Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear seats comfort

O

Ollie913

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all , hope there might be some general advice out there as I’ve had a search and can’t find anything . We used to have a T4 conversion , bog standard r and r bed where the kids sat however they were little then and didn’t Moan . Weve had a t5 caravelle for years now with lovely and comfy rear leather seats which are great on long journeys however now I’ve gone Back to a T4 California the rear seat is not half as comfy . We travel quite far and on average 2/2500 miles on on French trips so I imagine my now 18 yr old and 15yr old will definitely feel the difference in comfort. Has anybody had the same difficulties ie uncomfortable on long journeys with bigger kids and what have you tried ? I had thought about a piece of memory foam or such like but rather than trial and error I’d be grateful for ideas and what has worked for you . Oh and no we can’t just leave them at home

We put two small pieces of memory foam in the back

Cheers , I did think about a bench type piece of memory foam and maybe a fitted sheet of some sort

Hi all , hope there might be some general advice out there as I’ve had a search and can’t find anything . We used to have a T4 conversion , bog standard r and r bed where the kids sat however they were little then and didn’t Moan . Weve had a t5 caravelle for years now with lovely and comfy rear leather seats which are great on long journeys however now I’ve gone Back to a T4 California the rear seat is not half as comfy . We travel quite far and on average 2/2500 miles on on French trips so I imagine my now 18 yr old and 15yr old will definitely feel the difference in comfort. Has anybody had the same difficulties ie uncomfortable on long journeys with bigger kids and what have you tried ? I had thought about a piece of memory foam or such like but rather than trial and error I’d be grateful for ideas and what has worked for you . Oh and no we can’t just leave them at home
We just bought some cushions from IKEA. They’re very mouldable, rather than plumped up normal cushions.

Thanks , which ones did you get ? I’m away over there this week to get a few bits and bobs for the van

The Caravelle shares the same rear seat design as the 5 seat Beach, so is shaped for passenger comfort and hence comfy on longer trips (but needs an additonal mat for sleeping when folded to iron out the bumps.)

The 4 seat Ocean + 4 seat Beach has a more basic rear seat with a flatter design (so can be slept on without a mattress) ; A T4 Cali will have a flatter seat design similar to an Ocean, so likely that adults, older children will notice a difference if they are used to the caravelle seat. Head rest will also make a big difference to comfort.

Yeah thanks , the caravelle without a topper was awful so we use a sea to summit air bed . I’ve just bought a comfortz topper for the T4 for sleeping as it also feels too firm but will check out some memory foam for the rear , suppose we will just do less long journeys and swapping with the front passenger to keep them happy

On the rear seat of my 2007 SE I use the pillows that are also used for bedding. Two for the back of the seat and two for sitting on, never had any complaints!

On the rear seat of my 2007 SE I use the pillows that are also used for bedding. Two for the back of the seat and two for sitting on, never had any complaints!
Suppose I overlook the obvious! I might just get some memory foam pillows , cheers

Suppose I overlook the obvious! I might just get some memory foam pillows , cheers
It might matter that the pillows I use are not the top quailty fat bouncy ones, just cos we prefer some a bit more squashy for sleeping! Use of the pillows has another advantage cos you don't have to store them anywhere. :)

It might matter that the pillows I use are not the top quailty fat bouncy ones, just cos we prefer some a bit more squashy for sleeping! Use of the pillows has another advantage cos you don't have to store them anywhere. :)
Absolutely - the perfect Cali accessory is one that has more than a single purpose !:thumb

Back