Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Refused entry to Caravan Club Campsite

T6Beach

T6Beach

VIP Member
Yesterday we were refused entry to a Caravan Club site in the Cotswolds, the reason the jobsworth warden gave was that we did not have a kitchen in our van!! We have a portable stove in our van and we normally use the sites washing up area so what is the problem? We are totally disgusted by this new rule and are currently awaiting a call back from their head office.Has anyone else had this problem?

No. I know the sites were sent a memo last year from HO stating that the Beach is an acceptable vehicle. I was shown this by a warden in a site in Devon but I was not allowed a copy. I also rang HO to check their understanding and they told me that there is no problem. We have stayed at several sites this year and have not been challenged yet.

To be honest I don't think you are missing out by not being allowed on CC sites. There are plenty of nice sites out there which are not operated by robots masquerading as wardens.

Last edited:
This was a caravan club site, not a c&cc site, we have not had a problem with c&cc.

The warden insinuated this was a totally new rule, not just against Beaches but it is to stop people turning up with a mattress in the back of a transit van!

We showed him the fixed bed but we were still refused, very upsetting as we only joined two weeks ago to especially stay at this site.

Are you a member of the Caravan Club?
I think you have run foul of their definition of Motorhome/ Campervan. Fixed bed, cooking and washing facilities. Caravans/Motorhomes and Trailer Tents are allowed at All sites because they do BUT Tents are only allowed at some 60 sites and a Tents does not have the fixed fixtures .

The Camping and Caravan Club have no such distinction.

The Warden was just following the rules. Remember, it is a Club with rules etc: made by the membership representatives for and on behalf of the Members.
The fault lies with the On-Line Membership application for not making clear these definitions and limitations.

Last edited:
the reason the jobsworth warden gave was that we did not have a kitchen in our van
One reason not to have Beach on the side. But surly one VW camper looks like another to a small minded warden. I would think it is a "warden" issue rather than a Caravan club issue. Our van is a debadged SE and were are not inspected to see if we have a cooker, Await your feedback from head office.

We are members of the Caravan Club and also have a new T6 Beach. We have used it five times so far on CC sites with no problems at all. I queried this issue before taking out insurance with the CC and was told that the Beach is welcome at all CC sites.
It's my guess that this warden either has his/her own agenda or is still clinging onto an old outdated rule.

It could be nice if they stick to the rules, but they don't see quite honest to my eyes.

First of all it surprise me there are Beachs insuded by them, because they told no couple of months ago because, acording to what I was told, they do not insure Beachs. Just they knows why didn'd insure me... they lose it.

On the anothef hand, last year, in the Birminham's caravan show, I was clearly told by their salesmen I will have no a problem to camp with my Beach in their camp sites if I become member..... fortunately I didn't trust them and passed.

Demand your subscription back, make sure you stop the credit card transaction. Write to someone in charge, I'm sure there are names in the magazine and name the jobsworth that denied you access.

Also put the story on as many forums you can find including the CC site.

Then thank your lucky stars that you don't have to line up ever again in one of their canyons of white bloated blobs where the only activity seems to be watching tv and trundling various types of water about the site.

Go straight to the top:
Caravan Club
-lBHWvCh_normal.jpg
Mr Nick Lomas Director General

Email nick.lomas@caravanclub.co.uk

Telephone 01342 326944
Website http://www.caravanclub.co.uk
Social Media

Postal Address East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA, UK

Pathetic.

Sadly representative of a lot of the caravan club, a club of two halves, one half for whom caravanning is a means to the end, the other half for whom it is the end. It is that latter half, a minority of members who rally, sing ging-gang-gooly around the camping-gas powered bonfire and have orgasms watching "caravanner of the year" that constitute the voting majority.

Lovely sites, in general really helpful wardens, but sadly some relics hanging on to the "glory days" when everyone belonged to a centre and every centre organised jolly events and the whole ethos of a caravan site was not spoilt by those people who actually wanted to use the site as a base to explore outward from rather than be part of a jolly on-site community.

I stopped overnight at Wyatts Covert on Monday on my way to Chester. Lovely little site, very helpful warden, couldn't have been nicer, but I could almost feel the curtains twitching as I rolled up......

And so nice to have a magnetic sign to put on the back "No tools kept in this van overnight"...... goodness, soon got the hens clucking :shocked

This has just reinforced my decision to join the CCC rather than CC.
I remember one incident many years ago when my puppy dug a hole in the CC grass at Start Bay oooooer.
GJ I must get one of those signs!

Go straight to the top:
Caravan Club
-lBHWvCh_normal.jpg
Mr Nick Lomas Director General

Email nick.lomas@caravanclub.co.uk

Telephone 01342 326944
Website http://www.caravanclub.co.uk
Social Media

Postal Address East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA, UK

You could also try Grenville Chamberlain, the Chairman, but he's probably busy still looking for bits of his caravan after the televised debacle of ripping the backside off it whilst organising "Caravanner of the year".... Bless :rolleyes:

This has just reinforced my decision to join the CCC rather than CC.
I remember one incident many years ago when my puppy dug a hole in the CC grass at Start Bay oooooer.
GJ I must get one of those signs!

