Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road tax

When Osbourne announced the new surcharge in 2017, the government published a leaflet (I still have a copy) indicating that the VED rates and the surcharge would be static for the next 5 years.
But the DVLA still increased the charges during this time.
Yet the motoring organizations made little fuss about it.
Now, as car prices are increased by the manufacturers, more vehicles will fall int the over-£40K price bracket, and the government have ensured that this will happen by making the surcharge mandatory at the RRP of the vehicle - ie., any reduction offers by manufacturers or garages who lower the price below £40K will not allow avoidance of the surcharge.

For the future, the government are already concerned over the potential loss in revenue of VED due to the low rates that have been given to shift drivers into hybrid or EV’s. So, look out for more fiddles on the VED front as government take steps to avoid such a loss.

When Osbourne announced the new surcharge in 2017, the government published a leaflet (I still have a copy) indicating that the VED rates and the surcharge would be static for the next 5 years.
But the DVLA still increased the charges during this time.
Yet the motoring organizations made little fuss about it.
Now, as car prices are increased by the manufacturers, more vehicles will fall int the over-£40K price bracket, and the government have ensured that this will happen by making the surcharge mandatory at the RRP of the vehicle - ie., any reduction offers by manufacturers or garages who lower the price below £40K will not allow avoidance of the surcharge.

For the future, the government are already concerned over the potential loss in revenue of VED due to the low rates that have been given to shift drivers into hybrid or EV’s. So, look out for more fiddles on the VED front as government take steps to avoid such a loss.
Who cares. Money doesn't grow on trees. The Public elect the Government to act on its behalf. To collect taxes etc and spend the proceeds appropriately, on education, NHS, Defence, etc:etc. Doesn't matter which Political Party forms the Government they all do the same. So, it seems very fare that those who earn the most or pay the most pay the most in taxes.
If you don't want to pay the Luxury Car Tax, Don't buy a Luxury Car.
Personally, I don't see why new Campervans/Motorhomes pay lower VED, they should be treated the same as a car and taxed accordingly.

I agree, money doesn’t grow on trees, but successive governments have squandered vast amounts of public money, then raked it back in tax with an attitude that taxpayers’ money does grow on trees.
And, what is a luxury car? Many vehicles which some would claim to be “luxury cars” are purchased for practical uses, where a lower-priced vehicle would not meet the needs.
In a technologically developing world, it is difficult to separate the word “luxury” from natural progress. Where cars are concerned, the UK has trailed far behind in the realization that an ordinary working man should be equally entitled to owning a motorcar as are the landed gentry.
For people like ourselves, being of the camping fraternity, a Caravelle is the ideal choice for having an outfit that is still road safe when loaded and towing a caravan - how many outfits operate in a “tail wagging the dog” situation?
At least, I only need to run one vehicle to cover all our needs
When, for a short few years, we had a motorhome and I needed to run a small car for daily use, I soon realized how little actual time the motorhome spent parked up on the driveway. Now that was a luxury and we eventually went back to a caravan. Some years of pulling a ‘van with (in my case VW Tourans), I learned the need for special care when towing (even though the outfit was legal), and by discussions with others who towed with VW Caravelles or VW Transporter Kombis, or similar, I soon discovered the more relaxing environment of pulling with my Caravelle. Not a luxury vehicle - simply a case of “horses for courses”.

Just had my tax for July Expecting £565 bill but all previous comments and suppositions have just been proved wrong!
It proves on 5 anniversary the extra added on for cars over £40k does drop off.
my Tax bill for july includes the extra upto end oct then it drops to the £165 for year and this is done even though it was partially SORNED at one time. 5 year anniversary is Oct this year.
Happy Days

View attachment 94349
Can I just check do you mean that even though you sorned the vehicle the 5 year dates was still the same? So they didn’t extend the 5year period to account for sorn?

Can I just check do you mean that even though you sorned the vehicle the 5 year dates was still the same? So they didn’t extend the 5year period to account for sorn?
Sorn doesn't add to the 5 years.

Back