Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Renogy 100w solar panel suitcase type

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi my 2013 van I have had from new and the battery used to last 4-5 days but over the years it has slowly lost its capacity so I was considering getting one of these folding suitcase type solar panels . I just wondered if I get one with the controller how does this connect to the internal batteries or is it not a good idea to do that ?
Thanks Ray

I connect the larger suitcase one to the cigar lighter socket on side of kitchen unit ( leisure battery) and the smaller one on the right to the cigar socket on pull out cup holder next to gear stick ( vehicle battery) i did fit a cigar plug to the input of the controller to make this easy, it can be a few weeks sometimes before I use the cali ( the leisure battery voltage is checked via my on line tracker which is wires to the leisure battery) and now my leisure battery os always fully charged and I never jave a problem starting cali

D6F2CB0D-2093-4B50-9FBE-238B15B2E843.jpeg

Hi thanks for that ....I use the van every day as a normal vehicle to and fro work Do you use the power controller (that you can get with suitcase model )or do you plug direct ? ie panels to battery ? Isnt that more than 12V though and wont that damage anything ? Thanks Ray

Hi thanks for that ....I use the van every day as a normal vehicle to and fro work Do you use the power controller (that you can get with suitcase model )or do you plug direct ? ie panels to battery ? Isnt that more than 12V though and wont that damage anything ? Thanks Ray
With some small inefficient solar panels aimed at "trickle charging" people get away without a charge controller because the currents they produce would struggle to over charge the battery. (It's still not recommended though) But for any decent size solar panel a charge controller is a must, if you over charge your batteries they will gas up, which is smelly and dangerous and will ruin them forever!

As you use the van everyday then the Leisure Batteries should be fully charged but obviously they cannot hold the charge being 10 yrs or so old. A suitcase solar panel is not going to extend the period very much unless in full sunlight for long periods of time whilst camping.
I think it would be more cost effective to replace both Leisure Batteries in the first instance, or just accept 24+ hrs off grid or unlimited time on mains hookup.

As you use the van everyday then the Leisure Batteries should be fully charged but obviously they cannot hold the charge being 10 yrs or so old. A suitcase solar panel is not going to extend the period very much unless in full sunlight for long periods of time whilst camping.
I think it would be more cost effective to replace both Leisure Batteries in the first instance, or just accept 24+ hrs off grid or unlimited time on mains hookup.
Hi , I kind of know thats probably the best thing to do but just like the thought of it and if i were to get new batteries Id use the panel to make sure they last longer ....this time . I dont know if you need to get the power controller or just plug it into the cig lighter socket ?

Hi , I kind of know thats probably the best thing to do but just like the thought of it and if i were to get new batteries Id use the panel to make sure they last longer ....this time . I dont know if you need to get the power controller or just plug it into the cig lighter socket ?
A fixed rooftop panel would be more efficient and always On.

I still have my 130watt suitcase for sale if intrested. it has mppt and pwm solar charge controllers and works well, make me a sensible offer

Back