Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ridgemonkey’s new bbq/grill

Think this could be the next hot topic on the forum? Ridgemonkey’s new baby: a portable, folding, flat pack, stainless steel, multi fuel bbq/grill in a slim carry case. You can set it up for gas or solid fuels (thinking it’d make a nice little fire pit too).

https://ridgemonkey.co.uk/product/grilla-bbq

View attachment 70625

first impressions, agree I like this. Then, the practical side of cleaning - looks horrendously bitty to keep clean ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first impressions, agree I like this. Then, the practical side of cleaning - looks horrendously bitty to keep clean ?

Yes I agree especially if using it as a BBQ. A tin foil liner might save a lot of time when it comes to cleaning.

Do you have room Elly? ;)
Won’t be throwing out the Cobb and Kellie kettle out for it that’s for sure, Karlos. Got all excited at first, but don’t think it’s for me. I don’t want to be cooking over gas on a bbq.

Has anyone bought one of these? Found several campsites didn't want charcoal this year so this could be good to give the option.

Looks good but, no lid so… I’m out

Has anyone bought one of these? Found several campsites didn't want charcoal this year so this could be good to give the option.
I bought one that arrived damaged. Really sharp edges on folded metal legs and a bit of a faff to put together. Arranged for it to be collected but its still here in box.

I’ve got one. I like it, mainly because at packs away to a ridiculously small size. I am used to a gas bbq at home and I know others prefer charcoal but I like it. Flame heat is very controllable and gives instant heat. Using the optional griddle plate works well for a lot of cooking and is cleaner. Also works very well using the Ridgemonkey pans!

BCF028A6-DDCE-458E-9FAF-E17B52902719.jpeg

Thanks @GrahamB. A useful review. I’m wondering if there are any others out there with experience of using this product? We are thinking about it but overall the reviews in various places haven’t been overwhelming.

How do people find cleaning, reliability of ignition etc. Is the lack of lid an issue! How much gas do people find the long burner gets through?

Any user experiences much appreciated before we decide to take the plunge

If it helps, we returned from 2 week trip in August and it was used pretty much every day. Got through 2 cans of gas, but found a slight gas leak on the hose union near the controller. Ridgemonkey have said they will replace immediately, but haven't received it yet. Cleaning was straightforward enough, took it all apart and used stainless steel cleaner and very hot water. Its not back to shiny metal all over, but hey - its a bbq! Assuming they come through with a replacement burner unit, I am happy with the practicality and having it stowed in the underseat drawer all the time is convenient.

Many thanks @GrahamB thats very helpful. Be interesting to see how long the replacement part takes to arrive.

We have just returned from a five week trip and used our Ridge Monkey BBQ several times. We are really pleased with it so far, we've only used it with charcoal so far, which is how we prefer to BBQ. We will get around to using it as a gas BBQ at some point. We also have the griddle plate.

Many thanks @GrahamB thats very helpful. Be interesting to see how long the replacement part takes to arrive.
New burner assembly just turned up after a failed DPD delivery attempt first time around. I have to say Ridgemonkey customer service is excellent, I also had to get some replacement handles for the toaster (the locking pins broke) and they came straight back.

Just bought one, we love it allready. Much smaller packing size than the Cadac Safari Chef II it replaces but a (slightly) bigger cooking surface. We like the choice of using gas or firewood or charcoal as fuel and being able to use it as fire pit after dinner.

Back