Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for between Xmas and New Year?

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

I wondered if anyone was going away between Xmas and New Year in their Cali and if they had any recommendations of great campsites at that time of year or places to visit?

Thanks

Crystal Palace C&C site. Nos 3 bus straight to Trafalgar Square for Theatre Land, Museums or if you are into it Shopping.
Did it last year - NOT the Shopping, but saw some great shows and Exhibitions.

Crystal Palace C&C site. Nos 3 bus straight to Trafalgar Square for Theatre Land, Museums or if you are into it Shopping.
Did it last year - NOT the Shopping, but saw some great shows and Exhibitions.
WelshGas, thanks for the input but not that far from Central London anyway and after Xmas shopping, I'm looking for something a bit more away from it all.....country pub, open fire perhaps a bit of walking. Just don't seem to be many sites open and the ones that are are full...

WelshGas, thanks for the input but not that far from Central London anyway and after Xmas shopping, I'm looking for something a bit more away from it all.....country pub, open fire perhaps a bit of walking. Just don't seem to be many sites open and the ones that are are full...
Middlewood Farm , Robin Hood Bay Yorkshire , although might be a far for you.

Caravan club have all year sites.
If you keep an eye on their online booking you can often be lucky at last minute first thing in the morning.

We are considering a short visit to the UK between Christmas and New Year with our 3 children (3,5 and 8). I think we'll have about 3-4 days from arrival in Dover. What would you recommend us to visit: south coast, south east coast, inland forests,..?
And suggestions on Cali locations are also welcome (preferably small isolated spots, wild camping, nature ..)

We are considering a short visit to the UK between Christmas and New Year with our 3 children (3,5 and 8). I think we'll have about 3-4 days from arrival in Dover. What would you recommend us to visit: south coast, south east coast, inland forests,..?
And suggestions on Cali locations are also welcome (preferably small isolated spots, wild camping, nature ..)

Beverly Holiday site in Paignton Devon..... They have a restaurant, a gym, an indoor pool, a children's play area and reasonably priced wifi. During school holidays they have a hall where they put on children's entertainment for the little people.The views from some of the pitches are excellent. There is plenty to see and do in the area and because it is south generally a few degrees warmer. There is a good supermarket newsagent and takeaway within walking distance. Regular bus service. The staff are nice and the shower and toilet blocks are always clean and tidy.

http://www.beverley-holidays.co.uk/parks/

Have a Merry One.

Have stayed at Hilltop a cc site in Brixham. It does get very popular. We have family nearby but they have good New Year entertainment and food but we were babysitting that night.

I am going to Somerset to have my hair done! :shocked

Good grief, how much more creativity can I exercise in the good cause of blogging more days away in Albert :sad

Seriously a dear friend of mine, also the best hairdresser I have ever known, has given me good cause to visit for a couple of days so I will be nestled at the foot of the quantocks in one of the most gloriously beautiful and surprisingly empty parts of the UK.

If you want something like that then both CC and CC&C have campsites in Minehead. Quantocks one way, SW coast path and Exmoor the other, West quay an excellent location in Minehead and opposite end to Butlins, steam railway through the Quantocks to Bishops Lideyard near Taunton and both busy and quiet on offer.

Edit:

If you like a walk in stunning scenery with not too much exertion ... This is ,,,well worth it

Last edited:
Hi,

I wondered if anyone was going away between Xmas and New Year in their Cali and if they had any recommendations of great campsites at that time of year or places to visit?

Thanks
I spent an overnight on the UK Caravan Club's site (paid £11 for non member fee) at Chatsworth last weekend. Really really nice, in some of the most beautiful countryside in England. But, give the Robin Hood pub just down the road a miss! Awful!

I'm staying at Carvynick Holiday Park in Cornwall over New Year. Never stayed there before, but it has an onsite pub/restaurant and one other down the road. Its near to all my favourite beaches at Gwithian, Newquay, St Agnes and St Ives bay. Might just try a New year's day swim.

I spent an overnight on the UK Caravan Club's site (paid £11 for non member fee) at Chatsworth last weekend. Really really nice, in some of the most beautiful countryside in England. But, give the Robin Hood pub just down the road a miss! Awful!
We spent our first night away at Chatsworth cc site.
Nip out the back gate to get into the estate.

Good grief, how much more creativity can I exercise in the good cause of blogging more days away in Albert :sad

Seriously a dear friend of mine, also the best hairdresser I have ever known, has given me good cause to visit for a couple of days so I will be nestled at the foot of the quantocks in one of the most gloriously beautiful and surprisingly empty parts of the UK.

If you want something like that then both CC and CC&C have campsites in Minehead. Quantocks one way, SW coast path and Exmoor the other, West quay an excellent location in Minehead and opposite end to Butlins, steam railway through the Quantocks to Bishops Lideyard near Taunton and both busy and quiet on offer.

Edit:

If you like a walk in stunning scenery with not too much exertion ... This is ,,,well worth it

I certainly agree that really is a fantastic walk. I have very fond memories walking that section of the South West Coast Path with my beloved Welsh Collie 'Flossie' , maybe, God willing, I will walk that way again.
There is a tale that during WW2 at Sherrycombe, Combe Martin, German submarines took on fresh water from the waterfall there, the submariners also playing football on the small hidden beach. After the war an elderly lady told some local fisherman how she would give strawberry sandwiches to nice 'foreign sounding' men ! I don't know if its true but its a nice tale all the same.
I intend to wild camp under the stars on Exmoor.

Beddgelert Forestry site, walking in Snowdonia, steam railway, pubs/bistros in the village, scenery, hard standing, electrics, shop on site. Good camping/outdoor shop in the village too.

Edit:

Oh YES! Do not bother with the C@C site if you have a white box the access is not good. California not a problem, the views are to die for and there is a walk through the forest down to Minehead. If you book the CC site which is nearer to Minehead make sure you ask for one of the lower pitches... The ones on the top where they always seem to send Newbies is under a cliff dark and dank. make sure you visit Dunster Castle Plenty to do as GJ has said. Seasons Greetings.

I certainly agree that really is a fantastic walk. I have very fond memories walking that section of the South West Coast Path with my beloved Welsh Collie 'Flossie' , maybe, God willing, I will walk that way again.
There is a tale that during WW2 at Sherrycombe, Combe Martin, German submarines took on fresh water from the waterfall there, the submariners also playing football on the small hidden beach. After the war an elderly lady told some local fisherman how she would give strawberry sandwiches to nice 'foreign sounding' men ! I don't know if its true but its a nice tale all the same.
I intend to wild camp under the stars on Exmoor.
I don’t know about drinking from the waterfall. My 8 year old got a terrible tummy bug last year from taking a sip from a waterfall just up the coast at St Audries Bay. Having said that, St Audries Bay campsite is very nice, has a pool and games (pool tables, slot machines) for kids and a path straight down to the beach. Not sure if it’s open over the Christmas period though.