Refrigerator insulation

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Saw this when browsing campervanshop.eu
Easy DIY project but I wonder what people’s experience is when camping in HOT weather? Would this help to reduce leisure battery usage I wonder?

4FB2B46A-1547-4F98-8607-769C8291AE38.png

Reactions: LCD
Looks ridiculous to me but really suggests VW should have something internally if it does make a difference. Maybe the colour of your van makes a difference i.e. dark colours are worse!

You could attach some radiator backing foil with removable velcro cost about £5 all in

I’m just questioning whether it’s worthwhile? I’m doubtful. But if it is, I might carry some silver radiator foil as suggested for off grid hot summer days.

If you do a search on the forum there have been people having the fridge cut off due the heat . This is not a common thing but if you plan to go south in the summer the fridge will need to work hard , special if that side of the Cali is facing the sun.

There are lots of tips&tricks on the forum i did a DIY hack myself (if you search) and as with many California bits some make them DIY others want to pay (a lot ?) for stuff ready to go.

Like many things it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay .
Interesting, thanks hotel california.
Would seem worthwhile in hot locations, so i’ll think about a DIY solution when the time comes.

I have considered doing the inside, between the fridge and side panel. This seems to be standard practice for all of the interior of vans being converted on a DIY basis.
Negative would be the possibility of condensation being trapped behind the insulating material ultimately causing rust. Also it would keep heat in at night.

I usually park with that side in the shade or on the North facing side.

I tend to favour @kurienp's method above as it allows external air flow.

Agree looks terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had this radiator foil from the DIY market in use several times, when the Cali couldn't be parked with the fridge side in the shade. If you have to park sunny side up, it helps (a bit) to reduce heat piling up under the fridge compartment.

In the old T5.1 this is a common problem, shutting off the fridge as well as shutting off the charge controller. They both quit above approx. 54 degrees Celsius. In the T6 the charge has been replaced to the back, above the battery.

The foil should be folded double, and hanging a bit loose, so that air can ventilate under it. I have put a wooden stick in the lower end, to keep it down.

The advertized version which is sticked tight onto the metal, is worsening things. It's only collecting more heat.

1610126313445.png

Rolled up, it is easily stored:

1610126363405.png

Too much money to waste
I’ll not bother until i experience a problem but if I do, to protect against fridge and charge controller shutting down in extremely hot situations it’s not really much money. :)

Attachments

• DAAA9D81-4396-464E-A73B-039FA89D5342.png
    DAAA9D81-4396-464E-A73B-039FA89D5342.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 8