Very useful sign....

I was scowled at, stared at, subjected to a whole sustained barrage of curtain-twitching and finally reported to the warden at Edinburgh last year for "cleaning my van on site".

After 10 days of touring the Highlands in winter my van was caked in salt and mud, the windows totally opaque and the number plate barely legible so I was just wiping clean those area's to make it road legal.

We have been members of the Caravan Club since last October when we purchased our Cali SE. To be honest we really only joined to get the excellent insurance package. However we have since used their sites on a couple of dozen occasions. We have always found the wardens to be very friendly and helpful and the sites very clean and well organised with excellent facilities.

So far we have not noticed any curtain twitching or staring although I am sure that it does go on as it is basic human nature to discover who your new neighbours are. Only once have we received a negative comment from another very elderly caravaner who upon passing our Cali muttered, " looks like you're setting up a bl***y market stall". However to be fair I was preparing to cook outside with our various "Really useful boxes" stacked up next to the table for use as a prep area. So his description was entirely accurate, proving that we had successfully lowered the tone of the site very nicely.

If there is any form of snobbery emanating from some other CC members about lowly VW vans being allowed in, then we haven't noticed it. However if we were ever to discover this then I would simply draw satisfaction from knowing that for the price paid for a Cali SE/Ocean you could buy two or three brand new caravans!

So far, our experience of the average main CC site is one of organised peace and quite. In fact you would probably find more action in the average grave yard than on a CC site. This shouldn't be read as a criticism as we do like peace and quite when we are away especially after having looked after our grand kids all week!

The only time that we have had a not entirely satisfactory experience was earlier this summer whilst staying on an affiliated site near Abersoch in Wales. It was hay making time and a team of contractors were tearing up and down the adjacent lane and into the farm yard with enormous tractor and trailer rigs bringing in the cut hay. The noise was deafening. However if you camp on a farm you have to accept all that goes with that environment.
The other issue was that there were lots and lots of children playing at full volume until well past eleven O'clock at night. That wasn't a problem for us but their riding their bikes in the dark, very close to my new and un-blemished Cali was. There was much nail biting until these Duracell bunnies were finally called in for recharge. Never the less that too was a lovely site in a nice area.

Last edited:
Probably my more than 40KÂŁ is not posh enought for them. Actually I don't care, I'm happy in CCC, and to be bonest not a great customer.... remember "I've got the shower" and enjoy too much tasting local food.

I joined the CC last year and had a few good stays. The driver for joining was an excellent insurance quote, which required membership. They just sent the renewal quote through - which is up 60% - so I've jacked it in, and insured with the C&CC. I'd join again if the deal was right.

I have read all the posts and think the CC point is maybe being missed.

Am I correct that they want to avoid a makeshift camper turning up, as in a transit with a bed in the back and a gas burner to cook on ?

If so, it's their business and they have the right to do that. A Beach is in a minor way what they are getting at, if the odd warden can't tell the difference between a pricey VW Beach and the Transit, it in a way is understandable.

I must add that I have never stayed on a CC site so I may be incorrect in my assumptions.

I joined the CC last year and had a few good stays. The driver for joining was an excellent insurance quote, which required membership. They just sent the renewal quote through - which is up 60%
Year 3 for us was about the same as year 1 and 2 think the slight increase due to tax being more

The point here is that CC staff have not clear rules, so regarding that I see nl excuses. I don't care the reasins why, they don't pay for my services to find tgem, but the point is that salesmen are very helpful to vrab your money and when you want to use thir wonderful services you get that.

I guess you're more VIP for them by driving a 8th hand Ford KA towing a shoes box..... not my problem, to me they are useless.

I have read all the posts and think the CC point is maybe being missed.

Am I correct that they want to avoid a makeshift camper turning up, as in a transit with a bed in the back and a gas burner to cook on ?

If so, it's their business and they have the right to do that. A Beach is in a minor way what they are getting at, if the odd warden can't tell the difference between a pricey VW Beach and the Transit, it in a way is understandable.

I must add that I have never stayed on a CC site so I may be incorrect in my assumptions.
You make a valid point about the transit but this is more about communication within the club network and the way members are being treated. The Beach has been deemed an acceptable vehicle but it appears some wardens are choosing to ignore that or a have not been brought up to date. There has been nothing in the club magazine about this either, which would help to dispel the myths around the Beach not being a Camper. If the wardens are not sure whether you are in a van or a camper, they could quite easily come and have a look and then decide if it is a proper conversion or a van with a mattress shoved in the back.

Had a call back from customer care today and they say their terms are that the unit must have a fixed bed and kitchen facilities, this is due to an increase in people turning up in day vans wanting to camp. Anyway I have now had an apology and my membership fee refunded. :sad