Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Resistors added to airbag system

jliungman

jliungman

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi!

I have had persistent problems with the airbag warning light coming on. The (VW certified) garage has tried multiple fixes, each time claiming to have found the problem, then after a few km the light comes on again. Now they say they have found what they claim are retro-fitted resistors in various places related to the airbag system, allegedly because "someone" has tried to cover up the fact that the airbags do not work (maybe due to previous collision). They say I need to tear down the whole thing to figure out where else there might be such home-made fixes.

I find this very odd. Identifying the right wires in a thick loom and putting in the correct resistors seems like a very expensive and sophisticated way to avoid fixing the actual problem (say, a new airbag). The wiring is very much tucked away behind panels etc.

When I ask a friend who works designing car electrics he immediately says: those T5s could have been built with three seats, then when they convert the vehicle to a Cali at VW they need to modify the airbag system for two seats, and thus add resistors in place of the removed components.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Having the garage tear our a bunch of electric components which are SUPPOSED to be there seems like a VERY bad use of my money.

You would think I should trust the "experts" at the garage, but I am in Sweden and Californias are rare. Most mechanics have probably never worked on one, and they may well not have the right manuals for a 2006 T5. Obviously, I will insist they double-check with VW in Germany.

Thanks in advance

John