Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recompense?

Private_Kelly

Private_Kelly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well folks as of today the 31st of August 2021 my lovely shiny T6.1 Coast has been stuck at the dealers for, wait for it, a grand total of 54 days whilst they try to rectify a problem with the van. I have been in touch with VWCS and we have discussed the issue and they are prepared to offer me “goodwill” for my inconvieience. So I have a question. What goodwill or recompense do you think is reasonable to ask for after such a woeful amount of time trying to fix my van? I have the normal 3 year warranty. Maybe an extension to my warranty. What do you think.

Well folks as of today the 31st of August 2021 my lovely shiny T6.1 Coast has been stuck at the dealers for, wait for it, a grand total of 54 days whilst they try to rectify a problem with the van. I have been in touch with VWCS and we have discussed the issue and they are prepared to offer me “goodwill” for my inconvieience. So I have a question. What goodwill or recompense do you think is reasonable to ask for after such a woeful amount of time trying to fix my van? I have the normal 3 year warranty. Maybe an extension to my warranty. What do you think.
Sounds reasonable to me. Are they any closer to a resolution for you?

Sounds reasonable to me. Are they any closer to a resolution for you?
I’m not sure. Should hear today. The problem is the length of time between liaising between dealer and VW Tech / Cali Team and delay in ordering parts and fitting / testing etc etc.

I would wait until the van is actually fixed before discussing the detail. You don’t want to prejudice your position should it take another 54 days, or indeed not be appropriately resolved at all.

As others have said, @Coasterman wait until it is resolved before discussing/agreeing any ‘goodwill gesture’.
From experience VWCS is more amenable to offering goods/services than hard cash. So a Warranty Extension and free Services is a good starting point. I would still push them for more though because for an extended period you have been deprived of using the van for camping holidays etc. In my case when I couldn’t use our van for 3 weeks due to the rear bench being stuck, they funded an extra I wanted.
I would also push for a loan van until resolution - you’ve been more than patient.

Extension to a 5 years warranty and 2 free services as a starter I’d have thought. Have you thought about what you’ll do if you get it back and they haven’t fixed it?
Yes. That’s easy. Have a good cry.

great advice above (edit: not the crying)

try to look at items that will not cost VW much money, which will make it easy for VW to agree eg, :

Factory Warranty Extension is a Zero book cost item (make sure it’s “Factory“ warranty extension to 5 years not dealer extension, ask for the higher mileage option as there are two factory extension options)

Servicing - two major & two minor: low cost item to VW ( over head already built in, consumables low cost to VW) you can have the van serviced annually for the first five years at no cost to yourself - make sure all parts and labour included including filters and A/c regards etc in line with VW suggested as VW service plan

First , second and third MOT: Zero book cost to VW

Free add blue for life of vehicle : minimal cost to VW

Sizeable credit towards dealer supplied extras. Only you can decide what this value is but remember the sales brochure price is highly inflated, so have a healthy list and prioritise what you want and what would be nice .

remember you have lost a substantial part (all) of the use through summer. You need VW to make a substantial contribution to get your good will back

whatever you agree, get it in writing and have the warranty and servicing paperwork supplied so you have hard copies.

Last edited:
Probably worth factoring in how long you plan to keep the van for?
Looks like my van does have the same or similar fault as yours Coasterman :(

Probably worth factoring in how long you plan to keep the van for?
Looks like my van does have the same or similar fault as yours Coasterman :(
Well if it is. I will gind out what resolved the issue and then it could prevent a lot of faff for you

Well if it is. I will gind out what resolved the issue and then it could prevent a lot of faff for you
Thank you, I've got VW assist coming out tomorrow but I'm not very hopeful !

Good advice so far, but there has to come a day where the vehicle is not fit for purpose and can be rejected.

I had this scenario with my Discovery. It was with the dealer for longing that it was with me, so in the end I rejected the vehicle. Shortly after rejecting it, they finally found the root cause and then offered me 4 x free services, considerable amount of dealer fit options (for me to choose upto a cash value) and other sweeteners.

However, for me, the damage had been done and I stuck to my guns and got a replacement vehicle, mainly because they'd pulled the entire front dash out and there was no way that was going back together again without high risk of squeaks and further issues.

The point being, consider what you want and don't be brow beaten into accepting the vehicle if you don't want it. It's harder with a Cali, as the lead times are so long, but it's far too much of your hard earned money to buy the vehicle to compromise on.

If you're happy with some compensation, then make sure it's generous and actually you feel happy with the offer. Say (and mean) that you are prepared to reject the vehicle unless they meet your requests. Once they realise rejection is your plan B, they will be most accommodating.

For what it's worth, Land Rover had to discount £9k + for my replacement vehicle, so it's their least preferred option by a long chalk.

2 months in the peak of the summer is totally different to taking it in for repair in January and February. You were obviously planning your summer holidays with your children, which you couldn’t take. What vehicle did they give you as a replacement? If it was another California it would be more difficult to argue you missed out on your holidays. Just stick out for all you can get...They can afford it.

Let them present their offer first, and then go from there.

Should you not have had courtesy vehicle equivalent to your own if the repair was going to take this long? If the dealer hasn't got one then they should have been hiring one for you.
As this has not been forthcoming and the lack in a camper could have jeopardised a holiday you should be looking for at least £1000 per week worth of compensation for lost holiday.
Had you been a commercial purchaser of a delivery van they would have been hammered for loss of earnings by now. Why should the purchaser of a leisure vehicle be treated any differently?
It's time VW understood that if they are going to sell and warrant high level leisure vehicles they MUST provide the necessary support when things go wrong.
I bet if you had purchased a Toureg R from a VW car dealer you would have been treated very differently.

Should you not have had courtesy vehicle equivalent to your own if the repair was going to take this long? If the dealer hasn't got one then they should have been hiring one for you.
As this has not been forthcoming and the lack in a camper could have jeopardised a holiday you should be looking for at least £1000 per week worth of compensation for lost holiday.
Had you been a commercial purchaser of a delivery van they would have been hammered for loss of earnings by now. Why should the purchaser of a leisure vehicle be treated any differently?
It's time VW understood that if they are going to sell and warrant high level leisure vehicles they MUST provide the necessary support when things go wrong.
I bet if you had purchased a Toureg R from a VW car dealer you would have been treated very differently.
The supply contract with VW most probably has a clause that excludes any ‘consequential losses’ for late, or even non- delivery of a vehicle. Push for an equivalent loan right vehicle now but keep your cool and once you have your vehicle back then pursue them for a generous ‘gesture of goodwill’ as said previously.

I got £250 to spend on accessories when the fridge needed to be changed on my brand new Cali which is nothing compared to what you have endured @Coasterman .

Back