle (PLG) with a motor caravan body type.
Eurovans are kindly reimbursing the £80 fine for driving through the Rotherhithe Tunnel as a N1 (Van).

2 questions:
1. Can I drive through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? (Its still a goods vehicle more than 2 tonnes?)
2. Do I (now?) need to pay additional road tax because my new motorhome(?) cost more than £40,000?

View attachment 96236
I have answered my own Question 2. It seems I will not pay the £40k supplement, and will pay £295/pa. Where is this exemption explained? Eurovans said the £40k supplement applies to all ICE vehicles.
Road Tax.png

Back