Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remove storage under rear bench on 2019 California?

J

jonathanweaver

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey all,
long time reader, first time writer.
Question for you, I wanted to buy a 2019 California but surf regularly and wanted to ask if its possible to remove the storage under the rear bench seat as that would be perfect to slide a board under.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Jonathan

Hey all,
Question for you, I wanted to buy a 2019 California but surf regularly and wanted to ask if its possible to remove the storage under the rear bench seat as that would be perfect to slide a board under.
Jonathan
Anything is possible but would be quite time consuming taking it out and putting it back again. It would be a lot easier to put surf boards on the roof with the correct bars. You would get 2 on there nicely.

If you mean the large drawer under the 2 seat bench it’s really easy to take out. Remove 2 screws that are visible inside the drawer and it just lifts off the rails.
No more than a 2 min job.
Probably need a bit of tape or something to hold the rails in place.

You will also need to find a new home for the jack etc that’s stowed at the rear of the seat behind the drawer.

I do manage to fit two 8’4” longboards inside, stacking one on top of the other. For transport only of course.

654948E7-11DF-4F82-B4A9-63335476EF5B.jpeg

If you mean the large drawer under the 2 seat bench it’s really easy to take out. Remove 2 screws that are visible inside the drawer and it just lifts off the rails.
No more than a 2 min job.
Probably need a bit of tape or something to hold the rails in place.
ah thanks so much for your help! thats amazing to know. thanks!

In an accident would that be “ Bye Bye Head”?
There’s a rope tried between the two headrests slighty below shoulder height that the tip (actually, tail) rests on. In event of a dramatic stop, the fins of the board will act as wedges against the rope and stop it from going forward between the seats and into the windshield.

There’s a rope tried between the two headrests slighty below shoulder height that the tip (actually, tail) rests on. In event of a dramatic stop, the fins of the board will act as wedges against the rope and stop it from going forward between the seats and into the windshield.
you think a 6'2 or so would fit in that space where the storage is?

I'm not a surfer but based on my experience transporting bit's of wood etc, i'm pretty sure something that is 6'2" long would just rest diagonally with one end in-between the headrests on the bench seat and the other on the floor in the gap between the front seats.

I'm not a surfer but based on my experience transporting bit's of wood etc, i'm pretty sure something that is 6'2" long would just rest diagonally with one end in-between the headrests on the bench seat and the other on the floor in the gap between the front seats.
I would just lay the bed flat as I assume you are not carrying rear seat passengers.

I looked at this for the same reason and from memory the seat has reinforcing that blocks the gap even if the drawer is removed so you couldn't slide a board in.

Hey all,
Jonathan
I’ve fitted a 9’6, a 9’ and a 7’ with the bed laid flat and the longer 2 wedged between front seats and all 3 held back with a bungee to stop them moving. Plenty of room to drive safely.

ah thanks everyone. yeah it would be quite crucial to get it underneath. I found a dream California but thats my only sticking point now. really need a way to carry two kids and two surf boards without putting them on the roof.

ah thanks everyone. yeah it would be quite crucial to get it underneath. I found a dream California but thats my only sticking point now. really need a way to carry two kids and two surf boards without putting them on the roof.
Might be better off with a conversion to meet your needs. Californias are great if the layout works for you but there are some really good conversion companies out there as well that could provide a more flexible solution.

@jonathanweaver what is the reason for not putting them on the roof?

You would limit internal storage by putting inside.

roof works really well and with the lower bars it doesn't add much height.
Otherwise if the boards being inside is a must with all 4 of you travelling, especially if there is more than one board, then something like the Kepler 6 might work better for you?

Back