Replaced my VW suspension - Finally a decent ride

Mr T

Mr T

Chris
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Previously I had a T5.1 SE which I had 30mm sportline lowering springs fitted to, and I promised myself when it was out of Warranty I would replace it with coilovers as I was never happy with the ride. By the time the Warranty was up I sold it and purchased a T6 Ocean. This has just turned 1 year old, again upon collection I had sportline springs fitted. Recently I changed the wheels from 17" to 18" and this just exaggerated the issue of poor ride quality even further.
I have spent the last few months researching what to do for the best. The world of Transporters is full of people who claim their ride is brilliant despite it being lower than a snakes belly. I didn't want to achieve stupid lows, I just wanted to go lower than stock, and make it a far more comfortable ride.

My research led me to the T6Forum and more specifically CRS Performance. I read up on all the information and advice offered by the owner, Steve Hurley, and engaged in conversation with him regarding what to do for the best with my Cali. What this guy doesn't know about suspension clearly isn't worth knowing. He explained in detail all the different kits on the market and the issues with them, and why they don't give the best ride or handling. Steve works with H&R and Koni.
He says "Most suppliers use MONO tube hi pressure shock absorbers . MONO tube shocks by nature offer a capable but harsh ride compared to Dual tube type shocks. The H&R kit provided by CRS Performance is Dual tube Coil over kit that is an official H&R product and is T U V approved , has the big advantage that it has Damping adjustable shocks which are great for controlling bigger wheels and tuning the performance to suit owners needs . This is not a feature offered in most of the popular offerings and why many many conversations on social media go on about loss of comfort."

Steve suggested to me that I should consider the Sport Kit he supplies, which can give drops up to 50mm (4 different springs available depending on what you want and how heavy your vehicle is) and Koni Shocks, but would give THE MOST comfortable ride available. The alternative is the coilover kit which will go lower than 50mm, is obviously adjustable - on vehicle - and will still provide a much improved comfort level compared with stock.

After much discussion I went with the H&R/Koni coilover kit. I had it fitted yesterday, and cannot believe the improvement over stock shocks/sportline springs this has made. Even the steering is more responsive and feels much more car like.

I have no connection to CRS Performance but I am genuinely impressed with what they have done. I would recommend anyone who is unhappy with the van like driving characteristics of their California to speak with Steve. www.crsperformance.co.uk

Thanks for reading this long post, here's my Cali on the Coilovers:

IMG_6029.jpg

Previously I had a T5.1 SE which I had 30mm sportline lowering springs fitted to, and I promised myself when it was out of Warranty I would replace it with coilovers as I was never happy with the ride. By the time the Warranty was up I sold it and purchased a T6 Ocean. This has just turned 1 year old, again upon collection I had sportline springs fitted. Recently I changed the wheels from 17" to 18" and this just exaggerated the issue of poor ride quality even further.
I have spent the last few months researching what to do for the best. The world of Transporters is full of people who claim their ride is brilliant despite it being lower than a snakes belly. I didn't want to achieve stupid lows, I just wanted to go lower than stock, and make it a far more comfortable ride.

My research led me to the T6Forum and more specifically CRS Performance. I read up on all the information and advice offered by the owner, Steve Hurley, and engaged in conversation with him regarding what to do for the best with my Cali. What this guy doesn't know about suspension clearly isn't worth knowing. He explained in detail all the different kits on the market and the issues with them, and why they don't give the best ride or handling. Steve works with H&R and Koni.
He says "Most suppliers use MONO tube hi pressure shock absorbers . MONO tube shocks by nature offer a capable but harsh ride compared to Dual tube type shocks. The H&R kit provided by CRS Performance is Dual tube Coil over kit that is an official H&R product and is T U V approved , has the big advantage that it has Damping adjustable shocks which are great for controlling bigger wheels and tuning the performance to suit owners needs . This is not a feature offered in most of the popular offerings and why many many conversations on social media go on about loss of comfort."

Steve suggested to me that I should consider the Sport Kit he supplies, which can give drops up to 50mm (4 different springs available depending on what you want and how heavy your vehicle is) and Koni Shocks, but would give THE MOST comfortable ride available. The alternative is the coilover kit which will go lower than 50mm, is obviously adjustable - on vehicle - and will still provide a much improved comfort level compared with stock.

After much discussion I went with the H&R/Koni coilover kit. I had it fitted yesterday, and cannot believe the improvement over stock shocks/sportline springs this has made. Even the steering is more responsive and feels much more car like.

I have no connection to CRS Performance but I am genuinely impressed with what they have done. I would recommend anyone who is unhappy with the van like driving characteristics of their California to speak with Steve. www.crsperformance.co.uk

View attachment 60471
Looks good and yo7 say it rides well. May we ask about cost?

Currently the prices offered for what I was considering were as follows:
The sport kit shocks only to link to the current sportline springs £595
The sport shocks and new 40 mm springs £ 840.00
The Coilover kit which is height and damping adjustable is £1195.00
Fitting is £150
have 2 year warranty and above prices include VAT

View attachment 60471

@Mr T thanks for sharing.
I’ve been exchanging emails over the last week with Steve and I’m considering going with his advice and having the Koni shocks and springs swop.
Van is out of Warranty end of next week, so am going to have the van lowered.
Can’t stand the standard Ocean suspension setup. My old T4 was miles better on KW springs at 60mm lowering.

@Mr T thanks for sharing.
I’ve been exchanging emails over the last week with Steve and I’m considering going with his advice and having the Koni shocks and springs swop.
Van is out of Warranty end of next week, so am going to have the van lowered.
Can’t stand the standard Ocean suspension setup. My old T4 was miles better on KW springs at 60mm lowering.

You won’t be disappointed! I nearly went with the sports kit as you are considering and Steve tried down selling me from the coilover kit to that but I wanted it to be obviously lower than the sportline springs I already had. As the Cali is quite heavy to 40mm springs he’s offering will drop nearer 50mm from standard probably.
I decided not to wait for the warranty to be up, just wasn’t happy with the ride.
Now I am.

Last edited:
The stance looks great now.
Good to hear the ride has improved too.

Given how expensive the Cali is, in my view the van based suspension is very poor as standard. Changing to Eibach coil overs has transformed the ride for our Cali, as you say more car like and fun to drive. It’s how it should come out of the factory.

Fitting is £150
Thanks for that. I’m tempted with my T5.1!

Insurance implications? Presumably you need to at least tell your insurer?

This is a popular recurring topic and there are as many opinions as there are threads.
Personally I’ve got a 204 T6 4 Motion and i find it absolutely fine.
I’ve been cautioned by a VW mechanic and tyre fitters not to mess with the suspension on a 4 Motion.
Others probably disagree but on the odd occasion when I’ve had mine off piste I wouldn’t feel happy it being any lower.

Mike

Fitting is £150
Hi Mr T
can you advise the actual parts ordered as I wish to speak to Steve about this set up?

Hi Mr T
can you advise the actual parts ordered as I wish to speak to Steve about this set up?

I went with the H&R/Koni coilover kit, Steve will talk to you and advise on options based on what you want/the vehicle you have.

Of course, it’s a modification.
Safeguard charges me I think £25 or £75 can’t remember for wheels, bars, remap and suspension changes.

Here here. I added the -30 on purchase, wasn’t happy so changed again to the eibach coilovers from Vw. Great ride but nose up.
sent it to Steve for the afternoon and he worked his magic and levelled it up and now sitting -70mm. Perfect for me and a great improvement on the original ride.

Back