Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recent owner of Grand Cali 680

Pietergrandcali

Pietergrandcali

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hello,

My name is Pieter van der Have. 63 years and living in Wijchen, Holland.
Since a few months my girlfriend and I own a Grand Cali 680 from 2019.
At this moment we travel through Italy.
On our way from Holland to the South we had some problems with the microswitch of the tap above the sink. By means of a repairinstruction in this forum I managed to fix it. Thanks. Very helpfull.
Maybe I can be of help in the future for other people.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Hi we are looking forward to picking up our new 680, due to be delivered in 4 weeks. Our dealer has offered to fit a tracker/ immobiliser for a price. Doesn't the 680 come with adequate security? Before collection is there anything you suggest we should consider asking etc.
Kevin

Hi we are looking forward to picking up our new 680, due to be delivered in 4 weeks. Our dealer has offered to fit a tracker/ immobiliser for a price. Doesn't the 680 come with adequate security? Before collection is there anything you suggest we should consider asking etc.
Kevin
It is Thactham Category 1 alarmed.
However some insurers insist upon a certain category of Tracker, best check what category they might fit as it may not be acceptable to the insurers you opted for. Also there will be a yearly subscription.
Personally I rely on the factory fitted alarm.

Congratulations by the way

Congrats, depending on your insurer they may also insist on having both tracker and thatcham alarm fitted, our previous Motorhome required this, due to the value being +£75k. We have one of the first Cali 680 that was a VW demo, it has pretty much all extras, but does not have an alarm! So we took out a tracker subscription, we pay £12 per month and can cancel at any time without any penalties. As mentioned, ensure that the tracker being fitted is recognised by your insurer.

Congrats, depending on your insurer they may also insist on having both tracker and thatcham alarm fitted, our previous Motorhome required this, due to the value being +£75k. We have one of the first Cali 680 that was a VW demo, it has pretty much all extras, but does not have an alarm! So we took out a tracker subscription, we pay £12 per month and can cancel at any time without any penalties. As mentioned, ensure that the tracker being fitted is recognised by your insurer.
Morning I would be surprised if you don’t as from 2017 i.e. when the Crafter first came out they are listed with a cat one alarm system.

And I did have a 600 in January 2020 this was the very first one to be sold to the public which also had a cat one alarm fitted as standard.
I understand that the European model does not come with a cat one alarm system.

Sorry to doubt you.

Morning I would be surprised if you don’t as from 2017 i.e. when the Crafter first came out they are listed with a cat one alarm system.

And I did have a 600 in January 2020 this was the very first one to be sold to the public which also had a cat one alarm fitted as standard.
I understand that the European model does not come with a cat one alarm system.

Sorry to doubt you.
Nope, it does not and there a few more early GC’s out there that didn’t come with an alarm. I spoke to VW U.K. who said as much and one of my earlier questions/threads about an alarm also confirms another member, who like me does not have an alarm on their GC. They were early GC’s spec’d for the shows etc. some (like mine) even have the odd EU socket in them (it is RHD), mine is registered in Aug 2019. Got to be honest, I am not bothered, as it came with pretty much everything else and the previous owner had a tracker installed so I just had to re-activate the subscription - driving assist packs, 4motion, AC, Sat Dish, removable tow bar etc.

Last edited:
It is Thactham Category 1 alarmed.
However some insurers insist upon a certain category of Tracker, best check what category they might fit as it may not be acceptable to the insurers you opted for. Also there will be a yearly subscription.
Personally I rely on the factory fitted alarm.

Congratulations by the way
Hi Jester thanks, there is a first year free insurance with VW. To take advantage you do need a specufic standard of tracker fitted. Still waiting for the dealer to return that info.

Thanks I've looked into the tracker and think it's probably worth it. VW are offering the first year of insurance free providing it has a Thatcham 4 tracker fitted.

Back