Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remote working newbie - power query

BenCar

BenCar

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi forum,

I'm due to collect my T6 Starlightblue ocean at the beginning of March. We've been after one for decades and the fam is super excited.
I would like to take the occasional day away from the office and work remotely at the beach with the dog. I know that there is a 3pin socket in the van but was told it doesn't have much power. I will need power for a laptop and an external monitor.

Is there someone out there who knows how I can power this stuff?
Do I need to buy a portable power station (Anker 521?) or is there an alternative.

Apologies, I dont quite understand electrical numbers.

Thanks
Ben

I plug my laptop into the usb sockets by the sink and can use it all day long - running off the leisure batteries . Not sure about a separate monitor, though.

You have 300w 230v ac available, should be enough for you. I estimate you will be using +/- 200 W maximum. This needs 200/12 amps from leisure batteries or 17 A.
You may use interior lights , heating , fridge ? Let us estimate mean hourly use of 20 Amps from leisure batteries. If batteries are 100% charged you can safely use 80 Ah .
This means 80 Ah / 20 A = 4 h use.
Check wattage of laptop and monitor and calculate again. You will probably be able to work 6h without discharging batteries too far on an average day.
Maybe other forum members have hands on experience.

On the T6 the onboard invertor is specced to 150 W. If laptop + monitor together exceed this wattage, then the cheapest and most energy efficient option is to use a 12 V usb-c car charger for the laptop.

Thanks forum.
So I could use 12v usb for the laptop and the 3 pin for the external monitor and have 6hr usage?
If so that would be superb.
b

Thanks forum.
So I could use 12v usb for the laptop and the 3 pin for the external monitor and have 6hr usage?
If so that would be superb.
b
On the panel by the kitchen sink, the 3 pin 240v is only powered on with shore power.

You can run the laptop off usb power from the cigarette lighter socket on this panel (do check power requirements)

If the monitor needs 240v, you have a 150w inverter on the left side B pillar bottom. However, remember that this does not produce a clean sine wave and can damage electronic equipment.

When I need to, I run a 300w sine wave inverter from the cigarette lighter socket next to the sink and then run the laptop and monitor off that sine wave inverter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On the panel by the kitchen sink, the 3 pin 240v is only powered on with shore power.

You can run the laptop off usb power from the cigarette lighter socket on this panel (do check power requirements)

If the monitor needs 240v, you have a 150w inverter on the left side B pillar bottom. However, remember that this does not produce a clean sine wave and can damage electronic equipment.

When I need to, I run a 300w sine wave inverter from the cigarette lighter socket next to the sink and then run the laptop and monitor off that sine wave inverter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Can you provide a link to the 300w sine wave inverter you use please?

1000w pure sine wave, brilliant bit of kit

Screenshot_20240225_051444_eBay.jpg

Hi forum,

I'm due to collect my T6 Starlightblue ocean at the beginning of March. We've been after one for decades and the fam is super excited.
I would like to take the occasional day away from the office and work remotely at the beach with the dog. I know that there is a 3pin socket in the van but was told it doesn't have much power. I will need power for a laptop and an external monitor.

Is there someone out there who knows how I can power this stuff?
Do I need to buy a portable power station (Anker 521?) or is there an alternative.

Apologies, I dont quite understand electrical numbers.

Thanks
Ben

Hi there, I work from my van 4 days a weeks year round. Have you thought this through? I have a MacBook Air M2 and use an iPad Pro as a second screen and a Duex Max as a third screen. All can be run off of USB C via a 12v socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently using an equivalent of this: https://amzn.to/3OSFFfp

I'd be lost without the extra screen real estate (lots of spreadsheets, word docs, analytical work), and doesn't really add much re storage bulk.

Worth keeping in mind that the table size is a limiting factor if you also use a mouse. Then again, my DPI preferences mean I need a football pitch sized table for my work :D

Hi there, I work from my van 4 days a weeks year round. Have you thought this through? I have a MacBook Air M2 and use an iPad Pro as a second screen and a Duex Max as a third screen. All can be run off of USB C via a 12v socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know such monitors existed, thanks.
I do some high end retouching occasionally but I think for the 95% of my work a USB-c screen would be perfect.
Thx.
Ben

Back